5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recomended
Published on 4 Sept. 2009 by Mrs. Valerie Sim

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book But...
Published on 16 Sept. 2010 by GILVAN SOUZA

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recomended, 4 Sept. 2009
Mrs. Valerie Sim "Valerie" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
There may be guitar repair techniques missing from this book but there can't be many. It covers everything from fitting new strings to repairing cracked acoustic guitar bodies, all in very straightforward English in a clear logical layout. It'll give the beginner the confidence to fix simple guitar issues and I'm sure even the experienced will find new tricks. Either way it'll save you much more than it costs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for every guitar owner, 11 April 2011
Andrew (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
I've been playing guitar for about 15 years, but for most of that time I've been pretty ignorant about maintenance. I could do basic things like intonation, but I had no idea what kins of a difference a good setup could do for a guitar.

Most of the guitars I've owned were pretty cheap, so when I'd run them into the ground I just got a new one. But my latest guitar is a Fender Strat - It cost me too much to replace at a whim! It sounded amazing for the first couple of years but seemed to sound a bit duller as time went on. I'd always kept the intonation in check but it was still loosing the sound. I looked up a few tips and tricks to see what I was doing wrong and tried a few things like changing the tremolo springs from the two it was set up with at an angle to three straight ones (I'd read that heavier gauge strings needed more springs).

Big mistake! I put the extra spring in without reading up on balancing the trem and it sounded horrible, wouldn't keep in tune and I had put a noticeable bend in my neck. My guitar sounded horrible and even when I put the springs back to what they were it was still sounding bad and wouldn't stay in tune.

I considered taking it to a guitar shop to get it fixed but I couldn't believe the prices I would have been charged. I did some searching on the net for information and books on guitar setup and repairs and this book and the authors name kept cropping up. So I bought the book and some feeler gauges Draper 10094 18-Blade Metric/Imperial Feeler Gauge Set - you'll need these for the really small measurements when you're adjusting the truss rod) and in one weekend I've completely sorted my guitar out. I've even adjusted the truss rod to straighten the neck (leaving only Fenders recommended amount of relief to eliminate fret buzz)

Apart from the feeler gauges, the only tools you'll need for a good setup are some screwdrivers (standard and precision), a steel rule (mine had mm and inches which you will need), some allen keys (all the ones I needed came with the guitar)and some pliers (makes it easy to get the springs off when you're setting up the trem). I also made a plastic wedge by gluing some of the slanted spacers you use for laying laminate flooring to stop it being flush to the skirting board. This slanted wedge is essential to balancing your trem.

In a few hours over the weekend I completely transformed the sound of my guitar. It's better now than when I first had it. The strings stay in tune, the sustain is longer and I've eliminated all the fret buzz problems I was having.
I read up the relevant sections on the truss rod and tremolo and then followed a 10 step setup guide carefully and bingo! I noticed the guitar was sounding better as soon as I'd finished it and it was a big difference!. I checked and double checked the measurements and it was all good.

The book also caters for other guitar types (including basses and accoustics) but the electric part does seem more geared towards Gibson and Fender (but you could apply the information to any make). The book even has in depth sections on customising guitars, cleaning, restoration and electronics. All of the information is very clear and explained thoroughly without being too technical (but if you want to go further in depth as far as refretting and even building your own pickups).

If like me you're from the UK then be prepared to start reading measurements in inches and parts of an inch (If you download a spec sheet for your guitar you'll find all the measurements for string height etc in fractions of an inch anyway).

I learnt more from reading this book than I've ever picked up from discussions with other guitar players and guitar magazines.

Sorry about the long boring review, but this is my experience from owning this book less than a week!

If you own a guitar get this book! If you have any questions about the book I'll try to answer as many as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it...., 5 Feb. 2009
F.H (Brussels , Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
A very good book even if you have no intention of repairing anything...
Any guitar player should own it , there is plenty to learn, on wiring, necks shapes etc...
A very interesting book indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not the book I wanted... but..., 17 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
I really wanted Brosnac's book on guitar electronics which, as you may already know, is universally unobtainable - so I plumped for what I imagined to be the next best choice - Erlewine. And I am so glad I did. This book is, as one reviewer rightly states, the guitar player's bible - covering every aspect(or at least every aspect I can foresee) of guitar repair and maintenance. Some say the b/w photos and diagrams are not very good but I collected my copy late one evening and was well able to make them out clearly in the half light of a Tesco car park waiting for my shopping buddy.

I have a couple of Les Paul copies - one a '72 Japanese 'Grant' and the other a 'god-knows-what' I picked up for twenty quid on Ebay which I am refitting - the 'g-k-w' having a Flying V neck whose scale is a tad longer than an LP so needs some fancy footwork to get the intonation right. Other projects include re-fretting and re-bridging a 40 year old Epiphone FT147 and building a lap steel from scratch and this book has ALL the technical know-how to do this - and more. Some woodworking, metalworking and electrical experience would certainly not go amiss but this stuff is not rocket science and well within the capabilities of all but the terminally ham-fisted. If I were to sum up the book in one word it would be 'superb'.

So whatever your interest in guitars I feel confident to say without fear of contradiction that you will find this book to be of use and in all probability to be the only book you will ever require.

Incidentally, I downloaded Brosnac's book for free but doubt I will need it now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of good information, 4 Feb. 2009
Bob Newman (Felixstowe, Suffolk UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
This book has a huge amount of information for keeping your guitars in perfect playing order and gives enough detail, for any reasonably handy player to perform almost any repair or maintenace task you may come across. I needed to replace a couple of worn frets on an acoustic guitar and with the help of this book have successfully carried out this task.
Well worth buying just for knowledge even if you don't want to do the work yourself, it will also help you ensure that the repairer you choose is competent to do the work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Book But..., 16 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
The book is interesting and very informative.But I think it will be a little difficult for beginners because it doesn't have as many pictures as I expected.And the pictures that are in the book are too small and worse: they are black and white. What makes it harder to understand what the picture means.In my opinion ,if the pictures were bigger and in color it would be easier to understand the book specially if you are a beginner like me.
If you are a beginner and have a LES PAUL and are looking for information about guitar repairing I reccomend :The Gibson Les Paul Handbook" because it has detailed information about the LES PAUL guitars.I have one and it is very good.
I bought the guitar repair guide expecting to learn a bit more and in a easy way.But the book is a bit complex and it needs a good undestanding.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amateur luthier, 18 Nov. 2010
K. Wigley - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
Very good overall, but lacking in some areas. Cannot get my head around using inches rather than centimetres in parts of the book. Given me a great deal of confidence in maintaining my guitars though. It's not a great read, but a useful reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will save non-tech guitar players a lot of trouble and money., 21 Sept. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
Great reference for guitar players with no repair experience, also well worth reading to understand how your guitar should sound. A great bonus is the interviews with Buddy Guy, etc. A different perspective on these legends.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're only buying one guitar DIY manual, buy this one, 23 Jan. 2011
Yngve Ellingsen (Son, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
This must be the ultimate DIY guitar repair guide. I believe anyone would find what they're looking for in this book. It covers general setup and repair applying to any model, acoustic or electric. Illustrations may be small, and only in black and white, but the important ones are sharp and detailed. I'd be hard pressed to find a problem with my Les Paul (I now have my Gibson Les Paul tuned to perfection by the aid of this book) or Strat copy that isn't covered here. If you're not afraid to give soldering a go, you'll find most schematics needed for electronics repair here. Be warned, though: Some of the procedures described here are not for people with multiple thumbs on each hand. Intelligently enough, the author issues warnings about this. All procedures are marked with the appropriate level of skill needed to succeed. There's also a DVD for the vintage buyer and would-be-repairer. It's not a complete guide in itself, but shows a few of the procedures described in the book, mostly concerning vintage assessment and repair. If you're only buying one guitar repair manual, this one should probably be it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly disappointed, 14 July 2010
This review is from: Guitar Player: Repair Guide (Paperback)
This book is ok. Not quite what I wanted. I wanted a real "how to" guide, especially on topics such as how to change pickups. The book assumes the reader already has a pretty good understanding of all the basics, including electronics and so on. That's not true in my case so I was hoping for a real "get back to basics", which I didn't get.

Guitar Player: Repair Guide
Guitar Player: Repair Guide by Dan Erlewine (Paperback - 30 Nov. 2007)