on 12 May 2004
have used this book recently with a 12 year old undergoing anger management who was regularly losing his temper, on average every 2-3 days.
In 2 sessions, which have included selected exercises from this book, he has gone from swearing, hitting, throwing furniture etc to realising when to leave potentially volatile situations! In the last 3 weeks there have been only 2 'anger' episodes - and both times he walked away!
This, I feel, is a real testament to this book's worth!
The exercises are simple and easily photocopiable and/or adaptable for each individual. Some exercises are intended for group work but most are readily adaptable for individual coaching if, like myself, this is how you choose to work.
0Comment|306 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 January 2009
I have used this book as a teacher doing PSD in class. It has been brilliant helping children face up to and deal with anger. I am now about to purchase it to use with my own son who experiences a lot a fustration due to having aspergers.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2007
This is a great book, nice print and easy to read. I was desperate to help my son who gets angry and frustrated quite alot. He is autistic and has speech and language problems and it was distressing to see him so angry. This book has helped alot.
0Comment|100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 1999
This is a good book to use with children to help them learn about anger management. I use it to run groups with children. Highly recommend
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 October 2009
My son has Aspergers. This book was too complicated and did not really help at all. My son did not want to work through any of the exercises and it was just too complicated. We did buy The Red Beast - now that was brilliant!
on 2 April 2011
To give a bit of context I'm a Clinical Psychologist. I have 2 small children aged 7 and 5. Neither of them has anger "problems" but, like all humans, they get angry from time to time. I don't make a major issue out of feelings but I like to help my children understand what they're experiencing - it validates them and gives them more chance to express their feelings in helpful rather than destructive ways. There are several emotional books I have at home that are colourful and build narratives around sets of feelings that little children can identify with (It's Not Fair (Your Feelings)I Feel Sad (Your Emotions)). As this book specifically states it is a resource for parents I thought I'd be getting something along those lines again.

Goodness me I can't imagine why they would advertise this as a resource for parents. If you have a seriously angry child I cannot see how they are going to tolerate sitting down with you and reading the dull, patronising vignettes and do school-type "exercises" with you. I can barely imagine professional therapists wading through this.

Another gripe is that this seems to be written for children at the end of junior school or early on in high school. The title of "a volcano in my tummy", along with the basic drawing to me hinted at a younger age group which is why I bought it.

Overall I felt that this was misadvertised and I am heartily disappointed with it - I will not be using it with my children.
22 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2010
I have been working with a very angry 8 yo boy and this book was brilliant in forming the work. The volcano theme worked well for him and the fact that it stresses that its ok to be angry was hugely realistic.
on 26 March 2016
I didn't read any of it to my stroppy, slightly thuggish youngster, even though he loved volcanoes at the time, nor did I give him any of the exercises to do, but I read it, I took it all in and naturally filtered it's teachings through to him in my own way and sure enough (years later) he is now a gentle, calm and balanced teenager, he never gets angry or physical, as his intelligence and humour get him through everything, I guess that is proof of something!!! Amazing to think back to how much I used to worry!
on 6 June 2010
Some good ideas to use with children that have difficulties with controlling their anger- again some of the activities need to be adjusted for children of infant school age.
on 2 February 2009
This book is an excellent aid for Counsellors,Teachers and others involved with managing anger in children.

There are interactive stories, worksheets, e.g. Bottling up anger - which has an illustration of a bottle with items inside to colour and write who or what children may be angry about. There are also wordsearches for older children. A whole variety of interesting, interactive ways to engage and help children to understand and work on their anger.

I have used this book extensively since purchasing it, with individuals as a School Counsellor, and also with small groups of children.

It has been extremely useful in generating discussion amongst children and is a simple and effective way to engage them in addressing their anger issues.