on 19 August 1999
I am a voracious reader of all kinds of books and I must say this one truly suprised me. A lot of fantasy novels are quite predictable but this one was surely not. The ending made the entire trilogy worthwhile. Richard Awlinson, for those that don't know, is a pseudonym for the Avatar project for TSR. Troy Denning actually penned this book (published back in 89) setting the standard for the Forgotten Realms novels as well as the fantasy genre in general. Most likely, this will win the coveted Goochie Award for this year in the fantasy category and will be a major competitor for the big prize! My hat is off!
on 20 July 1997
This was the first Forgotten Realms novel I managed to finish (I started several others and was so dissapointed I couldn't finish them) and I was very impressed. Interesting characters, great descriptions of the Realms, and a good plot all made for an enjoyable read. It also had an interesting ending (just who is that mysterious figure Lord Ao converses with in the last couple of paragraphs?).
on 16 April 1999
This book carried the perfect ending for the first three. And the later book Prince of Lies expands more into the ending of the avatar trilogy. This book and the other two books in the avatar trilogy are classic works of art, i was hooked by book one of the avatar trilogy and couldnt help but read the other two. A must read for all Forgotten Realms fans.
on 23 April 1998
This is an outstanding book. The author(s) capture the mortal-becoming-god feel exactly as it should be. If you have read other Realms books with Cyric in them, then this entire trilogy will be a suprise to you. A brilliant ending with the ascensions to godhood. I would give it a 20/10.
on 22 March 1998
an ending like this is why you bothered reading all three books. it is an ending of unbelievable happening, and a total chaos - anything you ever dreamed can happen. cheers to the writers who had the guts to make their own rules, and write lines you read again ans again and again...
on 4 January 1998
This has to be the most memorable book I've read if not the most memorable trilogy. Fantastic writing. Excellent story. Always kept me asking whats next. Couldn't believe what did happen. Full of surprises. My hat is off to you, good writing.
on 10 February 1999
If you like the Forgotten Realms setting this is definatly a must read.This is one of those books you can't put down. I've read this series 3 times. The book hooks you at the biging and keeps you till the end
on 16 August 2014
The series continues to strengthen, and the character relationships are better represented. The style remains somewhat simplistic, but a much more readable book than Shadowdale.
on 16 February 1998
I bought it, i read it. Read it, but dont bother buying it.
on 28 March 1999
A group of nobodies goes through a series of adventures and then rises to the highest reaches of power - in other words, basically every other fantasy novel that typifies the worst of the genre. Such predictable tales, when well-written, are enjoyable, but this is just more of the same old, same old. Not recommended.