1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars My great pleasure is seeing t romantic side of W.E.B. Dubois, 20 May 1998
By A Customer
I loved it. I love Dubois' fatherly spirit, his international wisdom, and the strength he has in showing this side of himself, inspite of threats that this kind of writing could end his writing career . I have read many of DuBois books, however, this is the very first time that I have even heard (1997) about a romance book. And told that it's the only one. Still, from Dubois-WOW!! And to hear him say that he really likes this kind of writing, that it's his favorite book, but others discouraged him, both Black and White. I feel very special and priviledged (though its public) to know this romantic side of Dubios, compared to his other more well-known writings. I'm glad this side of him didn't get lost.
His words of encouragement still speaks volumes to me today. Its been awhile since I read the book, and I know this posting is old. Anyway, I happen to have a book here with me that has a quote from Dubios that I believe is from Dark Princess. "I have known the women of many lands and nations, I have known, seen, and lived beside them, but none have I known more sweetly feminine, more unansweringly loyal, more desperately earnest, and more instinctively pure in body and soul than the daughters of my African-American mothers. This then-a little thing-to their memory and inspiration."
How insightful and sensitive to write such encouraging words for all the world to read. Still, I'd like to know more on what Dubois did to combat sexism in his time. I've read only small pieces of Dubios' feelings on how African American females were being slighted, I think. Did he ever speak directly to the sexism within the African-American community?

Dark Princess (Banner Books)
Dark Princess (Banner Books) by W. E. B. Du Bois (Paperback - 1 April 1995)
Used & New from: £8.00