5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, life altering practical approach..., 21 May 1998
By A Customer
Linus Pauling goes right to the science of nutrition with an emphisis on vitamin C as a prophalactic against ailments of every kind. I found the book easy to read but full of hard science, clinical trials and useful practical methods of protection against everything from the common cold to cancer. This book offers those interested in a scientific approach to vitamin supplements an incredible amount of hard evidence supporting daily intake of Vitamin C as a protector of the body from the toxins and diseases we come in contact with everyday. It actually changed my whole mindset towards supplements and bet it will change yours as well. I highly recomend it to all those planning or currently using vitamin and mineral supplements.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book by a real hero, 28 Jan 2012
Jodi-Hummingbird - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to Live Longer and Feel Better (Paperback)
This is a great book. I came away from reading it with a lot of respect and admiration for Linus Pauling and his work. The world would be a far better place with more people like him in it.

At the start of the book, Pauling gives a simple guide to how to live a healthier life. It's so simple, practical and inexpensive and makes so much sense. One wonders how much disease could have been prevented, and could be prevented now, if more of us followed these simple guidelines. My guess is A HUGE AMOUNT!

(Looking at M.E. specifically, one wonders how many of us could have avoided becoming severely ill by following this guide both pre- and post-illness...I wish so much I had had this guide in the early days of my illness, or before I became ill. I strongly suspect I would not be anywhere near as ill as I am now and I am mad that this basic advice about vitamins is so seldom given by the mainstream media or by doctors. WHY? When it's so safe, cheap and effective?? It's such a waste.)

This is a slightly paraphrased version of Pauling's basic regimen for a healthy life:
* Take 6 - 18 g of vitamin C daily
* Take 400 IU, 800 IU or 1600 IU of natural vitamin E daily
* Take 1 - 2 B vitamin supplements daily
* Take 25 000 IU of vitamin A daily
* Take a multimineral tablet daily
* Keep your intake of sugar low
* Eat what you like in moderation, but avoid sugar. Meat and eggs are good, and fruit and vegetables are good. Don't eat too much of any one food and don't eat so much that you become overweight.
* Drink plenty of water
* Keep active, but do not severely overexert yourself physically.
* Drink alcohol in moderation only
* DO NOT SMOKE CIGARETTES
* Avoid stress, work at a job you like, be happy with your family.

This is just such a great and simple list, I had to type it out for those who can't read/afford the book. (Note that Pauling comments that the amounts given for supplements are for healthy people, and that those suffering serious illness may need higher doses of some of these, including vitamin C to bowel tolerance.)

It's appalling that more than 20 years after this book was published, the same old scaremongering (ie. lying!) about the safety of vitamins and their effectiveness is still going on, and people are still being told vitamins are not safe, helpful or necessary and that all that is needed is a balanced diet. (A nice story, but one that isn't based on fact.) Sadly, the same old nonsense that Pauling describes, where vitamin studies are set up to fail by those who want to prove that vitamins don't work, is still happening; doses much smaller than would be effective are used, the time periods are too short to allow the vitamin to actually work, and so on.

Pauling had high hopes that all this was about to start changing and that soon vitamins would become far more accepted and used in mainstream medicine. To some extent that has happened, but for the most part little has really changed. It's quite depressing.

The first few chapters of the book are the best, they talk about this simple regimen and also about the dangers inherent in mainstream medicine and why any consult or procedure should be carefully evaluated, as they each carry significant risk. (Mainstream medicine practices being the 10th biggest killer in countries such as the USA!) The rest of the book talks in detail about what evidence we have to support the use of high dose vitamin C and E and niacin, and how negative reports on these vitamins have twisted the facts and are not motivated by science. Many different studies are quoted in a lot of detail, thus Pauling's arguments are very convincing.

Many other books provide more detailed overviews and practical advice about treating specific diseases and the role of many different vitamins and their dosage, toxicity such as `The vita-nutrient solution' and `Orthomolecular medicine for everyone' and so on. But this book is highly recommended for those who are very interested in this topic and would like to do some extra reading on top of these more basic texts, and to learn more about Linus Pauling and the history of mega-vitamin therapy advocacy and research.

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 17 May 2012
This review is from: How to Live Longer and Feel Better (Paperback)
I have had asthma and allergies all of my life and have used inhalers and antihistamines daily since the age of 17. Frequent colds, breathlessness and chest infections had just become a way of life.

I have always been interested in alternative medicines and have taken multivitamins and vitamin C (about 100g per day) religiously everyday which did decrease the chest infections (from once month to about 1 or 2 a year).

After reading this book I now take the vitamins Linus Paulings suggests plus some others I have read about for asthma and allergies. I started with 18g of vitamin C a day but am now down to 8g per day. After 2 weeks of taking the vitamins I weaned myself off my inhaler (which I needed to use twice a day), antihistamines (I took a 120g tablet prescribed tablet daily) and nasal spray (prescribed and used twice a day).

I have tried over the years to come off my medication trying vitamins (small doses), healthy eating and Chinese medicine/acupuncture with no results.

I am now medication free and have been since January 2012. I also used to suffer badly with headaches but they are much less frequent now and much milder too. I haven't had any colds, breathlessness or allergies since I stared with the vitamin C in January. If I ever forget my vitamins C I know about it as my throat starts to flare up but after taking it I am fine again.

To say I am over the moon is an understatement but when I try to tell other people they give you the usual answer (you can take too many you know, they are not good for you) so I offer the book but try not to preach. I just wish I had read this book years ago and I would not have had to go through all that misery for years.

I am much happier and healthier taking lots of vitamins twice a day than the inhalers, antihistamines and nasal sprays I used to keep my asthma, allergies under control.

Hope this helps someone else choose this book as I can't tell you how pleased I am that I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Advice, 6 Jan 2011
As self help books go this one is better than most, it's written in a clear way that conveys the message that vitamin supplementation, especially vitamin C, is beneficial for health. This advice coming from one of the giants of modern science is hard to ignore. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nobel Prize winner's winning advice, 1 July 2009
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How to Live Longer and Feel Better (Paperback)
Linus Pauling, best known as an advocate of the health value of mega doses of Vitamin C, and a two time Nobel Prize winner.

In a major cancer hospital in 1976, they carried out a study of terminal patients for whom conventional treatment was stopped. The control group of 1,000 who had no Vitamin C therapy all died by August 10, 1976. The test group of 100 patients who were treated with Ascorbate (Vitamin C) had eighteen people surviving by this date. The average survival time of those getting Vitamin C therapy was 4.2 times longer than the control group, on average living over 300 days longer. Some of this group continued to live indefinitely. You can probably imagine that people in a less dire state would show even better results.

Another study indicated that people with cancer tend to have lower amounts of Vitamin C. It is possible that the Vitamin C is depleted because it is being used by the body to fight disease, and therefore it might be reasonable concluded, according to Dr Pauling, that an ill person would need more of this supplement.

Dr Pauling himself took about 18g a day.

There are anecdotal stories in the book. One in particular of a man who took 10-12g a day for a 52mm liver cancer lesion. The cancer was stopped from progressing, and eventually much to the surprise of medical experts shrunk 32%. Dr Pauling recommended he up the dose to 25g daily, and he eventually on his own initiative went to 36 g. At the time he wrote to Dr Pauling he had survived two years.

One of the key issues we face as we grow older is disease of our connective tissue, and inflammation. This is manifested through conditions such as arthritis. I remember reading somewhere that about 80% of people age 60 have some form of arthritis. Vitamin C is an excellent anti inflammatory, and also great for allergies and colds.

If you are interested in learning more about health and longevity, I recommend reading this book.

I hope you find this review helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind, 4 Jun 1999
By A Customer
It is one of the best books I have read to contribute for anyone's health. L.Pauling's recommendations should be tried by anyone who has trouble with having colds and breathing problems. The book has so much information about vitamins that it's been very important for my own education about doctors and medicine.

5.0 out of 5 stars The book of books on natural medicine!, 3 May 2011
Anyone starting to get an interest in natural medicine should read this book before any other, the same goes for skeptics. Linus Pauling was a personality greater than life, so if you are one of those people who often don't know who to believe (I think we all go through that phase nowadays), then you will read this book with trust in your heart because of who he was, one of the greatest scientists of all times, the only person who ever won the Nobel Prize twice, on his own and in two different categories. And.... he lived to be 93 so his theories seem to have worked (not that I always think that people who believe in some kind of treatment should have it work for them to prove it).

Pauling talks about a problem which is about to get far worse, the fact that the RDA for most of the vitamins and minerals are far too low. What would he have thought if he knew that now, in 2011, most of them are going to be reviewed on the down..... And this is not without consequences, the first one being that the supplements people take do nothing at all, second one the fact that knowing that, people might start taking more than the recommended dose not aware that they might be taking too much of other components in the supplement. Wouldn't it be far better to tell people the right amounts to take?

This book is mainly about the use of Vitamin C to help a lot of ailments like the common cold, heart problems, mental problems, illnesses of the eye, ear and mouth, cancer, allergies and many more. But he also talks about the toxicity of vitamins, compares vitamins and drugs and talks about their side effects. There is also reference to other vitamins and minerals. All in all a very balanced book. Right at the beginning there are a few repetitions but that can be forgiven as this is a really very important book. His writing style is pleasant although a bit technical in some sections (you have to take into account that it won't have been easy to come down to our level). There are a few things that puzzled me but then what would Linus Pauling write today if he had been alive? My version of the book dates from 1986 so some things were maybe viewed differently back then. He seemed to find corn syrup an acceptable sweetener, something I think is not really considered good anymore, he talks about lowering the cholesterol and cholesterol causing heart disease, something we know now is not that straight forward.

Linus Pauling was also a very interesting personality and I believe that it is not only important to read about his findings but also about him as a person.

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening, 19 Jan 2012
This review is from: How to Live Longer and Feel Better (Paperback)
Writing this belatedly,but this means I`ve been able to assess it in real life.It was the first `alternative` book on health/medecine/etc and ,looking back, was the ideal guide for this.I advocate most of his ideas and have put several into practice,eg Vit C in high doses.In retrospect,when looking at the book again,I have 3 main feelings:
1)How great it is that such people exist who are prepared to stand up and challenge `standard` medical treatments and protocols.Truly they are heroes in my opinion.
2)There must be more treatments and even cures available using `simple` minerals/vitamins that are suppressed or pushed out by mainstream medicine/Big Pharma ; and
3)How health is a mega business but not `health` as in cure` but as in `treatment`,ie contribution to ever rising sustainable profits.
Buy the book-it looks harder than it is - and see and practice what this great man said

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, 27 July 2009
Kushal (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Live Longer and Feel Better (Paperback)
The King. Contains information still not acknowledged by the medical community due to the fact that Vitamin C cannot be privatised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Jun 2013
This review is from: How to Live Longer and Feel Better (Paperback)
Even if you don't want to read about nutrients, its such a pleasure to read a book by someone so knowledgeable and intelligent. It's true that the real geniuses make it look easy. I really enjoyed this book and there is so much in it that I am sure I will many times in the future.

ARRAY(0xb0835dec)

How to Live Longer and Feel Better
How to Live Longer and Feel Better by Linus Pauling (Paperback - 15 May 2006)
14.23