on 26 May 2008
Having suffered from GERD for over 20 years and lately stomach upsets that kept me awake at night, I finally went to see my GP who prescribed a common proton inhibitor type antacid. The antacid would settle my stomach for a couple of days after which the stomach aches would become very much worse and I would be forced to stop taking the antacid. I sought an alternative solution and after some investigation discovered this book.

Contrary to common wisdom, this book claims that many stomach, nutritional and allergy problems are caused by low stomach acidity and it advocates taking supplements to make the stomach more acidic. The book makes a very strong case for this and gave me the confidence to try taking acid supplements myself. The results were immediate and very positive. I no longer think about my stomach or try to second-guess the effects of what I am about to eat.

Highly recommended.
on 21 November 2013
I have not finished reading this yet.. but already it is proving to be vital in our business [...] giving Natural Medicine health MOTs - because weak stomach acid can mean even the best diet does not supply the needs of the body. Serious health issues can result if we go on for years with low stomach acid, and some bacteria can be hidden in the stomach lining causing other long term health issues - so why oh why are doctors giving antacids and similar medications to people for YEARS? This cannot be good medicine when it results in so many health issues and a failure to thrive for many , further down the years. We are actively treating stomach acid as a foundation of good health, with natural remedies such as Zinc, Vit C, Betaine, and many other natural supplements so that a patient can start properly digesting again. In some cases where weight loss is an issue, the healthy weight gain starts within a couple of weeks of treating the HCL. For anyone interested in health - this is a great book. If you want to know more about our MOTs look up The Health Detectives - we are in Wales. Thanks authors for this book. Ought to be on the GP's reading list. Gitti
on 7 September 2013
I bought this book because I was so tired of always having stomach problems and have not found a lot of help from doctors. Most doctors advise anti acids and H2 blockers which made me feel really ill. I am gradually trying some of the suggestions in the book which is very thorough and detailed. There is certainly a lot more information than a GP has time to go into. The book tells you about different remedies you can try ( most of which I had never heard of) you then have the chance to research those and see what has worked for other people. A book worth getting if you are fed up with your gut.
on 17 December 2013
This is something that all schools need to teach about - the lack of Good Gut Bacteria! Those school 'tuck shops' and the rubbish we once bought from them, is clearly explained here. Once one has a better understanding towards what our Gut actually does for us, we shall all be more healthy! Invest in your future and you will be pleased that you read this, as it will make you much more aware of what you buy in the Supermarket - if you still go there that is.
on 8 June 2015
I'm 43 years old. I have suffered from insomnia, nightmares, asthma, eczema and M.E. since I was born. I developed rosacea when I was 19 years old. I gave up with the doctors about 2 years ago and started doing my own research by reading books and clinical journals. I have read many health books but this one seems to be the most relevant to my condition. I've been taking betaine HCL with pepsin for about ten days now. For the first week I went through what I think was a bit of a detox where my muscles ached, head aches, feeling awful and my rosacea got worse. But today I'm feeling a lot better and my rosacea seems to have improved(better than before) and I'm feeling quite optimistic. I will keep you posted. If you have similar symptoms to me then please buy this book. It even talks about tryptophan which the lack of could be causing my nightmares and insomnia.
on 3 April 2009
This book is highly recommended. It not only highlights the dangers of acid suppressing drugs which are given out by GP's worldwide as though they were candy, but it also gives you comprehensible instruction on what you should be doing. Throughout the book claims are backed up with facts, anecdotal reports, real studies and scientific rationale. Numerous myths largely regarded as 'common knowledge' are dispelled.

While the book contains complex theories and explanations, they are all presented in a clear and concise manor and the writer makes everything easy to understand. Both lay people and medical pracitioners would benefit from reading this book. Especially people who suffer from gastric issues.
on 8 June 2015
So so . Likes to tell you how bad medication is but for some people medication is not an option it is necessary. Prefer books with help sections rather than just telling you not to do something . If you are having digestive issue I recommend Sue shepherd, Jamie koufmann and Giulia Enders . They have produced the best books by far in my opinion
on 9 March 2012
What a great book, gave me the tools to combat my indigestion, and the knowledge to keep my stomach and gut healthy into the future. Some people when i tell them that their indigestion isn't a sign that they have too much stomach acid but a sign they have too little scoff at such a thought, as they among others have been brain washed into believing that taking ant-acids will fix the problem, if you to are like this then buy this book it will change your life!!!!
on 17 October 2015
A very good read for people who have been diagnosed with GERD, a disease that is not even a disease.You are being told the wrong information and need to learn that without having stomach acid, you cannot break your food down. Most people over the age of 50 have low acid, and by the time they are over 60 + no acid.
on 11 June 2015
This is a well written book with good clear explanations except for the role of gastrin. The author states that excess gastrin decreases motility whilst numerous other sources state that gastrin is responsible for increasing stomach motility - so who us right?