5.0 out of 5 stars A most impressive work for complete support of dam & litter.
Published on 18 Jan. 1998

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is not for me
This book is not for me, I was disappointed after reading the good reviews as I usually trust other buyers . To be honest it did not give me the basic info I really needed. This book is old and outdated, The Book of The Bitch is much better .
Published 22 months ago by Trisha

5.0 out of 5 stars A most impressive work for complete support of dam & litter., 18 Jan. 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Breeding a Litter: Complete Book of Prenatal and Postnatal Care (Howell reference books) (Hardcover)
This amazing book dedicated for the first-time potential breeder, fascinates and informs as well, active fanciers with years of experience in the field. This serious work is very well illustrated with appropriate photographs and is interjected with a marvelous sense of humor through numerous illustrations. The book includes not just the ideal experiences, but also the "what if ..." occurrences. The chapters proceed in a logical progression. Included is an extensive glossary of terminology. The indexing by individual subject or problem is a complete referral. This piece of artistry painted with words has saved the lives of innumerable dams and offspring. Even the most experienced breeders are now whelping their litters "by The Book"! This rarity in the realm of dogs and breeding is destined to become a classic in its own time and beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars bang on!!, 17 Sept. 2010
This book is sooooo exciting to read. I was looking for a more "in depth" read and this is it. Explains situations and scenarios in terms that are easily understandable and i was able to gain a lot more knowledge from this open and honest book. I would recommend it to anybody who is thinking of going into breeding. I found it particularly good as it talked about giant breeds quite a lot which is my personal breeding programme requirements. A lot of books talk about 'popular' breeds without mentioning giant breeds, so this pleased me immensely.

A "must have" for any bed side cupboard!! (I can't wait to go to bed every night just to read my new book)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I needed, 3 Dec. 2012
Jeff (Carshalton, Surrey) - See all my reviews
I am about to embark on breeding from our Golden Retriever bitch for the first time so I am learning as much as possible. This is the second book I have bought. On first glance it looks a bit dull as it doesn't have the colour photos that the other book has (The Complete Book of Dog Breeding by Dan Rice). This one is hardback with black and white photos and lighthearted cartoons. There seems to be more information in this book, particularly about the actual birth process. I have been comparing what the different authors say and now feel quite confident as we approach mating time. Both books are by American authors so there are many references to the American Kennel Club and stuff about registering puppies will be different, but overall I am very pleased with the book and would recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book is not for me, 8 Jun. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok but....., 15 April 2013
I found it a bit dated and old fashioned. Wasn't really an exciting read, not like " book of the bitch" which is very straight forwardly informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Oct. 2014