4.0 out of 5 stars a solid base of knowledge for Cognitive Psychology
This book, aimed at the undergraduate combines a good amount of depth with enough coverage of the material required for a course in Cognitive psychology. it covers all essential areas such as Memory, Perception, Language and Attention as well as having good summeries and having an easy to read text.
Published on 28 Sep 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Cognitive Psychology A Student's Handbook
This book covers all major areas within cognitive psychology, which was very useful for my course, but it is a very dry and boring read! Some chapters are rather hard to grasp. I found, it gave enough detail and information about most topics, and once I got used to the way it was written, I found it useful but not the best reference for my studies.
Published on 11 Sep 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars a solid base of knowledge for Cognitive Psychology, 28 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook, 4th Edition (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cognitive Psychology, 29 Mar 2003
Alexandra Hamourikou (MOURNIES, HANIA Greece) - See all my reviews
I was reluctant to order the book at first as my knowledge on this field is basic and I thought it might not offer practical information easily comprehensible to a nonspecialist. However, I found a lot of information about perception and memory which I think can cast some light on the different ways students understand and recall language. I particularly enjoyed chapter 12 which referred to language comprehension and dealed with the ways in which information is processed explaining terms such as 'parsing' and 'pragmatics' which enabled me see my students' comprehension problems at reading and listening from a different point of view.
Apart from that, there was some information about the abilities of chess masters and other experts which I enjoyed reading. Generally, I think the book is a source of knowledge for anyone who is interested in mental processes and in the way they affect our abilities and skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent easy to read informative text, 1 Mar 2002
By A Customer
I am a student and found this book a must for studying cognitive psychology. This was the first time I had studied this area and found the book extremely well written. It is easy to read with good summaries. Eysenck has certainly done himself proud with this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, informative, up-to-date and very interesting, 5 Jan 2002
This is a must for any OU student studying D309, but it also compliments perfectly both the foundation and child development courses. Eysenck has definitely mastered this field of psychology! The style and presentation of what is undoubtly a complex subject means you can "dip in" to any area of any chapter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cognitive Psychology A Student's Handbook, 11 Sep 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Cognitive Psychology At its most informative, 1 Feb 2005
When I first acquired this book I was a first year psychology student and I found that each page I seemed to read went way over my head. However the more I studied psychology the more understandable and informative this book became. Although at times you do feel overwhelmed and utterly bewildered, for any student of psychology in this day and age this should be an essential requirement. It is up to date with probably one of the most advanced perspectives in psychology today.

4.0 out of 5 stars I passed...so it must work, 11 Aug 2005
Steven (Ryton, Tyne & Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Grabbed this text to help with those more 'fun' parts of the psychology second year course. the parts with words like 'mental lexicon' and 'dialectical interplay'. This book will have all you'd need to get yourself a first in there, though to actually do that you have to be very clever of course. (I didn't...damn 2:1's). Most of the book isn't too challenging to read, but the previous reviews do find this. i think they may be mostly refereing to the chapter on deductive reasoning in particular. but my challenge to this is of course thats a hard chapter, deductive reasoning is a very complex process. There may be clearer texts out there, but none so comprehensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 14 Feb 2014
This book is an essential must have for any sports book case, absolutely brilliant book, well worth the read definitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing book that you cant put down!, 7 Aug 2013
C. Lloyd (Bristol UK) - See all my reviews
So far this is the most absorbing work on the subject I have seen.Tons of fascinating info,clear diagrams and a great writing style makes this a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good one To Read, 27 May 2013
I have no where near read all of this book yet but it is one of my Psychology good one's & i am finding it very much as one you can't put down. Yvonne G Bebbington

Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook, 4th Edition
Cognitive Psychology: A Student's Handbook, 4th Edition by Michael W. Eysenck (Paperback - 10 Aug 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01