5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful imagery, 22 Jan 2003
This review is from: Dream Work (Paperback)
This is a collection of forty five beautiful poems by American poet and Pulitzer prize winner Mary Oliver. There are some lovely images presented using some very easily readable and understandable although complex words and phrases. In many of the poems I felt individually spoken to by Oliver. I came across Mary Oliver when a friend recently read Wild Geese to me. This poem is in the collection and stands in great dignity and beauty.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Beautiful It Will Make You Cry Like A Baby, 17 April 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Dream Work (Paperback)
Mary Oliver is the poet I always point to first to contradict people who say, "For poetry to be good, it has to be depressing." Oliver continually proves that being hopeful, appreciative, and optimistic isn't necessarily incompatible with being a good artist/writer or a person who thinks analytically and critically. The poems in this book largely deal with nature, art, or music, and with appreciating the natural world, even if that appreciation sometimes needs to be forced.
I still don't know how Oliver does it. . . something about the clarity of her language makes subjects and philosophies that would sound trite or sugary in the lines of any other writer deeply moving. Perhaps because she doesn't embellish on her subjects, but lets the images and ideas speak for themselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars These poems are luminous and exquisite...., 20 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Dream Work (Paperback)
_Dream Work_ is the first Mary Oliver book that I found, way back in 1989 while ill with pneumonia. "The Journey", possibly Mary's most popular poem, leapt out at me and quite literally opened my mind to a deeper commitment to self-care. That poem was Good Medicine!! ... "Wild Geese" has been another balm; who among us couldn't feel more tender towards ourselves when we read these lines, "You do not have to be good./You do not have to walk on your knees/for a hunded miles through the desert, repenting./You only have to let the soft animal of your body/love what it loves."?

5.0 out of 5 stars Dream Work by Mary Oliver, 8 Mar 2011
This review is from: Dream Work (Paperback)
I have a specific reason for loving this book. It contains work which has profoundly affected my life. I especially love the poems "Wild Geese" and "The Journey". Be yourself and trust in your own judgement. Mary's poetry marries an acute awareness of nature with lessons on life. She draws our attention to the beauty and the wildness, to the savage and difficult aspects as well as the gentle and seemingly ordinary. In her world nothing is ordinary and her message is spiritual as well as about living. No wonder she won the pulitzer prize.Dream Work

5.0 out of 5 stars extra-ordinary, 21 Jun 2013
Ms. J. Leonard "wessiejessie" (cornwall) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dream Work (Paperback)
Theres not much I can say about this book other than its extra-ordinary. Mary Oliver is my favourite poet and this book of chosen poems makes for excellent reading; so inspiring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful work., 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dream Work (Paperback)
I was introduced to Mary Oliver's poetry only recently by a fellow art journaller who kept putting different quotes into her art journals. Now I have discovered this book I am hooked too!

Dream Work
Dream Work by Mary Oliver (Paperback - 7 Jan 1994)
7.79