4.0 out of 5 stars Peak-oil predictions, 13 Jan. 2013
BP Worrall (Newcastle upon Tyne) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age (Paperback)
This book effectively describes the future after peak-oil. It doesn't include the additional effects of increased populations and higher aspirations for living standards in the third world, nor does it look at the alternatives to fossil fuels.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 29 Dec. 2012
We should all read and consider this idea, it seems the most likely outcome of our current situation I have ever come across!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gems on almost every page, 13 Feb. 2012
A. Kauppi (Finland) - See all my reviews
Wow, what a book.

I don't personally go as far in the "back to basics" approach that Mr Greer sees as the outcome of the crises, but his analysis of the past, and the present (which at the point of writing in 2008 was not there yet - a lot has changed!) is so accurate, I can't but be amazed. If a person who's not watching TV (I presume) has this much sharpness of focus and a splendid, nice way of putting it on text, offending us only slightly but loving even more, we should all get rid of our tv's!

Seriously, though. I think this is the best map so far on the 21st century. Read it. Disagree, work against it, but read it.

I'm placing the front page of my startup having a short review of this book. Never done that. It's *that* good. I salute you, Mr. Greer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Oct. 2014
Greer is the best nonfiction author around energy descent, bar none.

Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age
Long Descent: A User's Guide to the End of the Industrial Age by John Michael Greer (Paperback - 9 Jan. 2008)