5.0 out of 5 stars a real translation
Translators Stephen Addiss and Stanley Lombardo have done their best not to reinterpret the Tao Te Ching, but to allow it to speak for itself. This wonderful English version preserves the epigrammatic terseness of the original. The layout and illustrations strike the same note as the text.

What can I say - this is the best way to approach this work, short of...
Published on 3 Nov. 2008 by Mike L

I have an edition of the Tao Te King in French by a Chinese translator. This one is in English by an English translator. I am not always sure which one is better, but there are such differences sometimes that I think I should whether learn Chinese or try to get direct experience of the Tao.....
Published 1 month ago by pierson

5.0 out of 5 stars Peaceful, 19 April 2012
Kia (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
I have only just received this book and as such have not read it all, but what I have read is so thought-provoking and peaceful I have to give it five stars. The introduction is good too; gives an idea to someone like me who has no idea of Chinese history or how this book came to be.
Can't wait to continue reading it!

5.0 out of 5 stars For once, a book that isn't all about the translator, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Kindle Edition)
All too often, translations of works of philosophy are dominated by notes, introductions, footnotes, interpretation and explanation. This can make it difficult to take a view other than that of the editor or interpreter, and can really obstruct any attempts to create your own interpretation: which is just as legitimate as that of the editor.

This book doesn't do that. It's the text, with a small intro, no footnotes and a translation of some important words at the back. The translation itself is unobtrusive and clear, and the Tao Te Ching is a short work, so I've already read it about five times. Interpret away!

5.0 out of 5 stars A profound book in an inspired translation, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Kindle Edition)
I knew nothing about the Tao Te Ching before I read this, but I am so glad I have discovered it.
This is by far the best translation I found, having compared lots of different editions.

The English lets the many layers and meanings of the Chinese come across. It leaves you to ponder, wonder, interpret and imagine. Instead of explaining, it gives you the tools to make sense of the lessons for yourself, which is the ultimate aim of the original book itself.

There's also a great introduction.

3.0 out of 5 stars I am not always sure which one is better, but there are such differences sometimes that I ..., 4 Feb. 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Limitless, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
True wisdom should never be complicated. Every time I read over sections in this book, I get a different interpretation but there's always something that can relate to an experience I'm going through. Would definitely recommend to anyone with an open mind. Limitless reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tao te Ching, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
The translation is very good. Pity that the original text is missing. It would have been even better if a proper vocabulary with pin-yin could also be provided for the text. Perhaps it all comes together in the next edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 24 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
I researched Lao Tzu in the past so only felt it fitting that I order a book from the great master and this book aptly tells his story in his words through translation which I have found very profound and inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars A keeper, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
A lovely and unpretentious text, wonderful to browse through meditatively. I found myself picking it up several times when I've been tense or troubled to calm myself. Beautiful ilustrations too

5.0 out of 5 stars tao, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
a beautiful book.came fast in the post and i recommend it to a lot of friends as it is so beautifully written and powerful.was shipped very fast and came in excellent condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Spot on, 30 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Tao Te Ching (Paperback)
I'll never put it on my book shelf, but read a few lines every few days just to wake myself up. It's the social philosophy that would save the world for us.

Tao Te Ching
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (Paperback - 1 Nov. 1993)