5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book for anyone interested in children., 4 Jan 1998
By A Customer
This book has gotten excellent and well-deserved advance praise from a variety of sources. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is interested in children, children's issues, social policy, or even just looking for some fascinating information on the development of the human brain (and all that that implies). It is clear, just from news accounts, that younger and younger children are committing crimes that are more and more violent. This book is an explanation for this rising tide of violence by youth using the latest early brain development research, case studies, etc. This book asks us to look at the (largely ignored in practice and policy) 0-3 age group as a source of changing this tide of violence. Abuse, neglect, head injury, chemicals, etc. all have lasting effects on the developing child & child's brain. "Ghosts From The Nursery" shows us that we really need look not much further than early childhood to explain and alter this expanding youth violence, anger and crime. There are chapters on brain development and substances that are well-written and easy for the layman to understand. There is an excellent chapter on the important role that fathers play in their children's development, and there are some excellent resources. With all of the discussion of the importance of the 0-3 age group that is currently cropping up, this is the best and most comprehensive book for the exact importance of that age group.

5.0 out of 5 stars Frightening but brilliant., 4 April 2014
This review is from: Ghosts from the Nursery: Tracing the Roots of Violence (Paperback)
Thought provoking, challenging and brilliant. I think this should be compulsory reading for everyone that come in to contact with vulnerable families.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting, 30 April 2013
I bought this books as part of my research into starting a volunteer project in Bulgarian orphanages. This gave me the references I needed to support early intervention with these babies. Id like to see a newer version with more up to date research but overall this was an interesting read and Id recommend it for those interested in factors influencing fetal brain development, attachment and life experiences within the first couple of years of life and the way they interact and combine to influence children's behaviour later on in life

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book and well written, 19 Jan 2013
This book is easy to read and the content is a real eye opener. The authors have written in depth the reasons why our young children and adolescents can become violent,destructive,addicted to drugs and lack empathy towards others.The authors have based their findings on the research available at the time. This book is clearly written,has case studies of young offenders who have commited serious crimes or have commited murder at a young age, and these offenders have described their early experiences which point towards the reasons described throughout this book. A clear message rings throughout the book-attachment disorders,parenting and early experiences of life contribute towards the building of the brain during pregnancy and in the first three years.
The authors mention that prenatal experiences involving mother and baby all account for the formation of the brain,and most of the reasons why problems occur can be prevented. Factors such as a pregnant woman stopping smoking,reducing her stress levels,learning about childbirth and parenting can help secure attachments form between mother and baby. The baby's brain at birth has subconscious imprints of prenatal experiences, and it was interesting to learn that whatever the woman feels and experiences during pregnancy is present in the baby.The authors mention on several occasions the effect of prenatal ingestion of alcohol,drugs and smoking can alter the way in which the brain is formed and there is now so much research to account for the authors description of prenatal experiences. A fabulous book for those who are in the field of childcare, adopted and fostered children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 4 Aug 2012
This is a fantastic book for anyone interested in the impact of abuse and neglect on children in later life. Will recommend it it to all my colleagues.

5.0 out of 5 stars ghosts from the nursery, 26 May 2009
ha mancini (uk) - See all my reviews
Excellent book if you want insights on brain develpment in relation to behaviour. Makes you reflect on your own parenting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for all child-bearing age adults., 30 Jun 1998
By A Customer
This book makes a compelling case for nurturance and protection of pregnant mothers and their young children. It's wonderful to imagine a society that offered its finest resources to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sad, 12 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book confirmed what I suspected about kids and violence. Kids just don't kill out of nowhere and blaming Hollywood is a mute point really. This book will make you stop and ask yourself if you really can afford to have kids, and I don't mean financially. I've seen people who you would swear were born without souls and it all goes back to the cradle. I was glad to finish this book because it was extremely depressing and at times I was close to tears. We must protect and love our little babies, hold them close, kiss them and yes SLEEP with them. We had a family bed and our daughter is a very well adjusted child because of that. After she was born I told the doctor she was sleeping with us (4 months) and he was very critical and said to get her out immediately! Well, I got rid of him immediately and continued to nuzzle my little treasure and kiss her little round head and turned up nose. For thousands of years babies slept with their mom's and it's only recently in the USA where it's been taboo for some stupid reason. You mothers who sleep with your babies KEEP ON DOING IT. It will save you money by not buying cribs and gimmicy sheets and such, not to mention the special closeness and bonding you experience. It's sad that a lot of mothers can't stay home with their babies because they have to work since corporate america for the most part considers children to be non-existant. And then there's that consumer frenzy. How many SUV's, cell phones, and extra clothes do we really need. We don't need it, WE DON'T!!!! I blame consumerism for the downfall of our nation and the destruciton of the family and children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be required reading for all parents to be, 25 Sep 1998
By A Customer
I wish I could praise this book enough. I stayed up very late many nights because of the compelling content. All people considering having children should read this book to make them better parent BEFORE the fact. It simply confirmed everything that I "knew" in my heart... we need to intervene with our children from the moment we even consider having sex... and also that we need to totally re-vision what we want our society to be. At the rate we are going, we will sink faster than the Titanic and the toll will be greater than we could ever imagine.

Ghosts from the Nursery: Tracing the Roots of Violence
Ghosts from the Nursery: Tracing the Roots of Violence by Robin Karr-Morse (Paperback - 7 Dec 1998)
9.77