5.0 out of 5 stars THE Biodynamic Calender, 6 Nov. 2012
J. Warham (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Biodynamic Sowing and Planting Calendar 2013 (Paperback)
The Calender for Biodynamic Gardeners.

This is NOT a Gardening By the Moon, guide nor a day to day garden planner, but for those with some knowledge of biodynamics it is an essential annual guide for gardeners, beekeepers, and those who manage livestock with biodynamics in mind.
Since the death of Maria Thun, this year, who created this publication her family continue to produce this guide.
For those new to biodynamics its worth perhaps buying a few books or checking out some online forums to get you started:)
Maria Thun has researched biodynamic planting for over 40 years, with each day and crop recorded with scientific precision.
As we grow plants and keep bees ourselves it has become an excellent tool for producing crops and keeping our bees:)

5.0 out of 5 stars An alternative approach to growing vegetables, 3 Feb. 2013
Maria Thun's approach to horticulture was based on understanding the relationship bewteen plants and planetary influences, particularly the moon, If you think this was an air-head approach, then just read this book: the depth of research that underpinned her work was awesome. She always rigorously tested her ideas and recorded the results assiduously. Also when she died, she merited an obituary in the Daily Telegraph. One day the materialistic and arrogant stance of present-day, mainstream science will give way to a broader spectrum of knowledge and wisdom, and not be confined to only crediting something if you happen to know the nature of the mechanism or process that underlies it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Biodynamic Sowing and planting works!, 24 Dec. 2012
When I plant or transplant or harvest according to the biodynamic calendar, my harvest yields increase and are superior in quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Planting guide, 11 Jan. 2013
Very quick delivery and exactly what I needed. Good price for new book. This book advises on the optimum time to plant/prune/harvest different types of plants according to the cycles of the planets and the moon, based on scientific studies and results monitored over decades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Resourceful Guide, 9 Jun. 2013
I have purchase the BSPC every year for about 6 years and can honestly say I am a believer. Some like to garden in an organised way and I am one of those people who need to get organised so to be advised the best day to plant root crops - potatoes help me get my act together. This year I was awaiting surgery and had some time on my hands in May, I usually write notes in the margins of the book as what crops I have planted on the recommended days, this year because I was home I was amazed to actually see how quickly the potatoes planted on 'root' days grew, especially the ones in grow bags, then went that phase passed they stopped growing, and again, 2 weeks later went through a huge surge. I will be happy if we get a bumper crop.

Maria Thun for many years added to the editorial and this year I missed her writings, she was an inspirational woman, now that she has 'passed over' I am glad her son and daughter will continue with the calendar.

5.0 out of 5 stars for succesfull sowing & planting, 8 Feb. 2013
Very good, extensive explanation, and very thorough! I am very content with it. Of course it takes time to be able to actually comprehend and use it to the full! So 5 stars from me

4.0 out of 5 stars The guide, 27 May 2013
This is a great guide for anyone interested in gardening in a more involved way - i.e. at it's most basic, taking account of the effect of the moon's progress through our sky on the sap rising and falling on plants. It also gives interesting views on the effects of different planets' positions on all parts of plant life. It is a fascinating read, but also a great guide to someone just needing a bit of structure about the best sowing, transplanting, pruning and digging times.

5.0 out of 5 stars I buy it every year - highly recommended, 27 April 2013
This is a brilliant book, each year I learn something more and I use it as a guideline for my allotment planting.
I have found it to be invaluable and I enjoy working within the framework this bio dynamic calender provides,
helping me to make decisions on when to plant and what. It all makes sense when you find the rhythm
and start to understand the reasoning behind it. Wouldn't be without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide, 5 Nov. 2013
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in biodynamics or planning to experiment with biodynamic growing. My only reservation about buying it is that I got the 2013 calendar when I really needed it for next year. However, at the price it was worth keeping as I can make an informed start next year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 19 April 2014
Mrs. Janet E. Hine "ponyrider37" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
Well packaged, delivered and good value.
Superb book of guidelines to biodynamic growing.
Well set out so all the explanations of the symbols used (so the calendar is not too cluttered to read) are easy to find, and the vast amount of information is accessible.
Great book.

The Biodynamic Sowing and Planting Calendar 2013
The Biodynamic Sowing and Planting Calendar 2013 by Matthias K. Thun (Paperback - 20 Sept. 2012)