5.0 out of 5 stars Unforgettable
This is not an easy read. Its vulgar and lurid and many times even disgusting. It is also completely fascinating. It feels real. Bukowski is brutally honest about his character and alter-ego, Henry Chinaski. This is not a man you root for. Chinaski is deeply flawed, a deviant with no redeeming quality or the slightest inclination for redemption. Bukowski is never...
Published 23 months ago by Joao Cardeira Jorge

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Buko but a bit... boring
I popped my Bukowski cherry with Post Office and was enthralled, and my enchantment lasted through Ham on Rye, his short story collections, Pulp and some poetry collections. Most recently I read the excellent biography Charles Bukowski: Locked in the Arms of a Crazy Life. It's not like I am unfamiliar with the themes and style of Mr B is what I'm saying. But Women really...
Published on 26 Sept. 2007 by S. J. Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
Charles Bukowski lived it. This is a great book. Honest and raw as all great art should be. There aren't many characters left like this anymore unfortunately. Well, I can think of a few around my way but that would be telling... ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great condition, prompt delivery and quite a humorous story, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
Bukowski has a great take on life, love, alcohol and women that he embraces with an easy and, at times, not so easy acceptance of its trials and tribulations. He treats his subject matter with humour and Taoist grace.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love this dirty old man., 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
I love Bukowski and I love his prose but WOMEN is a tough book to love, not because of his treatment of the fairer sex I've read worse but because of the repetition. Unlike FACTOTUM or HAM ON RYE for example there wasn't anything that will drag you back to this 304 pager other than your love of him. He's a fantastic writer, a real one of a kind but WOMEN isn't the finest example of his greatness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Fast Delivery, Good price!, 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
Very fast delivery, great price and a good read. Bukowski doesnt seem to stop amazing me, and so far, neither does the supplier. Keep it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading course prescribed book, 8 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
Had to read it for my further education course, part of the genre required, Interesting book with ineresting concepts covered

3.0 out of 5 stars Not For All Tastes, 30 April 2003
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
I have to say that I enjoyed this book. The initial shock value was soon replaced by a feeling of pity towards the main character which only deepens when you realise he is in fact a self autobigraphical figure based on the author. This sometimes makes it painful to read as you can clearly see the dark cloud that is present throughout the title.
If this book taught me anything at all it is that a story does not need a beginning or end or even a hero and villian which is something lost on most authors. Here we have the story of a troubled man who is struggling to cope with life and love and his dependency on alcohol. That's about it. There is no redemption or character development so to speak and the female characters are all portrayed as weak or crazy!
Be warned though... this book is not for everyone due to both the content and the writing style. Also it seems as though the book drags towards the end due to repetition and the shallow nature of the lead.
In summary I give this book 3 stars. I enjoyed the read but tired somewhat of the style and content towards the end.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not for everyone, 23 April 2015
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
Bit of a push to keep reading it as I did find it rather repetitive but an interesting insight into Bukowski.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't have the heart to give it three stars, 31 May 2008
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
I know Bukowski fans are going to be upset with me, but I couldn't warm to this book, the same way I couldn't warm to TROPIC OF CANCER. It was just too raw and "down" for my taste. Still, I read it from cover to cover.

Bukowski's style is certainly unique and I have to admit I was drawn in, but some of the terms and descriptions were too much for me. Perhaps I was expecting more a "Hunter Thompson" type of book, with an edge but also some dash of flippancy. True, there is humour in WOMEN, but it was just a bit too edgy for my taste---and I've read NAKED LUNCH!

What I find infinitely more fascinating than Bukowski's books, is the man himself, though I realize you can't really separate the two of them. The man seems to actually have more of a following in the UK than in his own country, and I find this fascinating. If anyone can recommend a bio, please do. Again, I realize a lot of his work (okay, all of it) is terribly autobiographical, but I'd like to read the full-out other person's point of view on the man.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charles Bukowski, 22 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
Charles Bukowski is just great, you either hate him or love him....great book if you loved 'Ham on rye' you'll love this one too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 11 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Women (Paperback)
Good, easy read. Not for the prude. But contains some touching moments.

Women
Women by Charles Bukowski (Paperback - 25 Mar. 1993)
Used & New from: £0.01