on 28 February 2004
This book I've borrowed from the library. I think it will be the first running book I buy.
I'm 38 years old. I've been running for only 3 years and I'm trying to get below 3 hours on a marathon. This book has given me so much insight of what is needed to become better.
I'll keep on coming back to the book, read, and be inspired by the legends.
Whether or not this is copy-paste from other sources doesn't bother me. I'm happy to have it gathered in one place.
on 27 December 2012
This book was inspired by Ron Clarke and Norman Harris's 'The Lonely Breed' - a fantastic book - and is a worthy follow up. Moore writes well and goes into a lot of detail about the runners' training methods, motivation etc. Recommended reading for any competitive runner.
on 25 February 2014
I have a shelf full of running books from coaching manuals, science books, first person narratives etc. This is the best. This one I keep coming back to time and again. Buy it - read it.
on 6 April 2015
Great book, indispensable insights into the training and careers of many legends! One of my favorite running books!
on 28 August 1997
Having been a running affectionado for 25 years, I eagerly anticipated this book. Sandrock has a great idea, running with and interviewing many distance greats from our time. He does manage to get "inside their heads" and that's of value. But much of this seems to be blatantly plagiarized out of old "Track and Field News" issues. No surprise T&FN does not include this in their book selections.