5.0 out of 5 stars Best of all piano instruction books I have bought so far
I prefer this book to any of the other piano instruction books I have bought so far.

PRESENTATION - the presentation is lovely - glossy paper, hardback cover and a spiral binding so it sits easily on the music rest. Very considered and attractive design.

Published on 15 Nov. 2008 by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners!
Beautiful presented book and first chapters starts of really easy to understand. Chapter 2 onwards very difficult to understand if you have never played the piano before. I'm sure this book would be fantastic for those that have more of understanding of the piano. Unfortunately I need something a little easier to understand.
Published 16 months ago by Maria Thurston

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of all piano instruction books I have bought so far, 15 Nov. 2008
This review is from: The Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano (Spiral-bound)

CONTENT - It is refreshing to start with something other than Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star...it starts with grown up music - and some very elegant tunes at that! The content does move at pace, but provided you work on each exercise until you have mastered it, it should be achievable. N.B. This is not a book teaching you how to read music, it's a book teaching you how to play the piano. The division of the book into Units makes it feel like a proper course and I have set myself a target of two weeks per Unit, hopefully tying in with fortnightly piano lessons with a tutor I have just started with, so by the end of 36 weeks (or, that is, the full 18 Units) I should have completed the book. I have to add here that there is a CD with the book that plays 69 pieces of music from the book and having listened to the CD right through while still only just at the beginning the book, if I can eventually play all that impressive stuff towards the end of the disc, I will be extremely happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide For Inspiring Pianists, 15 Feb. 2009
I've bought all kinds of products off Amazon over the years but have never felt the need to write reviews about any of them...until this one! This book is (in my opinion) an absolute must for pianists who want to improve their sight-reading/theory/technique/performance, whatever it is you want. I must first point out though (in accordance with the reviewer before me) that this wouldn't be necessary for advanced piano players who are very confident with their playing...

The book itself is spiral-bound so you'll never have the painful creasing down of pages that ruins so many books. It also comes with an introduction on the history of the piano...very informative and full of pictures. In the back is a reference section which includes a glossary of musical terms, repertoire guide, recommended reading & listening and info on buying/maintaining a piano.

The whole book is split into chapters/units which deal with different aspects of playing and progresses through at a nice pace. My advice is to not try and rush the chapters but wait till you've taken in all the info and are comfortable with the pieces. It is also scattered with tons of info boxes which contain biographies of well-known composers/pianists (along side their pieces for you to play), as well as important aspects of the chapter. A small selection of the topics covered include: scales, chords, arpeggios, pedalling, composing, harmony, rubato, left-hand leaps...the list goes on. It's not just classical music either, eventually you start doing jazz/bebop/rock/blues/fusion/urban/ragtime etc along with their respective scales, theory and techniques.

The main difference between this book to others I've bought is the way it keeps you interested. It doesn't tell you everything on a given subject at once but will do it in stages, e.g. scales aren't all put together in a long list, but are separated throughout the book progressively getting harder as your playing/technique improves.

Anyway enough ranting from me, go by this book! Once you complete all 18 units you'll be well on the way to getting where you want to be as a pianist. Thanks for reading & good luck fellow musicians, never give up!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, 17 Aug. 2010
Most people that have reviewed this book say that this is the best book for adults for learning the piano. I agree with them. However, I also agree with the people that say that the book moves a little too fast and is not suitable for the absolute beginner.

I have started learning piano by myself before about 6 months, using books like the Beyer op.101 and the Classic Piano Course by C. Barratt. Both of these provide the important first stps that are needed in order to fully enjoy the Piano Handbook.

The material the book covers is impressive. It includes actual pieces by classical composers having a difficulty of 5 (Mozarty K.545, 1st mvmt) and even 6 (can't remember the piece now) in the ABRSM graded pieces sorted by difficulty.

I haven't make it this far yet (probably will take years), however from a quick look, the book seems to move to pieces of increasing difficulty and introducing new things with each new piece. I have yet to see a very big jump that will be impossible of the average player to cover. If a person manages to finish the book from cover to cover then I don't believe that he will use any other teaching book, only sheet music, drills and maybe something on style.

Finally, the book is very beautiful, with glossy paper, hard cover and comb back ! Definitely a must buy !

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive instruction manual, 17 Jan. 2011
JudgeNic (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
We recently bought a digital piano and wanted to re-learn piano after a break of 30 years! We have a basic understanding of music theory which I have to say helps in understanding some of the concepts although they are well explained.

Each unit, although only a few pages long, take several weeks to complete and longer to master correctly. There are basic warm up exercises included and you are quickly playing recognisable and enjoyable pieces (I particularly enjoy Greensleeves which comes at the start of Unit 2).

As with all such books progress very much depends on the amount of time you give it but first impressions are that it will be enough to take us back to a good level of playing.

The book itself is of a very high quality and being spiral bound sits very well on the piano music stand. The background information also makes the book interesting to read when not actually sat at the piano.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thorough and mature self study book, 7 Nov. 2013
Sandford "Sandy" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is not for the faint hearted, or for someone just starting the piano I feel, (even though it professes to be a complete guide). I got to Grade 5 many years ago, and wanted something that would stretch me, but build up on what is still there from the past. True, it does start from the very essentials, and with someone with time on their hands and with dedication will gain much benefit from this. The music theory moves at an incredibly fast pace. For anyone at the very beginning, with no knowledge at all, then I wouldn't recommend this. I also am perplexed why there is the inclusion of Part 1, which is the "Story of the Piano". This is extraneous, placing added unnecessary bulk to the book. Such information is of course interesting, but can be easily found in other publications.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 23 Aug. 2010
I would affirm comments in earlier reviews. The book is particularly good for adults, like myself, who have a little bit of piano experience gained in childhood and want to pick it up again.

The book is very attractively produced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Humphries Piano Handbook, 18 Nov. 2012
Among all piano books for learners this seems to be the most comprehensive and accessible one. I was looking for a booklet for my daughter who gets piano classes at the age of 10. Although there are many piano booklets for beginners out there, in general they ad just one piece after the other, splitting the a whole course over 3,4,5 or more booklets. Humphries book can not only be used as a piano course but also gives you background information about the development of piano music, the composers, the techniques and the basic music theory. It comes with a CD with all the music pieces in the book. I also like the pieces in the book itself, they sound good to my ear and I make me want to play them, unlike pieces in some other booklets. The book comes in a sound ring binding, which you can easily place on a piano sheet music stand. With all the pieces on the CD you can use it for autodidactical lerarning. I think the book has profited from the fact that the author is not just a musician but lectures in philosophy as well. Maybe the didactical simplicity of Wittgensteins approach to philosophy has somehow transgressed into the realm of music. If so I would welcome this as a very much positive development. Overall I would recommend this book, and not just because of the comparable low pirce, to everyone trying to learn piano from the start.

4.0 out of 5 stars like, 1 Jan. 2011
it's a really nice book and it's format is really good. I have been through 6 chapters now and im going back to earlier chapters all the time to make repetitions of earlier tunes.I started playing piano 2 months ago and i dont think that Humpries book can stand alone. I also use Kenneth Baker's The Real piano player 1-2-3. Start with those 3 if you are new to the piano. The Piano handbook is very focused on classic music and i miss some more Jazz but that of course is a matter of taste and i would like some diagrams with chords. Anyway The Piano handbook is a very nice book and the cd that comes with it is also very good so you can hear how the pieces of music should sound.
I hope this can be helpfull to some of you guys....

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Sept. 2010
A first class book. Covers most of what you'll need to get up to a good standard of playing. Includes a history of the instrument, a wide range of musical styles plus a CD which demos many of the exercises and helps to keep you on track. There's also a section on recommended further listening and music books. All presented in a smart spiral bound format for ease of use.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners!, 19 Feb. 2014

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano
The Piano Handbook: A Complete Guide for Mastering Piano by Carl Humphries (Spiral-bound - 21 Nov. 2002)