4.0 out of 5 stars Another exellent installment
In the first, we had Tam Linn.
In the second, we had the Faerie Flag of Dunvegan.
Now we have the Blue Men of the Minch. I think I see a pattern! Always this series draws a great deal of inspiration from at least one Scottish Folktale.

Published on 19 Sept. 2011 by Alastair Mciver

2.0 out of 5 stars h ireland
its alright. I think the author should trust her audience more and complicate the personalitys of her characters more. Eveeryone is too nice and noble, (Yan is really begining to grate maybe he should have be put out to grass). also the practicalitys of ferrying his horsy bod around is a bit much. I think there is great potential but not enough originality
Published 20 months ago by hugh

4.0 out of 5 stars Another exellent installment, 19 Sept. 2011
Alastair Mciver (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Storm Singing and Other Tangled Tasks (Kelpies: First Aid for Fairies) (Paperback)
In the first, we had Tam Linn.
In the second, we had the Faerie Flag of Dunvegan.

Lari Don, however, finally offers some explanation for the strange behaviours of the Blue Men, who are thought to jump out the water and drown sailors who are not quick enough with a rhyme.

We also meet some mermaids and, yes, Selkies! Rhona's back! Yay!!!

All the things that make us love Lari Don's books are here: riddles, almost photographic descriptions of Scottish landscapes, moral dilemmas (the ethics of cheating, etc) and a measure of uncertainty as to who the baddy is. And it all builds up to quite a magnificent climax. This is not my favourite of the First Aid series, but it is my favourite climax!

All in all, a wonderful, musical adventure, with all Helen's friendships put to the test in a way which makes me wonder what's going to happen in Fa4!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 20 Jun. 2011
This is even better than the first two in the series. Constantly exciting with twists and turns I hadn't seen coming. My Eight year old daughter loves it and is already reading it for the second time. She is also desperate to enter the competition for kids to come up with a location for the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb third episode in the story, 3 Aug. 2011
These books (see also First Aid for Faeries & Other Fabled Beasts and Wolf Notes)don't receive enough attention. They are so much better than most of the copycat fayre being offered to young readers. Really well drawn characters, adventure and menace and a unique mix of British fairytale culture and modern life. The stories are unlike anything else you've read. They are really well written with good use of language, but bound along without stalling. I have read these to my own children and all the classes I've taught since discovering them. They love them. Boys and girls aged 7 - 11 all enjoy the stories (adult reading for the younger audience)and don't want to put them down. I can't recommend them enough. Unlike many other books, the sequels don't disappoint. Great stories and I hear from the author's website there are more on the way...can't wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars Storm singing, 20 Sept. 2013
It was page turning! And I could always get an image in my mind and I dying to red Maze Running!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Storm singing, 31 July 2014
BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!#I loved reading this book it is a amazing read.I would recommend this book for six years or older.

2.0 out of 5 stars h ireland, 4 Sept. 2013
hugh (Ireland) - See all my reviews

Storm Singing and Other Tangled Tasks (Kelpies: First Aid for Fairies)
Used & New from: £0.01