on 8 November 2012
I decided to get a little help with my poetry writing and bought this book. I prefer to find my own words however in difficult situations this has come in handy and now I have come to rely on it when I am stuck. Any poet obtaining a book like this needs to be aware that once you start to use it you will continue to do so and may need to use restraint in not letting it dominate as a writing tool, but I am overall happy that I made the purchase.
on 16 December 2011
If you could only buy 1 dictionary then this is probably the best buy. A U.S./Canada standard for students in high school and university. I wore the covers off this book during my school years and even though I now have the complete compact Oxford English Dictionary, 9 times out of 10 I will use the Webster's first. Easy to use and read. Excellent value and comes with a handy, loadable version for your PC. It's also worth noting that the Webster's web site allows a quick word look-up that provides the same definition as found in the actual dictionary for those occasions when it's not nearby.
on 10 October 2011
My attention was drawn to the 'Webster's Collegiate Dictionary' by a film I saw recently staring Jennifer Aniston. Her character in the film showed a similar interest for unusual words to my own and her reference was in fact an older edition of this. Funnily enough, this edition does not include one of the words featured in the film (that she took from her edition) but it has a lot of others to make up for it!!!! I am pleased to have it in my collection of dictionaries for it's extensive range of English or American-English words.
on 11 December 2014
This dictionary is first class. It makes clear distinctions such as "boffin -- origin unknown --- chiefly Brit" --- "A large uncleared or sparsely settled area (as in Australia)" and "isolated rural country esp. of Australia". Because it is published in the USA it is not surprising to find occasional entries such as "BSA Boy Scouts of America" -- Birmingham in England having apparently escaped the editor's notice which in otther respects is unexceptionable.

Since I came across an earlier edition of this book many years ago, I have used the Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary for my own research in preference to encyclopedias and to complement on-line searching.
on 4 January 2008
It contains any word you will ever dream to look up; it has finely made definitions; everyone uses it in the US, as far as I now; however, it is not for learners. there are not enough examples and sometimes it is hard to understand the definitions.
11 comment7 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 June 2010
I like this dictionary, because it is complete. The CD-ROM is complete too. Although this dictionary have hardcover, it is not heavy.
on 5 October 2010
First of all this is an English-American dictionary. If you are looking for UK-English dictionary you should consider other alternatives. This dictionary is extremely well done. It includes loads of example an references. For almost each word there is one or more sentences to explain the use of the word. Similar words to the one searched are also listed. It's great for college students who need to write reports and thesis. Although nowadays you can use many on line dictionaries the paper version of this one is much handier because of the number and the quality of examples.
I'd really suggest you this dictionary if you are writing technical documents.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2012
Excellent dictionary, no detail explanations necessary, I believe.

Only one comment:
The license agreement of the CD is NOT customer-oriented (to avoid the word "avaricious").

I would like to install this helpful dictionary on both, my desktop AND on my laptop, but unfortunately, this is not possible since the license allows only one installation (even if I use only one at a time).

Thus, if Webster-people should read this here: please change the license from one to two devices. Why? e.g. to get the 5th star ... ;-)
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 March 2013
..so I eventually gave her her own copy. Much more practical than any other dictionary. Indispensable to all English speaking people..
on 14 November 2003
They don't say this on the cover but the search facilities on the accompanying CD are comprehensive. You can search not only for rhyming words and homophones, but also synonyms, etymology, anagrams and crossword answers (e.g. a???ee). Oh, and it also gives definitions ;-) (which are searchable).