Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 January 2008
This book grips my three year old son. It concisely takes the child on a journey into the fantastical with the thrills and the ever lurking danger that you'll never want to return yet reassures the child that they can always come safely home. It is an archetypal fairy story that Jung would love but probably not quite as much as a preschooler!
on 19 January 2011
Another beautiful book by Sibylle Von Olfers. These books, along with Elsa Beskow's creations, should be on every child's bookshelf. I would give them 6 stars if it were possible.
on 20 May 2014
I really enjoyed this story and have read it numerous times with my 5 yr old daughter and also my class ( I teach Reception). Its a magical ( and slightly eerie) story about a little girl that goes on an adventure with the snow children. The children that I have read it to have all enjoyed it and it's a bit different from a lot of the modern stories. I was able to pose lots of questions to the children about whether they would have liked to have gone to the snow castle. It's a story that was written a very long time ago but it's still enjoyable today.
on 10 December 2012
My grandchild likes this read to her over and over again. It is a beautiful tale, beautifully written and with superb illustrations.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 February 2016
This is a cute little book - the pictures would make wonderful Christmas cards, as little red-cloaked Poppy finds herself in the world of the snow children.
Unfortunately the story (such as it is) is banal in the extreme. No moments of excitement hold the reader - Poppy is taken to the nice snow-queen, where they have a birthday party. And that's about it.
Probably more of a purchase for the adult reader who likes the art work than a young, plot-driven child.
on 23 March 2013
I sent this to my friend who loves snow and she said the story is lovely and the illustrations are absolutely beautiful.
on 14 January 2013
The book is lovely and i can only recommend it. my child enjoys reading it and is good to get them closer to nature
on 25 February 2015
Of all the many many books in our life and libraries, this is one that my boys keep coming back to - again and again. I know the words off by heart. There are a few words that I tweak as I read it aloud for 2015 in English, but that's just my fussiness. We went on to buy other Von Olfers books after this one - and we've never been disappointed.
on 27 March 2014
Very sweet, charming story and lovely illustrations too. My children love this kind of book and it grows up with them too (they still love it and one is a teenager!)
on 8 March 2016
great children's story book my grandchildren love it