5.0 out of 5 stars Breakthru Thinhing
The philosophy of "all you need in life is a positive mental attitude" has been discredited. People are recognising more and more the need for reality when it comes to mental and spiritual health. This short book, for me, has distilled the love of God for seekers as well as followers of Jesus Christ in a way that is quite liberating.
Move from the false self towards...
Published on 24 July 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars gift of being yourself
I have still not received this book, this order was placed in January 2011 I have tried contacting you on several occasions but have not yet received a reply.
Please advise
Penny Knock
Published on 6 Feb 2011 by penlen5

5.0 out of 5 stars Breakthru Thinhing, 24 July 2004
By A Customer
Move from the false self towards the true self. David Benner's approach is logical and honest. Using some great Biblical examples plus some self effacing examples makes this a "must read" for anyone who wants to grow as a Christian or perhaps discover the fullness of Gods love for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've EVER read, 18 July 2012
This review is from: GIFT OF BEING YOURSELF PB: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery (Paperback)
I read this book because it was recommended in Discovering the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius (by Larry Warner). I can honestly say this has been one of the best books I have ever read in my life!

It has been so life changing for me in my relationship with God and discovering who I am. The book is insightful but more than that it is practical. After David Benner unpacks something he doesn't just leave you there he gives you clear and practical steps to connecting with God and journeying with Him yourself.

The most valuable thing I have gained is the exercise of meditating on the Gospels by being guided by the Holy Spirit and using your imagination. I really feel that I have got to know Jesus in a fresh and real way.

The only disappointments with the book were that it is quite short (110 pages) and the front cover is not great! But don't let that put you off, I really can't recommend this book enough.
It is the type of book you can come back to at a later date and be encouraged once again.

I don't normally do Amazon reviews but I felt so passionate about this book that I felt compelled to do it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful book, 27 Nov 2013
Eye-opening to the reason why we struggle even as Christians. God will only help us be ourselves, not any other version we have developed and present to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful - a perfect blend of modern psychological understanding and Christian spirituality, 26 Oct 2013
This was a magnificent tool for anyone looking to understand themselves and their spirituality further. It's not a text book, and David leaves you plenty of space to make his thoughts your own and apply them as you are ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss it, 13 April 2013
Suggest you buy multi-copies of This book, along with Benner's 'Surrender to love' to give away to friends. Easy to read but best read carefully and prayerfully for life-giving transforming encounter with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars nothing to be afraid of, 15 Jan 2013
Mr. D. P. Jay (UK) - See all my reviews
So many Christians still think that `self-denial' means being negative, fighting against your (sinful) desires and living lives of martyrdom. It makes them stay in abusive relationships, can by psychologically harmful and spiritually deadening.

These people think that this represents orthodox Christianity. It doesn't: look at the sayings, quoted in this book, or some of the great heroes of the faith:

`Grant Lord that I may know myself that I may know thee' - St Augustine

"There is no deep knowing of God without a deep knowing of self and no deep knowing of self without a deep knowing of God."' Calvin.

".....a humble self-knowledge is a surer way to God than a search after deep learning," Thomas a Kempis

There is only one problem on which all my existence, my peace, and my happiness depend: to discover myself in discovering God If I find Him I will find myself and if I find my true self I will find Him. Thomas Merton

So where all this self-denial asnd tasking up one one's cross come in? The `self' to which we die is the `false self' - that self image and way of behaving that we have developed as a way of protecting ourselves from the demands and criticisms of others, from that which older generations knew as `the world, the flesh and the devil'.

"....you will never find this (your unique vocation and deepest fulfilment)"until you have excluded all those superficial and fleeting possibilities of being and doing with which you toy out of curiosity or wonder or greed, and which hinder you from casting anchor in the experience of the mystery of life, and the consciousness of the talent entrusted to you which is your I." Dag Hammarskjold

That will mean the death of our carefully cultivated false self. This hurts, to say the very least. Dom M Basil Pennington,

As the author puts it: Created from love, of love and for love, our existence makes no sense apart from Divine love. If God loves and accepts you as a sinner, how can you do less? Self-acceptance always precedes genuine self-surrender and self-transformation.....With a little reflection, most of us can become aware of masks that we first adopted as strategies to avoid feelings of vulnerability but that have become parts of our social self...... Nothing is more important, for if we find our true self we find God, and if we find God, we find our most authentic self.

We speak of `knowing God'. The self-deniers would say this is more important than knowing ourselves. Te author says that they amount, roughly, to the same thing: Truly transformational knowledge is always personal, never merely objective. It involves knowing of not merely knowing about. And it is always relational. It grows out of a relationship to the object that is known -- whether this is God or one's self.

This is not only relevant to the spiritual life; it has ramifications for our education system. The right wing exalts factual knowledge. Those of us who are religious educationalists have long put two attainment targets on an equal footing: learning from as well as learning about.

There is a lot of sound sense about the notion of `vocation' It is not just a call to a specific job, e.g. vicar, nurse. It is about the whole of our life. A particular role may lead to our flourishing but it is the flourishing, not the role, to which we are called: much bigger than a career, job or occupation-our unique calling will be based on our gifts and abilities, will grow out of our deepest desires, and will always involve some response to the needs of the world.' Gordon Smith

"the place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet." Frederick Buechner

"We are all called to Christ-following and loving service of God and 'neighbour. But the specific call that is rooted in your unique identity, gifts and personality will be found as you come to know both God and self in Christian community. as for Jesus, this discernment must always occur in the light of our present life circumstances. This means that attentiveness to God's call is a lifelong matter.

"Also, a vocation is to something that we enjoy, though it might not seem obvious at a superficial glance: God sometimes calls people to a cause not born of their own abilities or most superficial desires. But his call is always absolutely congruent with our destiny, our truest self, our identity and the shape of our being." David Benner

A few quibbles:

The author has a lot of time for the Enneagram as a tool for self-knowledge. Fine - but what about the better-known and more widely used (though abused) Myers-Briggs?

The author talks of Simeon and Anne being present at Jesus's circumcision (rather than at his presentation in the temple thirty-three days later). I hope this is a mistake rather than ignorance.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great great book!, 30 Jun 2012
I was given a copy of this book a few years ago and found it to be a wonderful gift. David G. Benner's insights are illuminating in regard to how we relate to God. I have since bought several copies for friends and am about to purchase another right now. Definitely recommend this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars gift of being yourself, 6 Feb 2011
Please advise
Penny Knock

GIFT OF BEING YOURSELF PB: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery
GIFT OF BEING YOURSELF PB: The Sacred Call to Self-Discovery by BENNER DAVID (Paperback - 19 Nov 2004)
Used & New from: 19.75