‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic tales, beautifully illustrated, 16 July 2012
This review is from: An Illustrated Treasury of Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales (Hardcover)
I've been looking for something like this as a gift for my son for a while - there are a couple of really good Scottish tale collections, but none that are illustrated. Most of the stories in the collection are relatively well known (in Scotland at least) and newcomers to the stories will recognise similarities with other tales (for example, 'the wee bannock' is similar to 'the gingerbread man' and 'whuppity stoorie' is similar to 'Rumpelstiltskin'). There are ten tales altogether, plus one more to conclude the book. The illustrations are very beautiful, and there are very few text-only pages, so enough to keep the attention of younger children (my son is just under three). The overall presentation is very similar to the story collections published by Barefoot Books, which my son loves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!, 8 Oct. 2012
I bought 2 of these books for my nieces who are 10 and 7. They both loved the book as its the kind of book you want to treasure especially as its Scottish folklore and them being from Scotland. The illustration are beautiful as with all of Kate Leiper's work!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 14 Jan. 2013
I bought this book as a present for my friends children and when I looked at the beautiful pictures and captivating stories, I bought another one to keep for myself (I'm 34!). The stories are beautiful illustrated and the stories are a delight to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 22 Aug. 2013
Very well written. Beautiful and inspiring illustrations. The stories are interesting, light hearted and interesting.
There is always a certain wisdom in the stories which often end with a positive twist.
"My favorite story was Rashie coat-a more interesting version of Cinderella" says my 14 year old daughter.
She doesn't like stories that are depressing or heavy and so these were excellent for her.
My 9 year old son also loves them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A piece of art, 15 Jan. 2013
This is a truly beautiful book to own. I keep getting it out just to look at Kate's stunning illustrations which set the atmosphere for the whole collection of tales. I purchased further copies as Christmas presents for other oldies so that they could read the stories to their grandchildren but two of them have reported that it's too good to let the kids near it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stories, beautifully illustrated, 6 Nov. 2013
I bought 4 copies for great nieces and nephews and just had to have one for myself. It is a beautiful book and the illustrations by Kate Leiper are outstanding. We don't have children ourselves but feel sure that the book will be greatly appreciated by our nieces/nephews as they grow up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Christening Gift, 20 Aug. 2013
I bought this for a friends little boy as a Christening gift - it is a beautiful book - the stories are concise, well written and the illustrations are lovely. I would imagine a child would find it attractive and entertaining to look at. A lovely gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book is wonderful - beautifully produced and illustrated, 23 Sept. 2014
J Payne "jp003h2341" (Richmond, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm in the slightly unusual position of reading stories to an 8 year old girl every night, while her father gets her younger, autistic sister to bed. Their mother died of cancer a few weeks ago. (To coin a phrase, you couldn't invent it). Anyway, this book is wonderful - beautifully produced and illustrated, and with marvellous stories. Even an Englishman like me finds himself falling into a bad Scottish accent for some parts. Very highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars I would give 10 stars for this book, 22 Oct. 2012
E. Winter (NEAR EDINBURGH SCOTLAND) - See all my reviews
This is the most beautifully illustrated book I have ever bought .It is stunning and very well done .The stories are significant to my family and as I have an Irish grandson and a Scottish grandson , I shall buy another book to allow them both to have one each.It is the colours too so lovely the illustrations could actually make lovely nursery pictures if you could bear to cut the book that is!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, buy it!, 1 Sept. 2014
Absolutely fabulous book. My 5 year old is completely enthralled by these stories. Rashie Coat and the one about the Water Kelpie are her favourites. I also love the little description of the origins of each story at the start of each one. I have since purchased another 2 as presents for friends as I thought they were so wonderful.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

An Illustrated Treasury of Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales
An Illustrated Treasury of Scottish Folk and Fairy Tales by Theresa Breslin (Hardcover - 2 July 2012)