5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for training
I used this book to set up my training routines. I don't really understand the comments about the book being "too technical". Training and setting up routines is a technical subject. Setting your max heart rate and lactate thresholds is pretty tricky but once I'd taken the time to do that my performance improved no end working with the workout suggestions.
Published on 12 Sept. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades, master of none
Published on 18 May 2003 by R. Lyon

2.0 out of 5 stars Jack of all trades, master of none, 18 May 2003
R. Lyon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
I bought a heat rate monitor and needed some advice on how to use it effectively, so turned to this. I mountain bike - but the cycling section refers exclusively to the spray-on lycra brigade and their peculiar regimes. I run - but the running section contained flat out contradictions (e.g. "training plan phase I: hard day, run 30 minutes at 75% effort; moderate day, run 40 minutes at 80% effort").
Look elsewhere - there are plenty of titles.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wandering, without meat, 9 Mar. 1999
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
The first chapters could be used for POLAR promotional material. They are repetitive, sale-sy and without any real substance. The contributions by other authors are better, and they do offer some good introductory material for the person interested in fitness training, but little to help in setting up a program, goals, methods, etc. The final discussions about software presents a list of criteria for good software, but no contacts, no list of products or companies, no web page URLs. The reason this book is not a one star book, is because of the multiple authors and perspectives that round out and give a little credibility to the message.

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and, in places, just wrong, 25 Jun. 2005
R. Lyon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
I bought this book when I got my Heart Rate Monitor. One simple example illustrates this book's fundamental failure: "Hard Day - run 15-30 minutes at 65-75% effort". "Moderate Day - run 20-40 minutes at 75-80% effort". That's right - run harder for longer on easier days! With that howling editorial failure, none of the rest of the material can be trusted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for training, 12 Sept. 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars not for the average person, 26 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
This book is geared more for the person into competive training. I did not find it at all uesful for a general fitness program.

2.0 out of 5 stars An In-depth book for the serious., 11 Jun. 1999
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
It is a very good book if you are interested in the theory of heart rate training. I found it overwhelming (as another reader did) in that it was a little too technical. I don't like the way there are different authors to different sports. I have to agree that it is written towards Polar but does not that matter when the book has so many other things to offer. This is a good book but just wasn't the sort of book that I was looking for. I am a fitness fanatic not a runner or inline skater or triathlete!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent reference source, 5 Dec. 1999
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
I am currently studying A Level PE & BTEC Sports Science, and found this book to be invaluable to my course. If you have anything to do with fitness trainin programmes you need this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book answers your questions, 5 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
Being a traumatologist and involved with questions of sports medicine, I found most of my questions answered in this book in a very comprehensive and founded manner. It's the comprehensive manual for any user of a Heart Rate Monitor. It's really worth 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent guide!, 29 Mar. 1999
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
The reviews below must have been written by a "competitor" of Polar. They are a clear attack on the company. Not the book. Ed Burke is a real "hands-on" exercise physiologist. The reviewer is a business person not a book reviewer!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book answers your questions!, 10 Jan. 1999
This review is from: Precision Heart Rate Training (Paperback)
As a traumatologist and interested in sports medicine I can tell you: this is the best book to answer your questions. It is comprehensive and gives a lot of tips that you can apply the training theory to your daily practice.

Precision Heart Rate Training
Precision Heart Rate Training by Edmund R. Burke (Paperback - 1 May 1998)