5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluble resource on selective mutism, 29 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Selective Mutism Resource Manual (A Speechmark practical sourcebook) (Spiral-bound)
I would recommend this book for anyone who has any experience with selective mutism. I worked with Maggie Johnson for a number of years as a teenager and the help she gave me has without doubt changed my life and given me the confidence to go from someone who couldn't even answer the register or talk to anyone outside of my immediate family to an outgoing, sociable 20-something with a fantastic career in the music industry. I am used as a case study throughout this manual and my experiences along with those of the other children included add a very real human element to the narrative. Every technique described in this book has been tried and tested, and as someone who has been helped by these methods I can't praise them highly enough. Maggie's expertise shines through throughout the book and for me it was a revelation to go from simply understanding what it was like to live with the condition to finally realising why I felt the way I did. For anyone who wants to gain more understanding of selective mutism or to understand how to help somebody with it, this book is by far the market leader. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells you everything you need to know, 5 Feb 2010
JoannaG (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
If you have a child with selective mutism, you need to get this book, without a doubt. I hesitated to spend so much money, but once I did get it I realised it tells you absolutely everything you need to know to really help your child make progress and get better from this distressing anxiety condition. Looked at in that light, it really isn't too much money.

It is a very comprehensive manual which can be used professionally by speech therapists and psychologists and has comprehensive sections about assessment as well as treatment, but it is certainly not full of jargon and is easily accessible to a parent to help put in place a programme of treatment for their child, whether or not a professional is involved as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on the market, 16 Nov 2009
Mr. L. Duffy (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This is undoubtedly the bible of selective mutism. I have purchased 5 copies over the years to give to various people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, 8 Aug 2010
This manual has been really helpfull with explanations, advice and pages which can be used as handouts. Selective mutism is complex and can present differently to contacts of subject and this can lead to misunderstanding and conflict of professionals dealing with the child/student. This manual covered this very well and has enabled me to bring all those working with the student/child together in one working model. Excellent I would recommend to everyone dealing with the condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars selective mutism, 5 April 2010
Mrs. S. Jones - See all my reviews
I have a son with selective mutism so I purchased this book to give to his new school as they have no idea what to do with him. I read it first and found it to be very good lets hope it helps school.Maggie jhohnson is an inspiration I wish there were more of her around the country. The best book ive bought in years very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars very useful, 31 July 2010
This book is a very useful resource manual. It helped me to plan my therapy and has some handouts for the adults and school containing the most important information for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars SD, 4 Feb 2013
Very good and useful book.. Very good for language therapists and all other professionals working with children population! I also find it really detailed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource book., 3 Jun 2014
T Swift "Micaro" (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly usefull - will stay on my bookshelf for many years to come. This book has also helped me with my therapy work to produce some useful interventions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource which arrived quickly and in great condition., 1 April 2014
A very useful and easy-to-access resource containing factsheets to share and a range of activities to do.
Suitable for a range of ages and useful for anywone working with a selectively mute child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Written by people who understand:, 22 Dec 2013
This is a practical and helpful book. We are using it with a child who has selective mutism in school

The Selective Mutism Resource Manual (A Speechmark practical sourcebook)
The Selective Mutism Resource Manual (A Speechmark practical sourcebook) by Alison Wintgens (Spiral-bound - 21 Jun 2001)