on 23 July 1999
If you ever heard Harry Caray broadcast a game, you couldn't forget him. Many had the chance, from 1945 through 1997 to hear his work. I grew up in the Midwest of the 50's and 60's, fascinated by sports on the radio. I spent hours going across the dial at night, listening to Bob Elson do the White Sox, Ernie Harwell the Tigers, Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau the Cubs, and even stopping by to catch Halsey Hall on the Twins and the Dallas-Fort Worth Spurs on WBAP out of Texas. The place I stopped consistently was 1120 on the AM dial, KMOX. That's where I was captivated by the obvious enthusiasm and descriptive abilities of Harry Caray calling the Cardinals' games with Jack Buck. His call of the Cardinals' run at the Dodgers in the 1963 stretch run -- and their miracle comeback of 1964 are still vivid in my mind. Indeed, Harry's broadcasts inspired me to pursue my own career in sportscasting, which has taken me through 27 years and I hope many more. In his later years with the Cubs, Harry wasn't as sharp as he had been, but he still had the enthusiasm. Whenever I had the chance to tune him in, I did, especially to catch his seventh inning stretch singing of "Take Me out to the Ballgame." That brought back so many great memories, and oftimes tears as well. Steve Stone was Harry's partner, friend, and sometimes confidante over Harry's last 15 years. He does a marvelous job detailing Harry's personality, his zealous approach to his job, and his dealing with his stroke in 1987. Harry was special. The way Steve Stone reveals their behind-the-scenes dealings is special as well. It was a most enjoyable read.
Pete Weber Nashville Predators Play-by-Play
on 7 April 1999
You do not have to be a Cubs fan to thoroughly enjoy this book about Harry Caray. His antics and love of baseball make this a terrific read! Some of the tales are hilarious and some will make you shake your head in disbelief. But it's all Harry. Steve Stone and Barry Rozner captured his true character with affection and humor. You're gonna want this in your home library!
on 20 April 1999
GREAT READING FOR CUB FANS,ALONG WITH BASEBALL FANS OF ALL AGES.HONEST HEARTFELT TELLING OF THE STORY,HARRY AND ME BY STEVE STONE.FULL OF AMUSING TALES OF LORE,SPUN IN A GENEROUS MANNER WHICH MAKES FOR FUN READING.I COULD NOT PUT THE BOOK DOWN,FROM START TO FINISH............
on 28 April 1999
I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. If you're looking for a biography of Harry Carey, this isn't it. A cornicopia of wonderfully funny antedotes about Harry Carey. Stonie and Barry Rosner did a great job. This is must for any Cub fan and any fan of Harry Carey.
on 28 August 1999
I absolutely loved this book! I couldn't put it down. Not only did it bring back some wonderful memories, but I found myself laughing out loud almost constantly. Steve Stone did a wonderful job. Thank you Steve for sharing your stories with us!
on 14 April 1999
A humorous book about the life of Harry Caray the broadcaster. Humorous stories of how fellow announcer Steve Stone remembers the good times. A great book for everyone.
on 11 May 1999
I enjoyed this book very much and wished it lasted more than two plane rides.