4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better
There aren't many parallel text Arabic-English books around, so if you are a serious student of Arabic this is probably a must buy.

However, it could be a lot better. For a start, I didn't like the stories very much. I found them all very dark and disturbing. A book with much nicer stories (but not in parallel text) is (...)

Secondly, I found the...
Published on 5 Feb 2011 by Andrew

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical problems
Published 15 months ago by Helen Robertson

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better, 5 Feb 2011
Andrew (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader (Paperback)

Secondly, I found the translations, although they gave the meaning very well, too far removed from the Arabic to help me learn the language. Neither were the translations in particularly eloquent English.

Lastly, there are no vowels in the Arabic, except in the notes. It would be much more useful for students if the unguessable vowels [e.g on from I verbs] were written in.

So, recommended, but expect to do a lot of dictionary work to get the most out of this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Practical problems, 29 April 2013
Helen Robertson "Helen R" (Ellon, UK) - See all my reviews
I chose this rating because I wanted to write the review, but I can't really come down on one side or the other. The reason is purely practical. I am learning Arabic and when I saw "bilingual" reader I assumed it was a parallel reader, realising afterwards that flipping back and forth between successive pages could be a problem in the Kindle version. But worse, for my particular purpose as a relative beginner: the whole story is given first in English then in Arabic, so I am finding it practically impossible to read. I am very frustrated as the concept and the stories look so good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth having, 14 Dec 2010
I bought this to help me learn Arabic. I've found it very useful, the stories are not all exciting, but it is a good read and a great help to the student of the Arabic language, as well as giving an insight into Arabic culture.

2.0 out of 5 stars illegible Arabic script in Kindle format, 31 Aug 2013
I was very disappointed at the quality of the Arabic text which has been so badly scanned that it is illegible. Increasing the size of the text does not improve the situation; it only emphasises the impossibility of distinguishing the Arabic letters. The Arabic should have been presented in the same typeset format as the English has been.

5.0 out of 5 stars Modern Arabic Short Stories, 28 Dec 2010
This collection has the approval of every one of our Arabic students who has sampled it. It is a wonderful "bridge" between Arabic and English that enables Arabic beginner learners of English to absorb an amazing amount of new vocabulary because the stories are so familiar. Another wonderful English teaching/learning resource. Our teachers read the stories but make deliberate mistakes that the students have to listen for and correct.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am disappointed with kindle copy, 8 Nov 2013
The book was bilingual book which you read one page and the translation on the opposite page but kindle is the opposite . It is the worse 7.00 pound I ever spend on a book . I will never buy bilingual book from kindle .

5.0 out of 5 stars Present for my husband, 11 Jan 2010
mrs c j doran "Jim Taffy" (crowthorne, berkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a present for my husband and he says it is very good.

Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader
Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader by Ronak Husni (Paperback - 1 May 2008)
10.49