Format: Paperback|Change

This is a great book, covers most aspects of flexibility for kicking. It has in depth information on the science of the muscles and of the martial art benefits of each exercise. The stretching warm ups and exercises are very very good, and very effective. If you warm up before attempting the exercises (short jog, aerobic etc.) Also put good emphasis on the hip exercises and you'll find your stretching is much better. Don't try too hard though, I've had sore hamstrings sometimes through pushing too hard with some of the exercises. The Balance exercises are also very good, some of the best I've seen. Excellent book, I recommend it to anyone who wants to become more supple or a better kicker
on 25 April 2001
In my opinnion this is a great book for those who want to get high whip snappy kicking combinations. It explains a lot of the science behind the muscle structure which also tell you why some methods work and why some dont. It then takes you through a warm up of the joints and muscles. It then takes you through some upper body exercises to stretch and strengthen the upper body and then moving on to a lot more lowwer body exercises to strech and strengthen. It also contains balance and footwork exercises. Finally it takes you through Bill Wallace's style of kicking which is very detailed. The thing I like about this book is that it is well illustrated and by each stretch it give both a physical benifit which tells you which muscle you are stretching and it also gives you a martial arts benifit which tells you what techniques it will help you with. By each stretch it also gives you pointers which tell you how to increase your stretch a how to keep away from any dangers or chances of injury. This book is not an all round book for martial arts training it is mainly focused on stretching and kicking. The best book I think the best for all round martial arts training is "Training and Fighting Skills" by world champion Benny"The Jet" Urquidez and I consider it a bible for all martial artists. Another good book for stretching is Jean Frenette's "Complete Guide to Stretching" but I personally think that this book is better by 1 star.
on 28 April 2000
This is not the greatest book on stretching or kicking techniques ever written but I,ve read worse. The first thing you notice when you start to study this book is how well it details the mechanics of muscle movement, explaining quite clearly why your muscles react the way they do. So it comes as a bit of a shock when this knowlege seems to have only been used to fill in some introductory pages, as it hardly gets mentioned again. On the plus side the exercises are illustrated well enough but lack a good explination of how to properly execute the technique or the duration it should be held for. Unfortunately many begginers may be initally discouraged to see Mr Wallace perform the perfect box splits and high side kicks, and only the reasurance that dilligent practice and dedication will bring comparable results. Credit where it's due Bill Wallace is an excellent example to all martial artist's out there, and this book will give a reasonable insight in to what you should maybe cosider doing to help improve your technique but it does leave a few dissapointing holes in it's presentation. Fine if you know what your looking for, new students to a martial art should perhaps ask their instructor for advice first before researching this book.
on 12 January 2006
I had heard of the legendary Bill "Superfoot" Wallace and the kicks he could achieve, and so bought this book with excited expectation on the back of the Amazon reviews.
However, when I finally got hold of the book I was very diasppointed. It is very sparse and very basic, to say the least. The detail on muscle functions that the other reviewers commend is interesting, but ultimately not that significant when, like me, you are simply looking for some truly innovative stretching techniques in order to eventually achieve the wonderfully high kick Wallace is pulling off on the cover. Unless you are a physiologist or are interested in such detail, these descriptions seem to be just padding.
The book is very well illustrated, though, but this is let down by the very sparse descriptions covering the manoeuvre. Contrary to a previous review, I found Wallace's super-flexibility an encouragement, often saying to myself "I want to kick like that!" - however, Wallace neglects the processes involved in getting to that stage of flexibility, beyond "take it slowly". My favourite example of this was for "Leg Stretch #2":
1. Stand erect with right side facing the wall. Your partner holds your left leg.
2. Your partner begins pushing up on your leg
3. Relax as your partner continues the pressure
4. Eventually your foot should touch the wall
That's about as exciting as the descriptions get I'm afraid.
But what disappointed me most was that the exercises that are most effective must be done with a partner. Of course this is very necessary, but not what I was looking for I'm afraid. Also, about half the book is taken up with very very simple warm-up and stretching exercises that you will be doing in your martial art school anyway, and seem to be here just for padding or the sake of completion, but for me seemed to be wasting space.
Looking back over my review I find that I have been a bit too critical - Wallace's book is indeed very good for those wanting to attain super-flexibility, or for those wanting a thorough record of every trivial stretch - but for amateur enthusiasts like me who are looking to simply *build up* my flexibility from a partially-flexible starting point, this book wasn't right for me: the basics are too basic and the advanced are too advanced (and need a partner). I have found L. Christensen's excellent book "Solo Training" perfect for this purpose.
In all it's best to try and get your hands on someone else's copy before you buy to see if this book is for you.
I won't go into too much detail as the other reviewer form Ireland has hit the nail on the head. It is a good book in so much as it gives you exercises to think about and try but it often lacks finer detail and the process involved (and the pain!).

Good tool to get you thinking about things but it's nothing you can't get form a bit of research on the net these days! Any good class/club will be able and should be going through proper stretching, just stick with it and continue to push yourself!
on 6 November 2007
Throughout my 20+ years practice in martial arts never have I come across a book that, through following the advice contained within its pages, have I made such astounding progress in my physical development. I was already quite flexible when I first read this book; reading it made me more flexible. After a couple of months of practising the drills Bill Wallace prescribes, I could easily perform the kick he demonstrates on the cover. If you want to be the best kicker you must learn from the best kicker; that is why you should buy this book. Wallace does not make false promises - not once does he use false flattery to convince you that gaining the results he shows are easy. Far from it; Wallace cautions all readers that achieving a high level of flexibility and kicking skill takes time and lots of practice. If you are ready to invest the time to develop ability such as Mr. Wallace, then you should invest the price of the book. You will not be disappointed.
on 7 February 2012
Martial Art books from this era, the good ole' days of Fullcontact etc, are always very similar. Parts hype of the "Legend" that wrote it, parts instruction of techniques. Bill Wallace was a great champion and his stretching and kicking abilities spectacular, but today nothing as special as they tried out to make it be. If you really like Superfoot, this is a good book, but there are better ones out there.
on 14 July 2016
OK reading with loads of pictures
on 12 February 2008
really good book, displays different exercises and explains how this benefits martial arts, GOOD BUY!