VINE VOICEon 3 September 2011
This is a hugely informative book by MLVF, in which she not only defines the nature of Projection in the individual but also puts it into an historical context, with an extensive trawl through Western philosophy, science, alchemy, theology and mythology. It's an intellectual tour de force and is by turns gripping, insightful and in places hellishly obscure.

It's not always an easy read and at times her statements require you to put in a fair bit of work to grasp the full import of what she's saying - though it's usually worth the effort. If you're looking for a book that tells you the fundamentals of Projection, this is not the place to start - other books, like Robert A Johnson's Inner Gold, can do that in a far simpler way.

Mind you, if you want it all boiled down to one paragraph. Projection: we all do it all the time and we don't know we're doing it. Nobody knows why, it's just the way humans are wired. As soon as we realise we're projecting we stop. Can't for the life of me understand why all these psychoanalysts take hundreds of pages to say that but I suppose they need to pay the bills just like the rest of us.

However, if you're seriously into studying Jungian psychology you'll need to read this book at some point as it's the definitive work on the subject. Difficult at times but ultimately immensely rewarding and still a lot more accesible than some of the long-winded and frequently impenetrable statements by the man himself.
on 9 November 2012
This is the second book I've read by the author and find her style similar to Jung's,in regards of technical explanations, but with more examples and historical reference,making it easier to understand.That's not to say that this is a breeze to read, but it certainly has more substance and depth to it than the more superficial "self-help" type literature on the same subject.This leads to a clearer understanding of the overall mechanics of the processes involved, rather than asking you to accept certain things as a matter of faith.It probably helps if you are familiar with the concepts under discussion and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as a starting point in Jungian psychology but it is certainly clearer than much of Jung's own material.
Of particular interest, was the reinterpretation of the phenomena of demons what they mean and how to treat them when they manifest and the attempt to explain the observations of Quantum physicists concerning the observers effect on the outcome of experimentation.
On the whole the book covers much more than its title suggests and is thorough in it approach to its subject without deviating from its initial educational intentions.
on 27 November 2010
Marie-Louise Von Franz writes with enormous insight and humanity. This book takes a very broad look at how we relate to the world and what this says about ourselves. I found that many of the things that she says feel right and have helped me understand my relationships and myself a little better.
on 26 October 2015
its a book which you cant get in libraries
on 4 February 2016