5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recomended
There may be guitar repair techniques missing from this book but there can't be many. It covers everything from fitting new strings to repairing cracked acoustic guitar bodies, all in very straightforward English in a clear logical layout. It'll give the beginner the confidence to fix simple guitar issues and I'm sure even the experienced will find new tricks. Either way...
Published on 4 Sept. 2009 by Mrs. Valerie Sim

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book But...
The book is interesting and very informative.But I think it will be a little difficult for beginners because it doesn't have as many pictures as I expected.And the pictures that are in the book are too small and worse: they are black and white. What makes it harder to understand what the picture means.In my opinion ,if the pictures were bigger and in color it would be...
Published on 16 Sept. 2010 by GILVAN SOUZA

5.0 out of 5 stars literate and enquiring guitar enthusiast should love this encyclopaedic guide, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
I saw this book ridiculed on 'Dave's World of Fun Stuff' on Youtube - but the guy on there constantly referred to it for tables on how to set up guitars

I have so many different guitars I thought buying it would give me the tables to set them up. It does, but there's about 3 pages total of the book for the tables, and I could no doubt have got them off the internet, now I think about it

HOWEVER - this book is fantastic. Every angle of every detail of everything I could ever think of is in it, and I don't regret buying it for an instant. I saw Erlewine speak on Youtube and I thought the text would be tedious, but it reads well

I'd read this book even if I DIDN'T have a load of guitars and a desire to set them up right. The book even tells you how to pack an amp for transportation - more tips than you can imagine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
Bought this book for help while restoring an old guitar. Well written, layout is fine and easily followed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't be happier. Amazing, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
Couldn't be happier. Amazing, in depth, well laid out and written book containing nearly everything I want to know. I've been able to carry out many more tasks with far more confidence thanks to this book.

The DVD was a bonus (when I bought it, I overlooked the fact it even came with one). The DVD includes some great locking ties for restringing your guitar and plenty more great advice.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For Beginners, 31 Dec. 2010
A D. Pate (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
This book is not for beginners.
Some of the techniques and repairs discussed involve having your own workshop with a few thousands of pounds worth of equipment in. Even the basic repairs are made confusing by a feeble portrayal of ideas and poor wording.
It probably tells you how to fix everything that could possibly go wrong on a guitar, so it is good in that sense. The bit on how to fit new strings (as easy as that is to do) is made confusing.
If you want to make a few modifications to your guitar but you're a virgin in that respect, stay clear.
If you own your own repair shop and want a few new tricks, this is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but a bit dissapointing, 6 Sept. 2013
Mr. L. J. Dwyer "Sound man" (Oxfordshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
Overall I like this product but it wasn't what I expected. I expected a D.I.Y. guide to repair my guitar using tools I have or can purchase.
Most of the equipment used in this book is specialised and only to be found in a professional workshop. This aside it still provides a lot of information on caring and minor repairs to my guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good enough for jazz., 16 April 2013
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
And rock, but a little lacking for classical.
I got this to help me care for the electrics and semi acoustics in my care, though, so it suits me down to the ground. Speaking of which, this is a very down to earth guide, though a tad verbose and under-edited. Covers as many aspects of maintenance and repair as most reasonable people will feel competent to address in a way that encourages responsible maintenance and repair.
The constant exhortation to practice on scrap may see the price of the raddled planks on ebay peak, though, as guitar guru wannabes like me seek out victims. I mean suitable guitars to practice on. If you are thinking about doing anything more technical than tuning your guitar, consider buying this. There are other good guitar books out there, but this has a range of information that should fit most. Unless you want to be a luthier. Even so, this would be worth having, but you would need a number of other books as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars great reference and repair book, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
Brilliant! I still have this on my shelf after 4 years and use it for reference when i need it. Always learn something useful when flicking through. Includes some very in depth interviews on guitar setups with some of the old blues legends. I wish more standard popular interviews were conducted this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A Great Informative Read'., 19 April 2013
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
This book offers really good advice and numerous insights into the whole concept of guitar building, repairing and most importantly for me personally ' How To Set Up A Guitar Correctly'. Although I knew most of the 'basics' beforehand this book gave a great many tips and advice that I had never even considered prior to reading.

Although the tools and equipment used and recommended by Dan Erlewine are most probably beyond the reach (and budget) of 'Mr Average' guitarist (ie Me), the actual methods used are enlightening and very helpful.

From the novice to the experienced guitarist there will be many things in this book that we can learn and apply when performing a set-up or repair.

I found 'The Guitar Player Repair' an excellent read and I know that it will be an invaluable future reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference Book, 18 July 2014
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
An excellent reference book. It will guide you through best practice with regard to set ups and repairs and for those repairs that are beyond your personal DIY skill level, you will have a good idea of what is required of a professional repairman and so can better judge whether you feel trusting your repair to somebody. The text is very well set out with plenty of photographs to illustrate points. For instruments that are in generally good condition, the fine tuning, set up process to get them playing at their best to suit your personal taste and maintain them is quite straight forward and provided that you have some basic tools and patience you can achieve very good results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Master class, 3 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
I bought this together with another guitar repair book. I am using this all the time. This book has become the Guitar Repair Bible to me. Dan Erlewine is a true master. To get this book was a real treat.

Guitar Player: Repair Guide
Guitar Player: Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine (Paperback - 30 Nov. 2007)