5.0 out of 5 stars 'A superb biography of Gichin Funakoshi'
This book is a super biography of today's master of Karate, Gichin Funakoshi. Even since his death in 1957 he has helped Karate to be exported throughout the world. It makes for a VERY interesting read. A must for those interested in not just the combat of Karate, but the Spiritual side of it too.
Published on 8 Dec 2001 by James

3.0 out of 5 stars The Study of Karate
Funakoshi writes about his life. And what it was like to learn karate in the times when it was hard to find a teacher. The book should be read by all karateka. There are two things I feel that are missing from this book. The focus on the Shuri district (there are three districts that are important to the development of Karate)and the fact that Funakoshi never likes to...
Published on 6 Oct 2007 by M. A. Ramos

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 'A superb biography of Gichin Funakoshi', 8 Dec 2001
James (London, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 3 Jan 2003
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
This book is a true must-have for any student of martial arts, not just shotokan karate. Within Master Funakoshi guides the reader throughout his life and shares stories and information about his experiences. Master Funakishi's way of writing is humbling and enlightening and a delight to read. It cannot be recommended highly enough and all martial arts students, whether beginner or black belt, should read this amazing life story of a remarkable man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karate-do: My Way of Life., 11 July 2005
MR.G.HOLTOM. (Leeds, West Yorkshire, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
I read this book and could not put it down.Its the great true life history of master GICHIN FUNAKOSHI and the things that happen to him within and out of his karate life,(funny avents),a great read and a must for all karate folk.

5.0 out of 5 stars A FANTASTIC READ, 10 Dec 2004
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
I was recommended this book by my Sensei and I am so glad I bought it. It is an amazing story about an amazing person who dedicated his life to Karate and without whom we - as students- may not be training in Karate today. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in martial arts and defy anyone not to be inspired and motivated by the book. Excellent reading, I couldn't put it down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Study & Learn From The Master of Karate, 7 May 2010
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
As a 5th dan practitioner of Shotokan Karate for nearly 40 years I have been aware of Gichin Funakoshi as it's founder the whole of my life. For many years I questioned the practical relevance of many of the techniques and kata I have been taught and in turn passed on to my own students. As a student I began to think that the aesthetic appearence of Karate seemed to be important to my seniors than its actual use as the self-defence system that it claimed to be. I was taught Karate kumite as a sport for scoring points with techniques of nearly no relevance to real confrontation and kata as almost a dance routine to look good to the eye and impress judges in an over riding and all important quest to gain a medal or trophy.
On studying closely Karate-do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi we learn that Karate has changed so much since its introduction to Japan, that if our great projanitors were to see it practiced today it would be unrecognisable to them as Karate. This superb book gives us a unique snapshot at the old masters: Sokon Matsumura, Itosu and Azato. These truly hard man practised karate as a close quarter combat system designed specifically to protect their king. Kata was not a meaningless succession of movements for physical exercise or performance but rather each kata was a recording of a complete and utterly devastating fighting system. Moreover we discover that Gichin Funakoshi was adamantly against the stylisation of the art and was dismayed at his Karate being named Shotokan!
Karate Do My Way of Life is a superb book written by a genius of the art.Okay, it's not Orange Prize book award writing but we're Karateka and every karateka should read it and enjoy it.... NO! STUDY IT AND LEARN from it for what it is. It gives us all the clues on how we should be teaching this life-changing art and its not how the majority of schools do it today.

Overall a pleasant read but more importantly the key to how karate should be practiced is held within.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every Shotokan Karate-ka ought to be given this when they 1st join their club, 14 Feb 2007
Terry Tozer "TJSKA.com" (Reading & Bracknell, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
In his biographical masterpiece, Supreme Grand Master Gichin Funakoshi gives a very witty, intelligent & often funny account of his whole life, from his early days when he was forced to take up training for his poor health to when he was finally invited to Japan to give the first successful demonstration of his art - Shotokan Karate.

He was obviously a very clever man who really had a passion for his art. At an early age he developed a goal, a vision and a passion to learn all he could about karate from the then great masters of his time and present it to the world. He recounts several times in his life when he was confronted by would-be assailants and describes how he got out of the potentially lethal encounter, he does this in a very witty and often funny way.

Despite the book being very small and could be read by some perhaps in a day or so, it really is very interesting and worth reading several times, especially if you practice Karate. I think that it's the sort of book that should be given to new students on joining a Shotokan club.

It's just packed with gems of wisdom worth there weight in gold for successful living, even in today's manic society.

As in all the other positive reviews listed here already, Funakoshi's book is full of wisdom, inspiration and hope.

Do check out Clive Layton's "Training with Funakoshi" too, an excellent work from a different perspective not to mention Funakoshi's "The Twenty Guiding Principles of Karate".

Ought to be on every Shotokan karate-ka's bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars A most have!, 30 Nov 2002
R Eagles (Northamptonshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
If you study Shotokan Karate, this is definatly a must have. It would also be a good resource for any Karateka, as Master Funakoshi is the father of modern day Karate which consists of may styles that people all over the world now learn.
In it, Master Funakoshi recalls all the important elements of his life from how and why he began studying Karate, to how he ended up spreading Karate around the world, and making more then his wieldest dreams come true. This really is a must have book for any serious Karateka (Karate Student) to have. There are also a few very good lessons to be learnt from this book that will prove to help any Karateka in the ways of the Empty Hand, and life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the read, 1 Oct 2005
Gerard Joyce (West of Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
In my opinion, this is a great read for anyone, not just those who have or are still training in the martial arts, but for anybody. It is so easy to read and one has to be very impressed by the honesty shown.
I found the chapter entitled "One life - great losses" very touching, where he spoke about his wife's death. In the same chapter, section entitled "every day", he gave a detailed description of his healthy life style. So much information in this section alone. Great man, with great enthusiasm and plans for the further development of Karate-do.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting for the KarateKa, 27 Feb 2003
D. A. Price - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this on the level that it is an interesting autobiography of an incredible man, as well as enjoying it as a study towards an eventual black belt in Shotokan. I believe that I learned a good deal from this book, and therefore from the man. The reader should remind themself that he was born at a difficult time in Japanese history and would have been 23 when Queen Victoria died; imagine what values your own great grandfather might have had and you will understand more. A great man who achieved much in a difficult time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Karate books I've ever read!, 7 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Karate-do: My Way of Life (Paperback)
This book is very insightful and gives the reader a lot to think about. It reads very easily, and any martial artist would be able to relate to it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Karate-do: My Way of Life
Karate-do: My Way of Life by Gichin Funakoshi (Paperback - 1 July 1981)
Used & New from: £0.01