5.0 out of 5 stars Searching for life's true meaning.
Years ago my mother gave me her volumes to read which was copyrighted in 1937. She was lending them all the time, and once when they didn't come back she said " don't worry, they'll be returned". A stranger knocked on her door one day and said "I think these belong to you". They were returned right before she died.
These volumes have greatly...
Published on 28 Jan. 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!
A most incredible account of a research trip to India in 1894, meetings with unprecedented spiritual masters, and spiritual knowledge resulting from these meetings.

Published on 27 Mar. 2013 by Asha

5.0 out of 5 stars Searching for life's true meaning., 28 Jan. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East: Boxed Set: Volumes 1-6 (Paperback)
These volumes have greatly influenced my life over the years, and with each rereading new doors have opened to me. I highly recommend them to anyone searching for life's true meaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a novel but the concepts are truth., 13 May 2011
Amazon Customer (isle of wight,uk) - See all my reviews
Let's start with the human side of the truth, Mr. Baird T. Spalding never went to the places he wrote in this book, this is confirmed in the website dedicated to him ( [...] ), but that doesn't mean the contents are all fake or not true. To me there's more truth here than in most spiritual books, I don't judge mr. Spalding because he loved tall tales, ( in the early years of the century apparently this was a common practice), clearly he was well inspired about these teachings.
All I want to say is that it's a waste of time triyng to find the places or the people mentioned in this book...just read carefully the contents and be inspired by those, that's what's important.

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye-opening, life changing, joyful experience for all., 25 Mar. 1998
By A Customer
This is an amazing series which provides universal truths which will awaken you to levels of understanding of the universe we are all a part of. It is transformational in that you will forever view life through a different reference framework and you will find more inner-peace and harmony in all aspects of your life. It is a must to read and to gift to other seekers.

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING, 14 Mar. 2010
Ms. B. J. Mckenzie (Brighton, Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This box set of the Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East is priceless. Every page is filled with wisdom and Truth, and endless upliftment. THANK YOU.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life - WOW, 6 April 2009
L. Jackson - See all my reviews
Delightful, informative, uplifting and self-empowering - there's more in these books than I could ever have imagined and I am only half way through the set. Very easy to read & each volume takes you on a journey showing from experiences of the author/group the ideal way for life lived to the full, as well as explaining Universal Truths/Laws. It matters not when they were written as everything is completely relevant for humanity in the 21st century and it's all so simple, as all great truths are.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for anyone truly on the Path!, 19 April 1999
By A Customer
My grandmother first gave me this to read when I was about 12, and I am now 50. I have had 3 sets of this series and each set has found it's way into someone's hands who needed it. I'm about ready to purchase set 4 and hope it stays around long enough for me to read it several more times before it finds it's new hope. Of course, I'll just go get another set anyway, so it really doesn't matter since the Universe continues to provide so abundantly. Truly a set that those on the Path have loved for many years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only books you need!!!!, 16 Oct. 1998
By A Customer
If you are on a spiritual journey these books are the only books you will ever need. Throw away most everything else you have ever read about God! This is our true journey. Each time you read these books you will have a deeper understanding of their divine truth. If you feel this is your journey please email me at tatiacha@hotmail.com lets talk!

5.0 out of 5 stars The lives and teachings of true alchemists, 12 Feb. 2008
Laura De Giorgio "hypnotherapist" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Yes, it does seem that the practice of internal alchemy faired far better in the East than in the West. After all there are many more true masters living in India and China. One may add that the general world-view there (at least in China) is more supportive of the practices and life-style required for spiritual attainments.
In Taoist Alchemy, there is even classification of immortals, according to the levels of attainment:

- Human Immortals remain human, but though they eat, drink and dress like people, they can avoid the calamities of aging, sickness and death

- Earth Immortals remain on the earth, but they are not affected by cold or heat, hunger or thirst. Though they cannot project their spirits, they can avoid the bother of food, clothing and shelter

- Spiritual Immortals are capable of supernatural powers and transformations; coming and going at will; they can shed the physical shell to attain an ethereal independence. They can dissolve into energy or solidify into form.

- Celestial Immortals go even further in their work. They go beyond our human world to another world that cannot be imagined by human intellect.

Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East describes lives and provides teachings from what would in Taoist Alchemy be called Spiritual and Celestial Immortals.

Supernatural powers emerge spontaneously at certain stages of spiritual development, as a result of one's merging with the "All", with the Infinite, with God, with Tao.

Any person who has even meditated for any extended period of time would of necessity become aware of the spontaneous emergence of certain "powers".

It is only natural that as one meditates upon the Infinite Life, as one holds in his awareness the Infinite Life, that one becomes filled with more Life.

It is only natural that as one hold in his awareness that which is Infinite and Eternal, free of all limitations that the limitations would begin to fall off out of his own life.

It is only natural that as ones consciousness is filled with spiritual thoughts, spiritual energy begins to saturate his mind, emotions and body, spiritualizing the body in the process, re-arranging one's neurology and enabling the individual to do easily what he wasn't able to do before.

There is nothing unspiritual about using one's legs to walk, why would it be unspiritual using one's higher ability to teleport.

When ordinary people work at jobs using their intellectual abilities, it is no more or less spiritual then doing physical labor. So why would manifesting supply directly of the universal substance be unspiritual? Energy follows thought. All that these masters are doing is using their thoughts in a constructive way.

After all, the life on spiritual path becomes easier and lighter, as one progresses along.

People in Life and Teachings do not use their powers to boost their egos, but when the use of these abilities is necessary. They use their powers responsibly.

Ordinary people go to schools and universities to learn some skills and get degrees. That in itself doesn't make them either spiritual or non-spiritual. How they use their skills - to help people or to take advantage of them, their motivations for using them is what would make it spiritual or non-spiritual.

We all have the same amount of time and energy available and we choose how we're going to use them, whether we'll just waste our lives, whether we'll develop skills to just get by or whether we'll develop skills and abilities that will enable us to live meaningful lives.

Spirituality is not something we do in our spare moments - it is the cultivation of spiritual awareness in all that we think and say and do. And yes, bodies are necessary - that's why we're here and that's why we have them. Our bodies are our alchemical labs, the vessels in which the alchemical transmutation occurs. That is where we cultivate life, where we tend our spiritual embryo, until it is strong enough that the physical body is not necessary any more. As the spiritual embryo grows and matures, the spiritual powers naturally emerge - just like a kid or a man is able to do more than a baby. And there is nothing "unspiritual" about a man using the abilities that naturally emerged with his bigger and stronger body. It is not more spiritual to keep on crawling like a baby, when one can walk, so why should one live bound by limitations of those in "mortal consciousness" after he realizes that he is not a "mortal" and "limited" being, after he is realizes that he is still as God created him, in His image and likeness - free of all limitations.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best buy for a long time, 16 Jun. 2011
Recommended by discerning and spiritualy developed friends. This volume is one of the few things in life I really value. It is rich in its teachings.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredible!, 27 Mar. 2013

I have searched for books and scientific reports by other members of the research team of 11 scientists but have not been able to find any such works. In fact I have not been able to find any record of the research party or the expedition.

There are some very good insights in this series of books, suggesting that Mr Spalding did indeed meet some very spiritual people at some point in his life. Sadly there are also some gross misunderstandings of Eastern philosophy. Tragically several of these misunderstandings can be found reproduced and expounded upon in many subsequent new age books. I would therefore urge the serious seeker of Indian spirituality to consult authentic literature. Many of the topics in this series are covered in Swami Rama's book 'Living with the Himalayan Masters'. For insights into Buddhism I have found the Dalai Lama, Matthieu Ricard and Lama Yeshe to be very reliable and inspiring sources of information. Satish Kumar, in his book 'You are Therefore I am' gives delightful multi-faith insights into Indian spirituality. An exhaustive list would not be possible here.

I do not suggest one should not read Mr Spalding's books, only that they are better understood as fictional tales with some valid spiritual insights but also some incorrect and very misleading assertions which, if believed, could lead one on a destructive path far removed from the heart of eastern philosophical teachings. Since it is not the habit of truly spiritual men to pass off works of fiction as genuine scientific research, we are forced to conclude that Mr Spalding himself had not developed a very great degree of spiritual awareness; caution is therefore necessary in accepting his words.

I wish you all success in your search and hope this review may be useful to some degree.

Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East: Boxed Set: Volumes 1-6