on 26 December 2009
I didn't know what to expect when I first ordered this book. I happened upon it on Amazon while looking for yoga and posture help.

The reason the book has the layout and approach that it does - a lot of text and background information - is because your own clarity and in-depth understanding of the body and how different areas relate to eachother is key to having these exercises work. It can be a very enlightening experience, and as you progress, the exercises and text support eachother to give the reader a fresh and subtly holistic understanding which can really help to get your posture and back into re-learning natural ways of being, the way we are as children before we start to tense up. These exercises though physically executed are largely psychologically based, as is the tension that creates poor posture in the first place.

To get the most from this book you're to explore, play and find what works for you, and then evolve your own routine. If you want a book that gives you basic step by step exercises to strenghten your back then 'Relax your neck liberate your shoulders' might not be right for you. Franklin discusses how just strenghtening areas of the body to pull yourself back into shape can be counter-productive because then we create a kind of paradoxical 'appearance' of relaxation and proper posture in the body; the logical solution is release, and since that is such a psychologically rooted issue this approach makes a lot of sense. I have learned a lot from this very respectable book.
on 9 June 2011
This book was recommended to me by a yoga teacher. It is informative and I have learned a lot about muscles and joints and the effects of tension build up. The exercises were useful but difficult to pick out from the text unless you read systematically through the book from cover to cover.

Maybe I am lazy but I would have found the imagery more useful if it was spoken aloud to me by a teacher (preferably whilst I am in relaxation) I appreciate the value of the imagery but I did find the exercising with imagery difficult due to trying to read, imagine and exercise at the same time.

I am glad I bought the book. The exercises are beneficial and I am gaining a lot and learning from it. I would recommend it to Yoga teachers.
on 27 November 2012
Another excellent book, giving you lots and lots of information to help clients and give more ideas of how to help shoulder and neck pain.
on 8 November 2014
If you dont get Dynamic Alignment at first read, a great introduction to the realm - of you. Franklin handles the complexity of his subject matter with amazing ease and profeciency and shares his impressive experience with remarkable generosity and joy. Together with Pelvic Power, the shortest cut to an authentic way of self-development.
on 17 June 2014
This book promises to help with neck problems, but I found it difficult to follow and the diagrams were bizarre to say the least.
on 24 May 2009
This book is long on technical detail and short on practical diagramatic exercises to assist in helping with your problems.

Those exercises which were in pictures, were spread about the book, without any proper structure. A section just showing exercises to do, would have made it a better book
on 13 June 2015
Very happy with this book....just what I needed
on 27 February 2015
bad writing,bits of text missing.