5.0 out of 5 stars a total stunner, 23 Feb 2004
marty mcfly - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses (Paperback)
I came at Bukowski from the prose and im not a huge fan of poetry, in general. I do find, however, that on the rare occasion that poetry grabs me it wrenches and pulls in a way that great prose never can. This is one of the most engaging, raw, simplistic and poignant collections i have troubled to read. This is simply fantastic and proof of why Bukowski regarded his poetry as his finest, most relevant work and of why he enjoyed it so much more than his prose. The messages are succinct and unfettered and the piece entitled 'notice' contains so much grief and aggression and such a stark contrast between love and death, that i found it truly moving. This is something Bukowski never managed to achieve in his novels and short stories and i think it is a perfect example of the nature of his talents.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Bukowski's poetic masterpiece., 9 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses (Paperback)
This book is Bukowski's finest collection of poetry ever published. As with all prolific writers, Buk's books often come with more filler than sustenance- that is not the case here. The poems written for/about Jane highlight his most soulful collection. The usual mask of nonchalance has been stripped away, along with the chains of his self-created tough guy/barfly image. The tenderness and warmth are unfiltered by his masculine facade. Moving, desolate, and often humorous, this book is nearly flawless. It is written in such a way that anyone can read and understand. It isn't written in a flowery, deeply symbolic style that makes younger readers hate poetry. This book is from the heart, mind and fists of a man who has loved, suffered, hated and laughed. Anyone who has done likewise should be able to appreciate the raw beauty presented within. Make no mistake, the alcoholism, sex and madness that made Bukowski famous are all represented here as well. This is the book to read if you are interested in the most three-dimensional portrayal of the late poet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Collection, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses (Paperback)
I've bought many books off Amazon in the past but have only felt compelled to leave a review for this particular item. Prior to this, I'd read a few Bukowski books (namely Ham on Rye, Post Office, Tales of Ordinary Madness, Pleasures of the Lost and Damned) and flicked through a few of his other books that a friend owns (Pulp, You Get So Alone at Times that it Just Makes Sense). Usually, I prefer novels or short stories to poems but this collection is excellent.

It has everything you'd expect from Bukowski. The writing is, in the main, simple but powerful in an efficient way. For me, Buk's main strength as a writer was the uncanny knack he had of describing the rawest of emotions in such few words and it is prevalent throughout this work.

I almost comment on the book itself, it's a beautiful print. Dare I say the print is almost elegant? I also ordered South of No North at the same time as this book and that is the same print.

All-in-all, it's an excellent product. If you're a Bukowski fan, I'd urge you to buy this as I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you've never read him, I'd recommend this as a good starting point (or maybe Ham on Rye if you prefer novels to poetry).

Thanks Amazon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic poems ripped straight from heaven and hell, 25 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses (Paperback)
This is a great collection. The "Jane" poems alone are worth the price of admission, but there is much, much more here for your consideration.
READ BUKOWSKI AND LIVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bukowski - Wild horses couldn't .., 7 Sep 2013
Rudi "Lion" (the Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses (Paperback)
Better enjoy Bukowski's humor and sarcasm sitting down rather than on horseback... Always love his poetry, rather better than his novels. Cannot go wrong with Bukowksi if you can appreciate his raunchy style and sarcasm.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charles Bukowski - The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills | Review, 24 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses (Paperback)
We're looking at yet another excellent collection of Bukowski's poetry, which was first published (as far as I can tell) in 1969. Expect the usual - Bukowski almost has his own literary genre, and his cynicism is present here in abundance. That's a good thing.

I always marveled at the way that Bukowski captured snapshots of everyday life in such a suggestive and powerful way - what he says, while commonplace, says much about the poet. For example, in 'poem for personnel managers', he says: 'An old man asked me for a cigarette and I carefully dealt out two. "Been lookin' for a job. Gonna stand in the sun and smoke."

You also get a glimpse at a different side to the poet's relationship with horses - it becomes clear that he doesn't just bet on them: "I keep remembering the horses under the moon. I keep remembering feeding the horses sugar, white oblongs of sugar more like ice, and they had heads like eagles, bald heads that could bite and did not."

5.0 out of 5 stars A great poet, 15 May 2012
I [[ASIN:0876850050 The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses Over the Hills] I have always loved poetry, and when I was young, read an enormous amount by poets from all over the world. But then I stopped for about 20 years. I don't know why. Maybe it had lost its freshness for me, or I found it too disconnected from daily living. Then I discovered Charles Bukowski. It was like a bucket of cold water thrown in my face to wake me up. Here is a narrative poet, in the tradition of Homer, who writes so vividly about his own life that you can feel it, taste it, smell it, laugh and cry over it. His poetry is gritty, dirty, and sometimes obscene, but always real. And beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHARMING AS ALWAYS, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses (Paperback)
When Bukowski was drunk, all hell broke loose.

The best poems of his era are concentrated in a book. Surrealistic or realistic situations with Bukowski at his bet.

It is recommended to starters or used readers

The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses
The Days Run Away Like Wild Horses by Charles Bukowski (Paperback - 17 Aug 1992)