5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any final year student!
Published on 3 Mar. 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book for surgery
I inititally bought this book after being bollocked by a consultant for not knowing any surgery. This book improved my knowledge but didnt quite explain everything I wanted to know or would be asked by doctors in the hospital. I also didnt like the format of the book. I have therefore only given this book 3 stars. A better surgical book is available and is much better...
Published on 8 Dec. 2006 by Mr. H. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for any final year student!, 3 Mar. 2006
By A Customer
I'm studying for finals at the moment and recently bought this book - possibly one of the best purchases in the last 5 years! All the main topics of general surgery are included, along with concise, informative chapters on vascular surgery, physiology, neurosurgery, breast, urology etc. All the information is pitched at an undergraduate or junior doc level so there is no space wasted on the non-essential. Plus a mini-biography of every surgeon ever to put his or her name to something is included, to make you feel extra-intelligent.
Awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ONLY surgery book you need as a med student, 6 Dec. 2006
I love this book. I genuinely love this book. I read the 10th edition before my first surgery placement, just after starting the clinical years, and learned so much from it. Having now got hold of the 11th edition, I am pleased to see a more clean and spacious layout along with appropriate updates. You can read it cover to cover and it gives a good overview whilst also providing enough detail to impress your consultant. I used it as a reference whilst on my senior surgery firm and found it didn't disappoint. There weren't many occasions where I had to look elsewhere for extra information. I re-read it again before written finals and it did the job. I heartily recommend reading this book cover to cover at least twice.

5.0 out of 5 stars fast, efficient review of the main surgical topics., 26 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Lecture Notes on General Surgery (Paperback)
This excellent book serves as a fast, efficient review of the main surgical topics. Especially helpful for exams when you don' t have much time. Also gives differential diagnosis. If you want to become a surgeon, you will certainly have to go for the bigger textbooks. It will be enough,though, for your finals/USMLE step2.

5.0 out of 5 stars The core text for undergraduate surgery, 10 Dec. 2006
Dr. C. Sharp "Medic" (London) - See all my reviews
This is the best surgical textbook I've come across. It is the only book I would recommend you buy in embarking on undergraduate study of surgery and am informed by surgeons that it gets you most of the way through MRCS as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Essential!!!, 20 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Lecture Notes on General Surgery (Paperback)
A great book. All that one needs to know for finals is contained in this little life-saver. A very easy read, with great diagrams and tables. I highly recommend it to all students who need to get to grip with the essential facts before finals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Starting Point and Review Book, 10 Mar. 2007
I used this when I didn't know anything about surgical topics and found it quite helpful to get me started. Later on I used it to revise and found it at a good level to refresh the concepts involved. For more detail a larger book will probably be needed, this is definitely worth using at any stage of study.

4.0 out of 5 stars General Surgery (lecture notes) - a very useful book., 25 Mar. 2008
Having been highly recommended by 5th years as well as F1 doctors, I knew that Lecture Notes in General Surgery was a book worth investing in. The more simple "revision style" of book seems to be becoming increasingly popular among medical students such as myself and much preferred to the larger more detailed text books. It's short concise chapters talk about all the essential surgical procedures that you have to know about for your examinations in 3rd year and is also much used by 5th years. This book should be your first port of call to get a good understanding of surgery before consulting a more detailed textbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 Sept. 2007
I love this book. It is concise, detailed and up to date. While it might not cover everything, it is beautifully written and easy to read. Coupled with Surgical Talk (which is also great but full of typos) the busy finalist will be well prepared for exam time. One aspect I found especially helpful was the footnotes naming the people behind eponymous syndromes - by understanding who they were, it helps me to remember more about "their" condition. I suggest you check this book out at your uni library before buying to make sure it's for you. Mine is now full of anotations, and I keep referring back to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 30 Jun. 2006
This book was recommended to me at a revision course, and i was told that this contained all i needed to know about surgery for finals.... and it does! this book covers all the main surgical topics, and everything is explained at just the right level. Obviously you need a bigger textbook if you want to know everything (or want pictures!) but for last minute panic revision this is brill! its also small enough to carry around on the wards. A absolute essential for all medical students.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate concise surgery book. FANTASTIC!, 20 Aug. 2010
I had 3 weeks before my 5th yr final surgery exam. I came upon this book and just read it cover to cover - It's amazing, all the information minus the waffle. It's exactly what you need to know if you're going in for an exam. Everything is very simple to understand.
A problem with most books is that some of the authors want to put a lot in about THEIR own sub speciality which is just not relevant (e.g 100 pgs of immuno in a 1000 page int.med book!?!)
This one avoids that trap and really puts things down into easily gulped chunks so that everything sticks.
It's so concise e.g i think liver is about 4 pages. breast is a lot more (20ish). There's no orthopaedics though..
10 pages on bones would have been a good idea.. (Authors.. put it in plz!)

It's no surgeons manual. It's a book for students and a brush up guide for all doctors. I recommend it thoroughly
(And I aced that surgery exam)

Lecture Notes on General Surgery
Lecture Notes on General Surgery by Christopher Watson (Paperback - 1 Jun. 1998)
Used & New from: £0.01