Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Voyage Shop Now Shop now

Customer Reviews

4
3.5 out of 5 stars
5 star
2
4 star
0
3 star
1
2 star
0
1 star
1

Your rating(Clear)Rate this item
Share your thoughts with other customers

There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.

6 of 6 people found the following review helpful
on 28 September 1997
The majority of martial arts books/self defense books place much of their emphasis on technique, form,and tepid "how to instruction".Physical skills are emphasized at the expense of common sense and awareness. This was perhaps the first book to point out that exercising proper discretion and understanding why certain individuals pose threats to our well being can be more vital in many instances than possessing the ability to deliver lightning kicks and punches.The author,a veteran of many street wars when younger, believes your mind is still your best weapon and realistically exposes the myths behind traditional martial arts training which sadly leads many students to believe their training is a step towards immortality. I own this book approximately 8 years,have read it three times, and will continue to use it as a source of inspiration and reference. Many others of it's type have followed, so Mr.MacYoung must have been on to something.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
4 of 4 people found the following review helpful
on 27 August 1998
Although Mr. MacYoung does offer a lot of advice about streetfighting, the heart of his book is really about how you can avoid dangerous situations entirely. Much of this is common sense, gut instinct kind of stuff -- which of course most people ignore! 95% of bad situations can probably be avoided. As for the remaining 5%, he has good advice for the dojo trained: there's a BIG difference between the dojo and the street. It's the difference between fighting and combat. If you're not bothered by the author's frequent salty and street language, this is an entertaining book that is practical and informative.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
on 21 May 2012
Having read and reviewed one of his latter books I looked forward to reading this book.I was sadly disappointed to say the least,I did not finish this book.As I started to get into the book I began to question the validity and authenticity of the contents.Rather than getting too much flak from Mr. Macyoungs fans I think it best if I left it there.In conclusion it is very doubtful that I will add any more of the authors books to my collection.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
on 11 May 1999
Great ideas to help you learn to read situations and avoid a fight. Also, some good ideas on what to do if (when?) the above fails.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
     
 
Customers who viewed this item also viewed


Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected
Facing Violence: Preparing for the Unexpected by Rory Miller (Paperback - 4 May 2011)
£11.99
 
     

Send us feedback

How can we make Amazon Customer Reviews better for you?
Let us know here.