on 30 July 2007
A little bit of a mixed bag. For the most part this is very good, full of good pictures (& nice quality paper) and interesting information.

The main downside (for me, and I'm guessing I wont be far from the target audience of this book) is the balance between the different `gear'. I found there to be too much time spent on the bands evolving PA system, too much talk of how many speakers, crossovers, power amps etc... Ok for a little while but, for me, it got to be too much. On the flip side I could have done with a little more about the guitars & effects used by the band. Some of this is skimmed over quite quickly, with some of the guitars used not getting any pictures, just a quick mention in the text. Also it would have been nice to see more pictures and more detailed pictures of some of Garcias classic guitars as these are such a major part of the `Grateful Dead' image and sound.

Overall pretty nice, I would say 3½ stars. A good read but it could have been balanced a little differently for my taste. Of course, if you are really interested in the development of live band amplification you will get a lot out of it. Nicely written though and even the technical stuff doesn't bog you down too much.