Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 November 2011
Events like the Japan and New Zealand earthquake, amongst others, did make me think that there was sense in being prepared for natural disasters and minor accidents. I also do some outdoor activities and the idea of having a survival pack makes sense. Every year, a few people will get caught out by a lack of preparation. Driving along the lonely and isolated Yorkshire Moors with a car on the verge of breaking down really gave me pause for thought. I started thinking about having some emergency equipment to hand. I bought the book out of curiosity but it really made me re-think my approach to being prepared. My emergency survival kit in my car used to consist of one large woolly blanket and a couple of spare emergency blankets. Just in case I was snowed in. Now it's much more comprehensive and packs a lot smaller. In case of an emergency, my car survival kit should keep me and a passenger warm and safe for twenty four hours. The book was written by an American with, unsurprisingly, an American bent in terms of equipment, etc. But the basic principles are sound and it should be possible to source the equipment anywhere in the world. The focus is narrow because it simply discussed equipment, some of which needs to be tested and practised with regularly. Not sure I either need to catch or cook small game and fish - I would be thinking in terms of staying in one piece until the emergency services arrive. But an unusual and interesting book, Well worth the purchase price.
on 7 July 2011
This book is excellent. Don't be put off by thinking that it will be too specialist - it will give you a host of ideas you can use with all your outdoor equipment. The author shows construction of a number of different kits for different situations, using the same approach in each case. The photographs aren't always particularly clear, but the descriptions are really effective. Definitely worth the money.
on 13 August 2011
I think this book is fantastic. Great value for money and the information contained is priceless. Its easy to read and understand and does exactly what it says on the front cover. I now feel more confident than ever in the knowledge this book has given me to help build a survival kit for the correct circumstances I might find myself in. Buy it today!
on 19 June 2013
This book is well presented (photos a bit grainy though) and gives food for thought on different approaches to survival kits. Some of the info isn't just what to put in the small tobacco tin but includes ideas on other kit and equipment which is desirable to take on your travels.
on 14 November 2009
this book is very good in that it deals with everything you need and dont need for a survival kit,from knives to water filters,i would highly recommened this book lots of information well worth the money.
on 9 February 2014
Handy book for the outdoor adventure seeker. Lots of good tips on how to pack a kit to cover every emergency.