5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 21 May 2009
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
I saw this book on sale at the Imperial War Museum and decided this was a must have. I would love to find out what happened to many of the people shown, especially the old sword swallower living in a rock den in Wales and the twin boy boxers who grew up in a Barnardos home. Beautiful pictures - some painful - but a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Britain: A Photographic History, 14 Jun 2010
N. Gerald (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
I am very pleased that I purchased this book. A very interesting historical read narrated from a Black perspective as well as plenty of pictures of Black people in the UK as far back as the 1800's right up to the wii generation. As soon as it arrived I could not put it down and my teenaged daughter loved looking at the pictures too, although she didnt get a long look as I was hogging it to myself most of the time, but as an avid reader, I know she will enjoy it after ive finished. Funnily enough we came across pictures of people we knew, my teen daughters god-mother and siblings among others!!! This book will sit proudly on my coffee table and is a book to keep and pass down to future generations of Black British born children whom are mostly taught in school mainly English historical facts. Not a book to loan out though - you might not get it back! A highly recommended and necessary purchase, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 4 Jan 2010
Ms Behavin "Ms B" (SW London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
I got this as a gift for my dad for Xmas and wish I got a copy for myself! He really loved it and said it would join his other 'coffee table' books. This pictures are beautiful, especially the one of a prince in Benin in 1864 dressed in all his finery. What's really good is that it starts from the 1800s and comes right upto the current day so it's nice to see the changes, all the while there are many things that didn't change. A very good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Britain Feedback, 25 Nov 2007
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
I thought this book was informative and the pictures in the book were a reflection of what was written. It is exactly what the title say - a photographic history. It is a book I will keep for a long time and something that I can show my children.

I shall be purchasing another copy for my parents who will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Britain - A photographic history, 1 Nov 2009
M. Hearne (Herefordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
This book 'does what it says on the tin' - beautiful photography, compelling images, historical information and context and a visual feast.
Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Jan 2010
D. Robinson "Dee" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
I got this book for Christmas and love it. The pictures really depict so many stories my parents and other family members have told me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and beautifully presented!, 7 Jan 2010
Ms. S. P. Lewis "Seriously Books" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
I bought this book as part of a Christmas present for my mother and whenever we have visitors one of the first things they do is pick up this book. The commentary is helpful but the pictures are stunning and well presented. Everyone should own a copy of this book, not to dwell on the past but to remind us of the rocky path the UK has taken, with regards to race relations, to the place it is today. I'm now going to buy a copy for myself. Cannot fault this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have!, 13 Dec 2008
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
This book is superb. It chronicles the 'arrival' and 'settlement' of black people in Britain from the earliest settlers to the mass immigration heralded by the arrival of the Empire Windrush at Tilbury docks in 1948. It then moves on to how these settlers became part of the fabric of British society overcoming many obstacles to achieve a tacit acceptance. As well as displaying superb photographs, which many people will not have had opportunity to see before, it contains thoughtful commentaries. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it lives on my coffee table! I intend to buy further copies for my family and friends whom I know will enjoy it just as much as I.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great look, 17 Sep 2011
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
I have fully enjoyed this photographic book, and would recommend it to ALL. It's well put together, with great reading to go with the pictures. This book speaks for now in some aspects as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Black Britain, 13 July 2010
This review is from: Black Britain: A Photographic History (Paperback)
This book is a must have for your library its filled with great photographs I highly recommend this to any body.

Black Britain: A Photographic History
Black Britain: A Photographic History by Stuart Hall (Paperback - 17 Sep 2007)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available