5.0 out of 5 stars For once: a cliche that is actually true! "It works"!
Published on 24 Jan. 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars I hated this book so much, I actually threw it in the trash!
Ferber's method for getting babies and small children to sleep alone is to allow the baby or child to cry for longer periods each night until he/she finally gives up and falls asleep. The parent is supposed to watch the clock and not go in for a specified period of time--and then only to briefly reassure the child, not pick him up or necessarily get him to stop...
Published on 26 Nov. 1997

5.0 out of 5 stars For once: a cliche that is actually true! "It works"!, 24 Jan. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems: A Practical and Comprehensive Guide for Parents (Paperback)
When I ordered Ferber's book, my husband and were sceptical to say the least. "Here's another book that promises you what sounded like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!" But, after 4 months of four hourly feeds day AND night to my baby daughter, I was ready to test anyone's theory! The thought of a full night's sleep was too tempting to miss out on. Ferber's technique is simple and easy to follow. We read all the appropriate chapters but ended up ear-marking the page with the timetable as this basically is the crux of the book. We couldn't believe it but after 3 nights, our daughter was sleeping through and not demanding feeds! To think, before I read this book, I was just prepared to get up and feed her as she demanded even if it wasn't necessary. I truly believe now that babies DO wake in the night out of habit once they are old enough to not need the feeds for nutritional reasons. Thank you for all the advice. Don't be skeptical ................. just buy the book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Understanding sleep, 28 Feb. 2001
I borrowed this from a friend to read out of interest, even though my baby started sleeping really well from about three months. I found that we were already following a lot of the advice - like not rocking her to sleep and giving her a routine that suits both her and us for both the day and night. But I wish I had read this book before she was born, because it gives such a valuable insight into sleep generally, and how your baby's sleep patterns and requirements will change over the weeks and months. In retrospect I realise that in the first couple of months she actually needed more sleep than I let her have - I would get her up again in the evening if she woke up when really the poor little thing was probably in a transition state from stage 4 sleep and would have preferred to be allowed to fall asleep again!
It's an excellent book and has really given me confidence. Also, I now understand some of my own sleeping habits - a typical 25-hour cycle!
The only things I think the book could improve on are a) a chapter just about the development of a child's sleep rhythmns from birth - and how to encourage a healthy pattern of sleep as the weeks go by so that problems don't arise; and b) maybe a checklist of what best to do at various times in the night when the child wakes up and fusses.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most help I've had in 8 months., 12 Oct. 2010
A. Dunlop "Delphi" (Chester, UK) - See all my reviews
My baby was waking every two hours for feeds throughout the night. Some nights it was every hour for part of the night. Sleep deprivation over a long period can seriously impact on your life - your physical health, your emotional and mental well-being, your relationships, your ability to function well on even the basic things, let alone a paid job. I have an older child who is at school, and I had never had the problems with sleep that I had with my second. I didn't think I would need help when I'd done it all before.
Scouring the internet for advice and tips, I was always coming across the same view - that making your baby cry for long periods of time was cruel and damaging. Every mother I spoke to who sympathised with me seemed to fall into one of two groups. Those who felt the same as the views on the internet - leaving a baby to cry is cruel, or those who had not been able to do anything to improve their child's sleep, and put up with it for another year or more. I was not prepared to leave it, and so, influenced by the 'crying is cruel' brigade, I tried the 'No Cry Sleep Solution'. But it didn't work for me, even though I followed all the advice and stuck with it for two months. It made things worse. My baby cried anyway, because he always cries when he is tired.
Yes - it is tough leaving your baby to cry, but you may as well get used to it. As children get older, they get even more gifted at working your heart strings. You need to learn now where to draw the line and be strict. If you can do this, it will improve your confidence as a parent no end. You need to take control. Once your baby is sleeping soundly every night, and waking up with smiles of love, you won't be feeling cruel anymore. My baby is also starting to nap better in the day as well! It's just a few days or a week of difficulty at the most, and then you have your problems solved. Some have managed it in just a day.
What I like about Ferber is his no nonsense approach. He clearly describes the different types of sleep problem scenario. You identify which one fits your scenario, and take the appropriate action. This guy has a hell of a lot of experience of sleep problems, and I trust his judgement.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for all sleepless parents, 7 Feb. 2000
Before reading this book my life was not my own. My daughter was 6 months old and I had not had more than 4 hours sleep at a time and completely at the end of my tether. I spoke to everyone I could to get advice on what to do, my GP, HV, other parents, etc. I tried everything, but nothing worked. But still I kept on looking for the miracle cure.....and I certainly found it in this book. It is now 5 days since purchasing this book and I had 10 good hours sleep last night. My daughter has responded extremely well to Ferbers tried and tested methods. I have since realised it was not her problem but my problem of responding to her every whim. If you are as desperate as I was then this is by far the best advice I have received and you should buy the book .... but do be prepared to listen to some crying.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works!, 11 Sept. 2001
By A Customer
I'm buying this book as last time I borrowed it - from a friend after 6 mnths of broken nights. I read it the same day, we started putting it into practice the same night, and three nights later we had our first full nights sleep.
I've got a newborn now (7 yrs later) & want to start off on the right foot this time. I'd recommend it (I've given it as a present several times...)

5.0 out of 5 stars I got my life back after reading this!, 20 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
My husband and I had no "life" for six months after our son was born. This was because he needed to be rocked to sleep for every nap and at bedtime, for up to an hour. He slept very lightly and would wake up 6-8 times a night because his dummy had fallen out of his mouth and we had to rock him again. I was a nervous wreck and in desperation, turned to Ferber. Many will say it's cruel to let your baby cry but if you do it in the way which Ferber details, it is not cruel and has no lasting negative effects on your baby because you are consistently reassuring your child of your presence but not "helping" him or her to get to sleep. It was awful the first few nights but after a week, my son has enjoyed great sleep and we are all happier. We now have a daughter and from the start, we did not let her have sleep associations like being rocked or having a dummy. She slept through the night at 5 weeks and at 11 mths now, is an excellent sleeper. I have lent my copy to many friends and those who have followed Ferber's advice are all happier and better rested.

5.0 out of 5 stars We have our life back!!!, 22 May 2001
By A Customer
My wife and I read the reviews with a little trepidation - would it work for us? After a year of broken nights and very early mornings we were beginning to wonder if Nye would ever sleep through the whole night. In at the deep end and the book arrived two days later, a quick read and put the dream into action and bang! it worked, three days later a whole night sleep and he now goes down in his cot without any crying - bliss!! It is difficult at first but this tough love does work and it works well for both the baby and it's parents. If you are like us buy it it is worth every penny!!

5.0 out of 5 stars At the end of your tether?, 23 Oct. 2001
By A Customer
'At the end of your tether?' is the title of the first chapter of this book. Last Thursday morning I most certainly was at the end of my tether. My 9 month old son had been up through the night and then awake from 3am - by 7am I was tearful and thought I had to do something about this! I logged on to Amazon, read the reviews for this book and bought it. It arrived on Friday and this is now Tuesday night - after reading the book we started the recommended treatment on Sunday night. The first night was awful having to listen to him cry but it worked and he slept through after waking up just once. Last night he slept 11 hours which is wonderful for my husband and I. Don't wait 8 weeks like we did - buy this book now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ferber: Read, and Believe, and Thou Shalt Be Saved., 3 April 1999
By A Customer
As a mother of three children, all of whom come from a family that, by nature, sleeps lightly and little, I had my work cut out for me. But thank heaven for Dr. Ferber, whose intelligence, scientific diligence and plain old common sense gave us the deeper understanding of the sleep process we needed to make it all work. This book is worth more than all other parental advice books put together. We couldn't have survived without it. I pity those parents who lived in the Dark Ages B.F. (before Ferber).

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want your child to sleep through the night, buy this book, 17 April 2010
Mr. R. Patel (Finchley, London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Our five month old child was needed to be rocked or fed to sleep at 9:30-10:00 pm every night and then waking up at 3:30 for a feed. With other friends babies of similar ages sleeping through by now we felt we needed to take action. Our evenings were being taken up trying to settle him and my wife especially needed a break from this and some sense of normality once again

We brought this book based on the reviews, and even though the first few nights of having to hear him cry to sleep were hard, within a week he settles easily now when we put him in the cot at 7:30 and sleeps through the night.

Hes doing better for it, as well as getting good naps in his cot during the day and we feel like we have some of our life back. In short, get this book, stick with the advice, no matter how harsh some of it may seem, a couple of days and you will see the difference.

Used & New from: £0.01