5.0 out of 5 stars A condensed version of "Underground History"
Published on 7 April 2009 by Mr. D. P. Crossland

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading but....
This is definitely a book you should read (especially if you are from, or live in, the USA), but don't just let it roll you along. It is OK to think for yourself. The author definitely has an agenda and I suspect, but can't prove, that he is guilty of cherry picking his examples, and there are definitely times when I feel he has drifted away from reality, but that said,...
Published 18 months ago by Gordon Ramel

5.0 out of 5 stars A condensed version of "Underground History", 7 April 2009
Mr. D. P. Crossland "Dave Crossland" (Bournemouth, UK) - See all my reviews
I disagree with the other reviewer; this book has much of the historical references found in Gatto's previous book, "The Underground History of American Education," in a condensed version - that book is near 300,000 words I think. In that respect, it is more useful than Gatto's first book on schooling, "Dumbing Us Down," well over 15 years old now. All his books are excellent, and numerous websites contain many other essays and recordings of speeches he has made over his long retirement from school teaching. I loved this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gatto, 26 Aug 2010
N. R. Chance - See all my reviews
This was the first time I had read anything by this author and it will go down as one of those seminal moments in my life. We all have books we come across which challenge our views and ideas in a way we had not considered previously - and this was one of them.

I'm aware other reviews revere other works by Gatto, but this book for me was excellent. Clearly an intelligent man with a real passion for what he is writing about, his challenge to the dogmatic, bland and conformist stance of education is loud and impressive.

Essential reading if you're involved in education in any way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Into Your Head, 6 July 2011
John Taylor Gatto has written a book that would seep readily into any educated person's head. It questions formal schooling while reminding the reader of what an education should look like. It challenges the reader to look back at their own schooling. I believe that I was quite lucky in having a liberal education but now feel locked-out of the labour market because I'm not wholly obedient. Who else feels the same way I do? Thank you Mr John Taylor Gatto. Keep fighting them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Weapons of Mass Instruction: A Schoolteacher's Journey Through the..., 21 Feb 2013
I. P. Cheneour "paul cheneour" (Dover UK) - See all my reviews
If you've ever thought that something was not quite right about your education that you experienced in your childhood, you should read this book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away once again by Taylor Gatto, 20 Mar 2012
This review is from: Weapons of Mass Instruction (Paperback)
Once again a fantastic read by John Taylor Gatto. He cuts right to the heart of the waste of time and damage done every day right across the world - the biggest social engineering project on the planet - school. Had I not already taken my children out of school I would have gone down there after reading this book and removed them promptly. I don't recommend this to teachers or anyone making a 'career' from the school system as you might wonder why you wasted so many years...give it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend it for all, 17 Jun 2013
E. Jenkins (UK) - See all my reviews
Recommend this book for everyone who has been to school themselves, considering school for their own children, or if you work in a school. Whilst the author is American, there are a good many parallels with UK schooling.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME !!!!!!!!, 24 Feb 2011
One of the best books I have read ever!!! Wonderfully written! Reveals so much about the dark sides of contemporary schooling. It challenges, inspires, gives you wings and makes you want to scream in the face of the system. Or worse, roll up your sleeves and defy it! A MUST READ for EVERYONE!

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 21 Nov 2013
K. Hakansson - See all my reviews
It is a very one-sided book, which always makes me suspicious. The author does seem to cherry-pick information to show how schooling is set up to dumb people down and make money for the big corporations. However, you don't have to agree with every word in a book in order to enjoy it and gain some insights from it, so I read the whole thing and now I am glad I did.

You don't often find people who question the very existence of schools, but especially now with the internet, when information is available to anyone for free, we should be constantly questioning whether compulsory schooling is a good idea.

Read it and take what you want from it. Then do further research to find different points of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing book, 12 Oct 2011
This review is from: Weapons of Mass Instruction (Paperback)
There aren't many books that you read and can honestly say that they will change your life, however this is one such book.

It is truly eye-opening. It's made me question much of my school and university-based education, and I regard myself as fortunate in that I studied electronic engineering - so the schooling I received did teach me some "real" ways of looking at the world.

John Taylor Gatto has made me realise though that learning through trial-and-error with a few pointers along the way, builds real self-confidence, the ability to manage your own life and make your own independent decisions.

The books that he recommends also provide real-insight into how some of the world's most accomplished individuals achieved what they did, e.g. Benjamin Franklin's autobiography (available for free on the Kindle).

I can't recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent read., 6 July 2014
This review is from: Weapons of Mass Instruction (Paperback)
Very interesting book. It will make you... . Yes, it will make you think about things that you maybe haven`t thought before. Is it possible that there is a different goal to achieve through schooling?

Weapons of Mass Instruction
Weapons of Mass Instruction by John Taylor Gatto (Paperback - 4 Jan 2010)
10.53