5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read
Published on 26 Nov 2007 by B. Hills

3.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Effects Pedals: The Practical Handbook
not a bad book, cool few tricks, but as good as "The tone Manual" from the same author, nice to learn about the beginning of pedal effect and interviews.
Published 19 months ago by teza

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 26 Nov 2007
B. Hills (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Effects Pedals: The Practical Handbook (Paperback)
The author keeps a nice balance between informative and readability, he keeps the subject interesting and adds lots of info in. I particularly enjoyed the sections explaining how the different effects evolved and work. I also enjoyed the last section were Hunter interviews people like Micheal Fuller and Pete Cornish. I think if you are a real pedal fan you may already know a lot of this stuff though.

There is a section on setting up your rig which is quite helpful, however I would have liked to see this section expanded to show famous guitarists rigs and explain their setups, whilst I don't think it's a good idea to try and copy your heros I do think understanding the routes they take is useful. All in all a good book which can be dipped in and out of as and when you need to learn about a new pedal type or company.

4.0 out of 5 stars Based on the theory that if a book contains one bit of useful knowledge?...then it's a bargain!!!..., 2 Aug 2013
D. T. Taylor - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guitar Effects Pedals: The Practical Handbook (Paperback)
It has a wealth of knowledge about most pedals and their makers and history including some upper market like 'Fulltone' etc...and If you own a Tube screamer or a 'green' pedal copy?...Like I do!.....it's worth reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars sound affects, 21 Sep 2004
I always thought Eddie Van Halen got his killer sound by putting
stripes on his guitar. Now I find he used a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. It's a bit upsetting as I sold the one I had to my brother for £15. Now he knows and the tight little bugger wants £100 for it.
Unfortunately for him he's only read chapter 1 of this great book and I've read it all. Once he's got as far as me he'll know enough to buy a pedal that'll blow Dave Lee Roth's flares off.

Dave Hunter's enough of a valve head to to satisfy anyone with a
soldering iron and an oscilloscope while putting it all in enough entertaining musical context to keep a lightweight like me - who doesn't even like changing his strings - happy.
Whether you want to crank your valves or flange youreslef into oblivion there'll be something here for you. The best guitar gear book I've ever read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Guitar Effects Pedals: The Practical Handbook, 7 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars effects book, 29 Sep 2010
This review is from: Guitar Effects Pedals: The Practical Handbook (Paperback)
Great book, contains everything I needed to know at the time I was building my Pedalboard. Interviews are great. And a friend has the other books in this series which seem just as comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound affects, 21 Sep 2004
I always thought Eddie Van Halen got his killer sound by putting

Dave Hunter's enough of a valve head to to satisfy anyone with a
Covering all types of effects from simply cranking your amp to flanging yourself into oblivion this is the best book on guitar gear I've ever come across.

Guitar Effects Pedals: The Practical Handbook
Guitar Effects Pedals: The Practical Handbook by Dave Hunter (Paperback - 27 Aug 2004)
Used & New from: £10.67