5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Tom Jordan's book Pre!
Published on 17 April 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book but too factual
I love reading running books and especially about athletes such as Prefontaine who in his own right was a running legend, especially in the States even though he never won an Olympic gold medal. After reading all the 5 star reviews on here, I decided to buy this novel and read it whilst I was on holiday.

I have to be honest, the book was written very factual...
Published on 26 Sep 2008 by Mr. C. J. Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Tom Jordan's book Pre!, 17 April 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Pre: Story of America's Greatest Running Legend Steve Prefontaine (Paperback)
Tom Jordan's book Pre: the story of america's Greates Running legend Stever Prefontaine, is a very inspiring story of the life, and tragic death of one of the greatest American distance runners ever. The book starts before Steve (as he was called then) even began running. In Jr. High when he saw the High School cross country team runn by he said "What kind of crazy nut would spend two or three hours a day just running?" Soon he became hooked on running. And the story takes off from there.
Tom Jordan's writing in places still gives me chills every time I read parts of the book. The description of Pre's Olympic 5000m final is one of these sections. Even after reading the book over ten times, I still get chills reading the chapter on this race.
if it was possible, I would have rated this book a 15, but the scale only goes up to 10. If you are a runner of any kind, even a sprinter, or someone who jogs evey morning, and could never break 9 minutes for the mile, I would suggest reading this book. Perhaps it will inspire you to run faster, and set a new PR.
I'm going to end this review with the same sentance that Pre used to end talks to children: "To give anythig less than your best is to sacrafice The Gift."

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone who considers themselves a runner., 16 Jan 1999
By A Customer
While Tom Jordan's writing style is quite straightforward and easy to read, it quickly becomes predictable. Fortunately, the subject, Steve Prefontaine, comes to life through a series of personal experiences, Prefontaine quotes, colorful races accounts, and reflections of friends and family. Prefontaine comes across as a brash, energetic, and competitive young man with an indomitable spirit. His lesson for aspiring distance runners is that hard work, discipline, toughness, and determination are the traits that lead to success in distance running. For the competitive runner, Prefontaine's style and approach are well showcased by the book. As one reads the account of "Pre's" life and running, it quickly becomes evident why he has become an icon to distance runners. The account of his most important race, the 5000 meter at the 1972 Olympics in Munich, is poignant. Overall, a very satisfying book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 1 Sep 2010
Daniel J. Weston (Wrexham, Wales, GB) - See all my reviews
This book has a lot of detail in about Pre's life! It does what it says on the tin. You read mostly a collection of other peoples memories of how they remember Pre in different parts of his life. If you are a runner this will inspire you. If you are not into sports then I would recommend you buy something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book for anyone who thinks they know about dedication, 20 Mar 1999
By A Customer
I personally thought this book was excellent. Although some may not have liked the "stride by stride" of some of the races, I loved it. It got my heart pumping and my adrenaline going. I believe that Steve Prefontaine is a perfect example of what an American icon should be. I'm disappointed that there aren't many books on Pre, but I guess any others would be difficult to top after this one, and there isn't much else to say about him in the full scope of things. I'm a runner myself, and I might be a little biast on that topic. In any event, I'm glad there was this book on him and that it has the quality that it does.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Book but too factual, 26 Sep 2008
Mr. C. J. Howard "Chris" (South Wales) - See all my reviews

I have to be honest, the book was written very factual and direct. I actually wanted to know more about "Pre" the person and not necessarily just about his running ability. What was he like as a person? There needed to be more information about his personal life as well as his athletic ability, but this book just seemed to be a little one dimensional.

The other complaint I had about the book was the running times that the author thought so important throughout the novel. I love my running and love to hear about other peoples PB's and lap times etc. but this was taken to ridiculous proportions with some chapters detailing about six or seven different times that Pre recorded in one athletics meet alone. It was all again a bit too data driven and I sometimes got a little lost due to it being too much information in small pockets.

Overall the book was an interesting read and I did enjoy it but there needed to be more information about Prefontaine the person as well as the athlete he so obviously was.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book - Go Pre!, 5 Sep 1999
By A Customer
Steve Prefontaine truly was the greatest American distance runner ever. I bought this book and I loved it. If you care at all about Pre, I highly recomend it. It's got a lot of good pictures, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 5 Sep 1998
By A Customer
This is a very inspirational book for anyone who runs long distance or competes in any area of life. Steve Prefontaine was on top of the record books for many years, and this book chronicles those years in an inspriational AND quite intersting way. Use this as a motivational tool or just to learn the story of one of the most successful and famous atheletes of our time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Two thumbs up. It made me believe again., 23 Mar 2000
By A Customer
The book speaks for itself. If you believe in the humanity of mankind, you'll cry your way to the end. Pre= Loved by me (squared).

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 5 Mar 2014
Book was not of the quality I expected,

The cover was creased. The most disappointing standard of order I have received

5.0 out of 5 stars Legend, 1 Aug 2013
A great inspirational read from start to finish. A true American running legend. An insightful book on all Pre's running achievements and tragically short life. Highly recommend

Pre: Story of America's Greatest Running Legend Steve Prefontaine