4.0 out of 5 stars A great dictionary, but.....
Published on 18 Oct. 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars Such ridiculously small print!!!!
Pluses: Extremely comprehensive in coverage, but:

Minuses: 1.Except for the brief Addenda (fixed to the early pages) this Dictionary is Totally out-of-date -it may be a new edition/print but it belongs to 1961

2. As I said above - far too tiny print almost unusable except in bright daylight.

3. Bear in mind this is equally a sort of...
Published on 4 Nov. 2011 by observer

4.0 out of 5 stars A great dictionary, but....., 18 Oct. 1998
This review is from: Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Hardcover)
Webster's Third is certainly one of the great dictionaries of the world and the standard reference of American English. But it is showing its age. The major portion consisting of the A-to-Z listing was originally published in 1961. This revision has an addenna of 70 pages listing new words which have come into usage since then. Merriam-Webster has announced that a Fourth Edition should be expected by 2002. Hopefully, they are also looking on publishing a CD-ROM version.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fixture in my home office, 5 April 1999
This review is from: Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Hardcover)
It bothers me somewhat, as others have noted below, that the main 2662-page text of the Third New International is unchanged from the 1961 original, but the bulk of formal American English has remained surprisingly constant since that time. I had been relying upon an old Seventh New Collegiate by Merriam-Webster until now, and had come to appreciate their particular brand; "the genuine article", as it were. When I uncrated this book, I realized that it had to have a place of easy access where it could stay opened all the time, for it is so large. I ended up needing to clear a whole shelf, and I installed its own overhead fluorescent lamp. It gets a lot of everyday use, and if I don't find the word, I know I should think twice before continuing to use it in my speech and writings. I only wish the Addendum were integrated with the main portion. I, too, will be interested in their Fourth edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars The W3 is unequaled by any single-volume English dictionary, 8 July 1998
This review is from: Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Hardcover)
Several so-called unabridged dictionaries are available to me and my legal-writing colleagues. That residing in my personal office is the W3. Frequently, colleagues cannot locate a word or word usage in other unabridgeds, but find it in my W3. It never occurs the other way around. If you need more, you've got to go to the OED. At Amazon.com's price, the W3 is a steal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Webster's Third New International Dictionary, 20 July 2012
This review is from: Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Hardcover)
It has been a very usefull tool for me because I am trying to improve my english level and as I had a "Seventh New Collegiated" that by the way it helped me and my brother a lot I decided to buy this what is more actual and bigger.
I know that many peoples could find it worst than un english dictionary from Cambridge or Oxford but there are hundred millions of persons who live out of the UK borders and speak, read and write in this beautifull and rich language.
In the future I have intention to buy the "Shorter Oxford..."

Gerardo

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 18 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Hardcover)
The Dictionary was fantastic as the rest of the order. The book is in perfect form. I think this is one of the best english dictionary never pub. I suggest it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars W3 or OED?, 29 Mar. 1998
This review is from: Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Hardcover)
There are only two definitive English language dictionaries: Webster's Third (W3) and the Oxford English Dictionary (OED).
The OED has the advantage of scholarship, prestige and preeminence: it is generally regarded as the gold standard in the definition of English words. It achieves this primarily by citing historical books and manuscripts, going back in many cases to the dark ages, when the language itself was evolving. Comprising some 22 volumes and requiring more than three feet of shelf space, it is an impressive addition to anyone's library, albeit at a high cost. It is available, again at high cost, on CD ROM.
W3 is a single volume about four inches wide. It offers a precise definition of every word you will ever encounter (450,000 are listed) except for slang and jargon, obsolete words, technical vocabularies and recent additions to the language. It is not above providing an occasional literary allusion. It defines the English language.
Suppose you want to look up the word "synecdoche." Which of the following scenarios do you prefer?
(1) Find volume 10 of the OED and learn that Wyclif (1338) defined it as "whanne a part is set for al, either al is set for oo par . . ."
(2) Start computer, find CD ROM, load CD ROM, go to OED, step through program, find information, unload CD ROM, turn off computer, file CD ROM, go back to what you were doing in the first place.
(3) Open W3 and read "a figure of speech by which a part is put for a whole (as fifty sail for fifty ships) . . ."
W3 is THE dictionary. It belongs in everyone's home. At the listed price it is an incredible bargain. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Dictionary, 4 April 1999
This review is from: Webster's Third New International Dictionary (Hardcover)
I found this dictionary outstanding quality. As a person who's english is not a first language, I love the unlimited variety words and the detailed descriptions of each words. I hoped if the book isn't so big and heavy but I guess it's impossible for this dictonary. I like to recommend to evrybody and I have so. For new buyers, you won't regret. People might think this dictionary is not much different from the oxford but THIS is quiet an extraordinary...

1.0 out of 5 stars Such ridiculously small print!!!!, 4 Nov. 2011
Pluses: Extremely comprehensive in coverage, but:

3. Bear in mind this is equally a sort of encyclopaedia - containing many line drawings and even some colour prints!

4. Very heavy and unwieldy.

A law-unto-itself and a revised (Fourth) edition is desperately needed if going to compete with the OED.

My views anyway.

Webster's Third New International Dictionary
Webster's Third New International Dictionary by Philop Babcock Gove (Hardcover - 28 Sept. 2008)