5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I understand
This book is exactly what I needed, and indeed much better than I hoped.

I am interested in how a valve amp works - I have built my own from a kit, but I didnt really understand it, I just followed the instructions.

Now I know what the different components do and this book has given me suggestions for possible mods to tweak the sound

The...
Published on 30 Jun 2008 by Mr. Gareth D. Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this for?
Published on 4 Mar 2012 by Confounder

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally I understand, 30 Jun 2008
Mr. Gareth D. Williams "the_biggest_g" (Surrounded by clowns) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Guitar AMP Handbook: Understanding Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds (Paperback)
This book is exactly what I needed, and indeed much better than I hoped.

The book is extremely well-written, it is not too simplistic, nor too technical, you dont need to know electronics, but you will learn why different amps are designed the way they are.

Its a pleasure to read a book that is neither too dumbed down or aimed solely at people with electronics expertise. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A well thought out introduction to tube amps, 20 April 2009
Peter Clifton "Guitar/amp junkie" (W Sussex UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best of Dave Hunters books, in my opinion,and not merely because of the absence of the spelling and typo errors in some of his other books.
He goes through the amp in easy to follow detail from pre-amp to speakers. The book covers some good examples of production and classic amps and has some interesting interviews with boutique amp builders. I built my 5E3 deluxe clone from his articles in Guitar & Bass mag,(he used to edit it,) and it was a very positive and enjoyable experience. I have not built the amp described in this book, though I may well do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is this for?, 4 Mar 2012
I find myself in agreement with the earliest review on this book. It is a rather irritating mixture. Most of the discussion pertaining to electronics requires (despite reassurances to the contrary) a significant pre-existing knowledge. It lacks both sufficient exposition for the ignorant and (I imagine) sufficient depth for the informed. Much of the rest is fluff that goes nowhere. The only part of the book I found reasonably diverting was the extended interviews with established 'boutique' amplifier builders at the end. Borrow it from the library, if you must.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the better books around on this subject, 2 April 2008
This is certainly not a primer for the budding amp technician - there isn't enough technical content. However, for the player who is interested in developing their knowledge of valve amplifiers, in terms of getting more out of them, it's a good book. It's comprehensive, well-written and well-presented, in my view. I'm no expert but I have looked at a number of the books out there on this subject and this one compares favourably.

5.0 out of 5 stars satisfied customer, 24 Mar 2009
B. Lansbergen "reader" (weert - holland) - See all my reviews
I have other books on the argument guitar tube amps, either too difficult or too simple. this one suits my needs.
delivery was very fast and the price, including transport, was less than I had to pay in the Netherlands. what else does one wants

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'Must Have' book for guitarists, 19 July 2010
Mr. C. R. Wynn "knob twiddler" (Stonehenge) - See all my reviews
If you own or have an interest in valve guitar amps this book will be like someone turning on the light and opening the curtains. It explains why differing amps sound the way they do in an easy to read format and covers how to modify your amp to get the tone in your head - if you can use a soldering iron SAFELY. Great if you build your own amps, want to experiment or just excellent bed time reading. One for your Christmas or Birthday list!
Chris

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful!, 14 Sep 2007
Alisdair Fleming "Al F" (Glasgow Scotland UK) - See all my reviews
What an excellent title!! You're looking for a book to explain all about valve amps and how you can improve your understanding of how they work and how you can "tweak" your amp to get the elusive sound you want? If that's what you want, forget this book!
It is neither a technical book for "tech heads" - it's far too simplistic - nor is it a helpful manual for musos who just want to be helped to understand the basic concept of how their amp works. It is a classic case of falling between 2 stools.
I do respect the time that the author has spent on the writing of this book but I have to ask myself - why did he bother. I have been playing live for nearly 30 years through innumerable different amps and I was looking for a book, couched in laymans terms, that would help me understand their workings. Asolutely no joy here. Sorry. Al F

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting survey of classic amps, 6 Jan 2014
C. A. Moyse "L:Cubed" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
The book sets out to do two things that are very difficult - to cover a broad range of topics around valve amps; and to be technical without being too technical. It makes a pretty good job on the first, although I think the build-your-own section simply cannot be done justice in the space devoted to it. On the second it struggles. Dave Hunter is obviously very knowledgeable and has hands-on experience of many amps (great and not so) but even he cannot explain sophisticated and subtle electronic phenomena when technical analysis is disallowed. If you already have sufficient technical knowledge you can largely read-between-the-lines. If not, you miss out. By far the most interesting part of the book (and entirely justifying the cost of admission) is the section analysing, comparing and contrasting the circuits and construction of classic amps. It is supported by excellent photos of their interior workings, which you can pore over endlessly.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10, 2 Aug 2013
D. T. Taylor - See all my reviews
If you use an amp and want to gain knowledge of how it works!.....its worth getting and keeping for future reference?...

5.0 out of 5 stars and I expect this book to be just as good., 31 July 2014
I have not had time to read the whole book yet, i'm still working my way through it, but I have read Dave Hunter's book on effects pedals, and I expect this book to be just as good.

The Guitar AMP Handbook: Understanding Amplifiers and Getting Great Sounds
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available