5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK******
Published on 6 Mar 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Overated much ?
Published on 19 July 2010 by Remzz

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT BOOK******, 6 Mar 1999
This review is from: Dopefiend (Paperback)
Dopefiend, was a excellent book, Its so addictive, you are truly living the scene, this book was sooooooo good...It's a "classic" Donald Goines puts you in "his world" the inner city life. It's written in the "raw" true to the game. You can't put it down. I thought this was the best one out of all of the other books written by Donald Goines

5.0 out of 5 stars Heironymous Bosch on Dope, 7 Feb 1999
This review is from: Dopefiend (Paperback)
A brilliantly written and pitiless look into the mind and behavior of the dopefiend. Not a social commentary and neither is it trolling for sympathy. This is as bad as the human condition can get without the characters being afflicted with a cruel and/or psychotic predisposition to begin with. Find your way past the first chapter and you will feel yourself plunging ahead, sucked along by the inevitability of a powerful monster force. It is a great narrative.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book'll stay glued to your hands from beginning to end., 27 July 1998
This review is from: Dopefiend (Paperback)
A friend told me to read this book one day. At first I was like "I ain't gonna read no book about dopefiends." He was like "I promise you'll read it in no more than 2 days." About 3 days later I picked it up and finished it that same day. The book was so realistic that I encourage others to read it too. Everyone loved the detail Mr. Goines put in the book, some parts were so graphic that I wouldn't recommend reading after eating, like the part where one character, who is about 9 months pregnant, is made to have sex with a dog just for some free dope. She ends up dropping the dope and ,feeling that her life is over decides to hang herself. When her friend comes by she discovers the dead body hanging with the head of the baby hanging from inside the dead mother's body. I have read 12 of Mr. Goines' books and have been impressed by each one, my goal is to read and own each and every one of them. There is a biography about his life also that I! plan to purchase. Hey everyone should read all of his books they are very intriguing, especially the Kenyatta series (Crime Partners, Death List, Kenyatta's Escape, and Kenyatta's Last Hit).

2.0 out of 5 stars Overated much ?, 19 July 2010
This review is from: Dopefiend (Mass Market Paperback)
After all the positive reviews and comments on the book Dopefiend, I decided to finally purchase it and see what all the hype was about. This is the 3rd book I have read from Donald Goines and to be honest I think this is the most boring book I have read from him (compared to Black Girl Lost and Never Die Alone). There were certain characters that were memorable such as Porky with his weird "fetishes" and Terry. The beginning of the book was probably the most interesting, however, after a couple of chapters it seems to drag on and just lack any entertainment or anything of interest. It took me about 2 weeks to finish reading this - if it wasn't for the fact that I had bought it, I would have stopped. The description at the beginning was so intense and disturbing that I had to put it down at first because I thought it would get worse as the story continued but it didn't. The story to me had a sandwich format, however it wasn't the "filling"/middle that made the story, it was the "top and bottom"/the beginning and ending. Personally I wouldn't recommend it and I would tell people "Don't believe the hype".

5.0 out of 5 stars Dopefiend, 6 Sep 2002
Mr. Clarence A. Mckenzie (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dopefiend (Mass Market Paperback)
To read this book, certain things are required. Such as: an open mind and a strong stomach! Out of all of Goines' novels, this is the most hard hitting and the the one that all people should read without delay.
...Goines vividly bought to life just how wretched the existence of a drug
addict is and how fast human dignity can be stripped away from a
person.
Goines has always been one of black america's most underrated
talents because of the brutal depiction of life in the ghetto,
and the total lack of optimism in his endings. But as most people
will tell you life does not usually have a happy ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good!, 23 Jan 1998
This review is from: Dopefiend (Paperback)
This was the very first Donald Goines book that I had read. I read this book in one day nonstop because it was so good that I couldn't put it down. In this book Goines get's to the bottom of the Ghetto dopefiends and what they would do just to get dope. And after they really don't have anymore veins left, how they would stick the dope into sore's just to get a hit, and things people will do just to get high. This book is great, I mean there's no other way to explain it, it would make you think twice before you might even think about trying dope.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC, 21 July 1998
This review is from: Dopefiend (Paperback)
This is the second book by Donald Goines and I have to say that after this I am hooked. It took me only one day to read this book. I just could not put it down. I think it was a brilliant piece of work with vivid (sometimes disturbing) images that show the torture of heroin addiction to the reader in detail. For anybody thinking of getting involved with heroin even minutely I would recommend this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
gritty

3.0 out of 5 stars Sure this is a great story. But too graphic, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dopefiend (Mass Market Paperback)
I just could not get passed the description of a lady injecting her groin with heroin. I'm sure this is a realistic take on addiction. however, I just cringed could not get into it. I'm sure if you get passed the horrific truth you could enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book, 30 April 2010
This review is from: Dopefiend (Mass Market Paperback)
This is a book that EVERYONE needs to read. Gripping from the first page to the last.

Dopefiend
Dopefiend by Donald Goines (Mass Market Paperback - 15 Feb 2007)
In stock on December 24, 2014