This is the story of one man's training in one of the esoteric Traditions of India. It was Yogananda's task to bring that particular Tradition (spiritual path) to America so that, in the fullness of time, the Wisdom of the East can transform the Activity of the West.

Published on 23 Aug 2008 by noniere meuse

1.0 out of 5 stars All that glsters is not gold!
I have awarded this book only one star to draw attention to the flaws, in the form of fantasies and fabrications, that are dotted throughout this work by someone erroneously considered a great yogi. Yogananda wasn't an especially bad yogi simply not the great one he is deemed to be by way too many people, most of whom do not seem to use their own innate intelligence and...
Published on 30 Mar 2010 by Valentina O.Cimun

5.0 out of 5 stars Scientific rigour and intuitive perception are the two sides of the same coin, 23 Aug 2008
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)

We are used to thinking of Traditions as eternal but in fact they come and go. More accurately, they are obscured from human gaze until humanity has matured enough to utilise them. Although ancient, the Tradition to which Yogananda belonged was withheld from the human sphere until the mid-nineteenth century when it was revived by Yogananda's Guru's Guru's Guru.

The book describes in detail not only the remarkable Being in who's ashram Yogananda was trained but also the others in the lineage. Although the outward appearance of such Beings is unexceptional, they are transformed at the level of consciousness and are capable of feats far beyond that of ordinary mortals. When he died, for example, Yogananda's Guru materialised before him a physical body indistinguishable from the one Yogananda had known - one which he could actually embrace.

At the head of this lineage is Mahavata Babaji - the Deathless Guru. He remains in obscurity in India accessible only to those who are ready. He will remain upon the physical plane until "the end of the Age" which, I guess, in the language of Theosophy, is the end of the current 5th Root Race.

The Tradition which Yogananda brought to America is that of Kriya Yoga. It is billed as a scientific method - with the precision of mathematics - of bringing rapid Enlightenment to the individual who practises it. A correspondence course is available from the Self-Realisation Fellowship in America with application forms on the website at: yogananda-srf.org

In addition to the above, the book contains chapters on Yogananda's meeting with Gandhi, Non-eating and Sleepless Saints and Therese Neumann the Catholic Stigmatist who effectively neither ate nor slept - a remarkable feat before the advent of the Xbox.

Before I read this book I assumed Yogananda was just another Eastern Geezer peddling unassimilable spirituality to an non-critical Western audience. Now I think that assumption was a little hasty. Although his devotion to his Guru is comical to the Western mind and his mode of expression is of a bygone age Yogananda has something to say to those who have an open mind as to the nature of reality. The whole point of the book as far as I'm concerned is to show clearly that the materiality of the West is not the complete picture and that the so called miracles of the East are possible for anyone who is prepared to investigate the phenomenon in a scientific manner. The Eastern Yogi knows that science is not just about the investigation of the physical world and that rational thinking is equally applicable to the investigation of inner phenomena. For a phenomenon to be investigated scientifically it must be repeatable - and that is the explicit promise of Kriya Yoga. Hopefully the correspondence course will open for many the gates of Internal Science which have remained closed for so long and give them their first indications that the claims of the ancient sages is reality based - that scientific rigour and intuitive perception are the two sides of the same coin.

Race you to Enlightenment!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Miraculous Read, 2 Oct 2008
Mrs. Petra D. Wilson "PetraW" (Corsica/France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by several friends, which is why I bought it. Curious as to what they were raving on about: "It will change your life!" I was told. 'Yeah, right!" I cynically replied. However, once I finally got around to purchasing it I devoured every word. It is a feast for the soul.
You really do come away feeling you have been given a gift by the Saint.
If every body read this book, what a difference it would make in the world.
Yes, I've heard that Autobiography of a Yogi has transformed many people's lives. I could feel his presence often while I read it. I found myself bursting into tears on several chapters, (and that isn't like me at all!)
In this age of materialism, I believe many Westener's are turning towards spiritual matters. You can't go far wrong with this book to find Truth and guidance.

5.0 out of 5 stars an elixir of light, happiness and youth for the soul, 17 Jun 2007
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite books. Everybody i gave this book to equally worships it. It is a treasure. I wish i could repeat the personal transformation gained after reading it for the first time. I can not recommend it enough to anyone, any age, any religion, any place, any time! I wish i could find something else equally uplifting, mind-bogging and divine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, thought proving, insightful, i could go on, 15 Feb 2008
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
This is a wondeful book. Having just started down the route of self-relisation with my own Guru he recommended this book to me. This book has helped bring God closer to my life. It is something I will read again and again. I am certainly not of an age where God has become important to me because of "that time of life". This book has opened my eyes and given me the strength to go forward with what my heart (and I now realise God) want me to do with my life. Yogananda stands beside you whilst you read it. I cannot recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 4 Jun 2013
H. Hewitt (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
I loved reading this book so much I'm reading it again and again ,I don't think I could get fed up of reading it so I'm not trading it in you'll have to buy your own .

5.0 out of 5 stars Opens the door to another way of being, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
For me this book was the perfect antidote to the western way of viewing the world. With science claiming it has the answers yet offering nothing but a mechanical logical reality, it was a revelation to see the world from a non-dualistic perspective. I recommend this book if you have a inkling that what is being taught in the west is not the whole story by a very long way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read for those in search of self realisation and a spiritual path, 1 May 2013
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
Fantastic read for those in search of self realisation and a spiritual path. Definitely recommended. Could not put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography of a Yogi, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
This book makes compelling reading for those at the start of a spiritual journey. Its central argument is that the love of God and not materialism is the key to successful living

5.0 out of 5 stars A literary journey through the eyes of a Master, 28 Aug 2014
There is not enough I could say about the life-enhancing force you will experience when reading this literary masterpiece. Written with an eloquence of a time when grammar, punctuation, and wordsmanship were deemed as the foundation of education and self-respect, this book will take you on a journey through the eyes of one of life's true sages, and when you finish, you will be wanting more!
An absolute gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars paramahansa yogananda, 13 Sep 2013
This review is from: Autobiography of a Yogi (Paperback)
this book changed my life at the age of 22 when I was living in a Catholic country.It was my first time wawy from home.This book has been my guide and a source to dip into to answer so many questions about life and spirituality.He never preaches,always is kind and gentle and of course now quite old fashioned,but non the worse for that.
If you need inspiration and answers to lifes' questions try this book.

Autobiography of a Yogi
Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda (Paperback - 1 May 2006)
6.39