5.0 out of 5 stars an excellent resource for mixed martial artists, 20 Aug 1999
This review is from: Greco-Roman Wrestling (Paperback)
The quality of this book is outstanding. The authors show great detail in the technique instructional photos and include detailed training schedules, including peaking routines for upcoming competitions. I highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Observers, for Understanding and Insight, 14 Feb 2006
J. H. Sweet - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greco-Roman Wrestling (Paperback)
I would like to describe how extremely helpful this book is to a spectator of the sport of wrestling. Since I am merely a fan or observer of this great sport, I don't have the inside knowledge to understand exactly what I am seeing when I watch wrestling. This book has been an excellent reference text and teaching guide for me to learn more about my favorite sport.
Since so much happens in such a short amount of time in wrestling matches - which is one of the reasons this sport is truly special and so exciting to watch (no endless waiting for something to happen, no standing around, no lengthy time-outs) - this book does a wonderful job explaining in depth what actions the observer is witnessing.
I know this book is intended as a training/how-to manual, but I feel it is great for non-participants (cheerers) too. I intended to pass this book on to a family member to encourage participation in the sport, but I am afraid I am keeping it for myself, at least for the time being.
Great photos, easily understandable technical/strategy information, and a nice history/background section - this book has it all. I already had a tremendous appreciation for the sport of wrestling as far as the sportsmanship, strength, endurance, strategy, training, skill, etc. Now I have a greater understanding of the complexities and nuances as well. This has given me wonderful insight into something I could admire, but only slightly understand before. And I am planning to employ some of the flexibility exercises in a non-wrestling context. This is simply a wonderful book for everyone to enjoy, not just wrestlers and coaches.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cross-Training Manual, 4 Feb 1999
This review is from: Greco-Roman Wrestling (Paperback)
Any free and folk style wrestler will benefit from manual by learning the well explained techniques demonstrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book to buy, 11 Aug 1999
This review is from: Greco-Roman Wrestling (Paperback)
I think this book and "Winning Wrestling Moves" are great books for the beginning wrestler.The moves are easy and the guidelines are so specific. I bought "Winning Wrestling Moves",and I am planning on buying "Greco-Roman Wrestling.The pictures are GREAT. I recommend all beginning wrestlers to buy these 2 books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great manual of wrestling., 17 Aug 2013
This review is from: Greco-Roman Wrestling (Paperback)
Firstly, I am not a wrestler. Like a lot of people that buy this book, I am more interested in submission grappling styles. I have done Shootfighting and Judo mostly, however, I am interested in all forms of wrestling. Finding instruction and reference materials on Greco are not easy. Luckily, this book(one of the few that exists on the sport) is an excellent edition to the grappler's library.
I found the book to be well laid out and the techniques were very well explained. The photo's are black and white, but they are still clear and show what is being demonstrated easily enough.
I think Greco is an excellent style and it is easy to see why it is popular with Mixed Martial Artists. I have shown this book to free style wrestlers, MMA guys and a few Greco wrestlers. None have had a bad word to say about it.
If, like me, you want to expand your grappling knowledge of Greco, yet don't have a club to practice at, this is the next best thing.
Grab this book, you wont be disappointed.

Greco-Roman Wrestling
Greco-Roman Wrestling by William E. Martell (Paperback - Mar 1993)
Used & New from: 21.41