5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing

3.0 out of 5 stars Diagnosing the problem in the wrong area
Published 8 months ago by Vanessa

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Amazing, 14 Aug 2005
This review is from: Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder (Paperback)
Having read this book I finally left behind the feeling of being alone in my thoughts and fears. I had been Diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder 6 months befroe reading this book and it gave me a great insight into myself and comfort. I highly recomend anyone who has borderline Personality Disorder or who is trying to support someone with BPD to read this book. It is an easy and intersting read which isn't full of medical jargon and will without a doubt bring the reader a little clarity if not more

5.0 out of 5 stars My Most Recommended Book for Consumers, 16 Mar 2002
I am the webowner of "Borderline Personality Disorder Sanctuary". I myself have been diagnosed with the borderline personality disorder (BPD) and as a result have lived most of my life crisis-oriented; experiencing a great deal of emotional pain.
I tried everything imaginable to get better and yet nothing worked. My family sat down with me for long periods of time trying to get through to me. I went to many different counselors looking for some way out of this nightmare that I lived.
As I listened to everyone it was like they were on a different planet speaking a different language. No one could understand me.
Finally I got a copy of Dr. Moskovitz's book "Lost in the Mirror." I sat down and cried shortly into the first chapter. It was the very first time that someone understood me and not only that, it was as if the author had his arm around me through the entire book.
Lost in the Mirror is so beautifully and gently written and it was also the first time that I realized that I was not miserable because I was a bad person which is what I had always thought.
The magic of "Lost in the Mirror" is the mixture of the tremendous clinical experience and knowledge the author has (he is up to date with the research), with his very gentle, warm and caring personality.
People come to me all the time asking what book I recommend for consumers and "Lost in the Mirror" is it. In fact, it is also an excellent book to assist families in understanding the borderline their lives. I have heard from many family members how helpful this book has been for them.
Dr. Moskovitz brings you right up to date with his second edition in regards to treatment. He discusses the latest about psychotropic medication, EMDR and DBT.
As the webmaster of BPD Sanctuary since 1996, a person who has studied the research myself, someone who has spoken to many BPD specialists, to many borderlines and families in cyberspace, and a consumer myself, this is my most recommended book for consumers.
It is important to know that the BPD is treatable and that you can get better. I no longer meet the criteria for the BPD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amust for all affected by BPD, the individual, family and he, 25 Aug 2002
vicky farthing (MILTON KEYNES, BUCKS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Having been recently diagnosed as having Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), a few years back now. I was desperate to find out what that meant about me as a person and what was instore.
This book is a great start to finding more indepth information.
It's not an overwhelming book with Doctors or Pychiatrists talk, it's written with the reader in mind.
I have passed this book on to friends to read so they can better understand me to.
A very good investment, it made a world of difference for me, I found myself saying 'yeah i thought that too' or' I know that feeling'
This book could be more valuable in the early stages of recognition than therapy.
A small price to pay for pricless information.

5.0 out of 5 stars How many angels has this book rescued?, 5 Sep 2009
This is one of those easy flow books that is accessible for many viewpoints including professionals and especially those lost within the symptoms of BPD but who do not know how to describe what they are experiencing and are very much alone. It also goes on to describe the usual steps in treatment such as group therapy, drug therapy and hospitalisation with some mention of new innovative therapies: EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing) and DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy).

An unexpected encounter is the threaded narrative of a condensed case history that completes each brief chapter. This has the effect of easing the absorption of much of the material that is presented. At times, the human message left me somewhat sad at the tortuous life that the fictitious Sara portrayed, which was no doubt a true amalgamation of a typical case history, but Dr Moskovitz treats her symptoms with understanding and extreme care and thankfully finds a successful closure.

It is a real insight into the profound sensitivity, lucidity and above all utter integrity of the psychotherapeutic relationship. As well as gaining a footing into the mirror world of lost identity, black and white thinking, reactive impulses derived through child hood hurt, the enormity of the task ahead for the mental health profession becomes also clear. It is argued that 25 per cent of psychiatric hospitalisations in the States are BPD derived - which is staggering.

As this is the second edition, now almost 8 years old, there may possibly be more up to date introductions into the subject. But I think if you want one written with more warmth, kindness and compassion, it might be hard to match Dr Moskovitz's version and clarity, which no doubt explains its popularity still today.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is a Gift to the World, 8 April 2003
Susan Rose Blauner (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
I discovered LOST IN THE MIRROR three weeks ago. For the first time in my life I am reading someone else's words about borderline and exclaiming, 'Yes, that is what I've had to deal with all these years!' Had I known about this book in 1998, I might not have overdosed for the third time. After seventeen years of therapy I now live a healthy life. Still, LOST IN THE MIRROR has things to teach me. Through it, I'm developing a deeper understanding of how and why I respond and react to intimate relationships with all-or-nothing thinking. I am learning about dissociation. To anyone living with borderline personality disorder, and their families and friends, please know that there is a way out. LOST IN THE MIRROR can help you find it. For anyone considering suicide, please know that help is available. I've taken my story and created HOW I STAYED ALIVE WHEN MY BRAIN WAS TRYING TO KILL ME: ONE PERSON'S GUIDE TO SUICIDE PREVENTION (also available at amazon.co.uk).

4.0 out of 5 stars Lost in the mirror, 22 July 2003
By Dr. Richard Moskowitz (2nd edition) is helpful for people who want to understand more about borderline personality disorder, (BPD) and its co-morbidity with other mental illnesses, especially clinical depression.
The book is on the whole factual, but not to the point where it involves mind-confusing medical jargon, making it suitable for both professionals & ordinary day-to-day people. Besides being factual, it includes case stories from the doctor himself, following a woman through her bout with depression and BPD. We as readers follow the patients’ fight with her mental illness, as well as her survival on the road to recovery. What is particularly helpful is that Moskowitz uses the case histories to help the reader understand the causes, treatments, symptoms and behaviours behind BPd.
A very compelling and interesting look at what it feels and looks like to be lost inside of the mirror.

3.0 out of 5 stars Diagnosing the problem in the wrong area, 26 July 2013
Borderline Personality is a psychiatric myth created and perpetuated by a profession that is still very limited in its understanding of the effects of narcissistic families and societies in general. "Borderline Personality" cannot be understood or addressed outside of the framework of the narcissistic family. Studies show a strong link between narcissistic parenting and the development of Borderline Personality in Children. In fact, borderline personality disordered children tend to be the "scapegoats" of dysfunctional families where as the "heros" tend to develop Narcissistic Personality disorder. A more appropriate title for the condition of symptoms would be "Post-Narcissistic syndrome" or "scapegoat syndrome". One of the legacies of gas-lighting (where narcissistic parents completely deny your reality) is in fact where the distorted reality, black and white thinking, difficulty trusting and rage of Borderlines I suspect originates.

Books such as The Narcissistic Family by Stephanie Donaldson, The Wizard of Oz and Other Narcissists by Eleanor Payson and Toxic Parents by Susan Forward are good starting points. Any books addressing the Borderline Personality patient exclusively will not be effective or far reaching.My personal journey began with distancing myself from my toxic family and creating the space, time and energy for spirituality, self discovery and anything life affirming. Identity development is key. Even simple things like testing your DNA to see what things it might reveal. The point is to give yourself a solid base to work from so the world doesn't feel like it is shifting under your feet in every moment. Most of the personal work I've done to help myself evolves around boundary work (Harriet Lerner's The Dance of Intimacy), impulse control through brain exercises- simple techniques to "take you out of your brain" such as teaching yourself to write with your other hand every day for the period of an hour (Mindfulness for Borderline Personality by Blaise Aguirre contains similar ideas).And general books on co-dependency.

The most useful thing about this book or any book on Borderline are the practical FACTS. For example, it described how during our formative baby years we experience life from moment to moment and a consistent picture of reality emerges only when we have consistent care-taker. When this doesn't happen we carry this view into adulthood. Facts like these are useful. This book also enables you to identify what in your behavior is attributable to having a Borderline Personality i.e sifting through some of the mess, giving a label to confusing situations. However at the end of the day, we're all different people, only joined by a list of common, defining traits. It becomes a matter of identifying which traits are the most problematic for you and "specializing" in them. For example, black and white thinking and difficulties with getting close to people might be more of a problem for one person than fear of abandonment and addiction. So the "label" of borderline isn't really effective.

This book isn't helpful for those with less extreme forms of borderline personality aka high-functioning borderlines. It focused mainly on the effects of physical abuse without enough focus on the damaging effect of emotional neglect.

Furthermore, whilst the whimsical titles and imagery are sympathetic, I found them to be remote and misleading. The chapter "Crimes Without Punishment/Punishment Without Crimes" could have talked about the conflicting sense of entitlement and self deprecation that Borderline's have from being criticized and blamed when they did nothing wrong/not being disciplined when they did, whilst simultaneously being given false praise for no reason e.g just because it suits the parents. Also the chapter "In the Looking Glass" could have talked about the role of Body Dysmorphia (feeling ugly) and unhealthy body image in Borderline patients. I'm as yet to find a person with BPD who hasn't struggled with feelings of "ugliness". This is a huge aspect of BPD and is right up there with addictions and impulsive behaviour. The name of the book Lost In The Mirror is in fact what attracted me. Although the chapter does briefly touch on problems with identity and the origins of these. Also a chapter like "A House Divided" could have discussed confused identity from being raised in a household with extremes or where there is separation. For example, a religiously devout mother married to a sexually lewd father. But it didn't.

Additionally like many books on Borderline Personality tend to focus on our WEAKNESSES like irrational behavior and mood swings. This isn't a useful paradigm no matter how well-intending the author is. We've already had that done to us all our lives and this is in fact why we are Borderline. Additionally, it does not place enough emphasis on the effect that not seeing healthy models of intimacy plays in one's ability to forge intimate relationships. I think this is an obvious point and isn't limited to Borderline sufferers.It becomes a problem for us only because of our sensitive natures. Which leads me to my next point...

Any good book on Borderline Personality which hopes to treat sufferers needs to focus on our strengths and how we can use them to heal ourselves. Namely, our higher intelligence, creativity, intuition and empathetic natures. Guilt over the stigma of our "manipulative behavior" doesn't help and in fact promotes hopelessness. Our manipulative behavior is in fact learned in our dysfunctional families. A good book on Borderline needs to talk more at length about what is appropriate. What are appropriate boundaries? What is intimacy? What is normal? How to achieve this? Because this is what we suffer from- a lack of healthy role models for identity, intimacy, communication and appropriate boundaries in our narcissistic families. Please see link below for article on narcissistic families.

In conclusion, Clinicians treating Borderline Patients tend to be limited in their perceptions, tending to "look down" on patients and cannot see for example the ways in which clinical drugging, as advocated in this book worsens the symptoms of BPD. A high-functioning borderline, I never once in my life took a knife or razor to myself until I was put on Prozac. And like one patient described in this book, I gained weight afterwards and this was a big part of my body image concerns, not just a small footnote. Therefore, the best books on Borderline Personality I find are ones which are autobiographical. Bios such as Elizabeth Wurtzel's Prozac Nation and Karrine Steffans Confessions of a Video Vixen although not officially diagnosed or explicitly stated are good real-life examples which can corroborate your experience and therefore be more empathetic and therapeutic than books written from a cold distance by clinicians.

[...]
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Clarity at last!, 25 Nov 2006
E. Reece "emkate" (Tyne and Wear UK) - See all my reviews
This book has provided me with a clarity that I never thought possible for such a complex disorder as BPD. Written sensitively, thoroughly and with the genuine care of a therapist who has clearly seen and experienced the full extent of what people with this condition truly face. A genuine read that will I'm sure inform, reassure and guide you - well I hope it will for you - it certainly did for me...

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of Lost in The Mirror : An inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder 2nd Edition, 6 May 2013
I did not read the firt edition, and this is Dr. Moskovitz's second edition, which has written to incorporate the new findings in biological psychiatry, psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy that has occured in the field of BPD. What attracted me to the book was its title "Lost in the Mirror". IIdentity disturbance is a facet of BPD that is rarely understood by people who dont have BPD, but critically sometimes also by people who do. Dr. Moskovitz includes many vignettes particularly from one patient, and it is her journey out of BPD that he traces in this book, and all the challenges that the practicing psychiatrist and the patient will experience on that journey. There are some nuggets of wisdom in this book, particularly in helping to understand the sometimes strange and mysterious or erratic personality traits which people with BPD display which is why I have rated it 3/5. I think the power of the book will be two-fold. Firstly,as hinted to in the title, in explaining to family members or partners of someone with BPD, what it is like to see it from the BPD sifferers perspective, which no doubt is one of Dr.Moskovitz's strengths,it will help often desperate families and partners to make sense of this condition and secondly, for the public who do not know anything about BPD, where people with mental illness and in particular BPD are stigmatised, it will provide a significant counterbalance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book on the subject so far, 5 Sep 2012
After being diagnosed with BPD I devoured a number of books on the subject (averaging one a day!). This book spoke to me really deeply. It identified feelings I had that other books completely missed and explained them in a very easy to understand way. Because of this is was a very emotional read but it was ultimately hopeful about learning to live a fuller and more satisfying life. Highly recommend for any sufferer wanting to understand more. Good luck on your journey.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa3c4ab40)

Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder
Lost in the Mirror: An Inside Look at Borderline Personality Disorder by Richard A. Moskovitz (Paperback - 1 Mar 2001)
7.64