5.0 out of 5 stars A reminder of childhood, 13 Oct. 2004
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
I think many of us had a book similar to this when we were little. Fairy tales full of wicked trolls and brave princesses, evil giants and clever woodcutters. Though these stories tread familiar ground they're not the traditional tales told in Britain. They're a wonderful addition.
Of course, this book wouldn't be complete without the beautiful illustrations by John Bauer, a contemporary of Arthur Rackham and highly respected artist. They alternate between the dark and comic and perfectly add to and enhance the stories.
John Bauer was, I believe, an influence on the wonderful Brian Froud, who has released numerous books of art featuring fairies and goblins.
A great book for reading to yourself or your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazingly beautiful, 3 April 2008
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
Highly recommended for anyone interested in illustration, fairy tales, Swedish culture... Best John Bauer's product available that I know of. The tales are delicious and the book is big format, with good quality paper and drawings reproductions.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Bauer, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
This is my favourite tales from my youth, illustrated by my favourite artist and in English so my British partner can enjoy them too. I cant praise it enough and it arrived quickly! I love it! Buy it if you like old tales about trolls and princesses! Or if you simply like the style of John Bauers dark forests, detailed, charming trolls and golden maids. Its truly a classic and the translations and as good as they get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swedish children's favourite- dark and beautiful, 23 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
I bought this for my friend's son- his mother was brought up in Sweden, wherein I believe John Bauer's illustration work is well-known and much treasured. My friend's little boy is too young to read it himself (he is about 4 years old), but will enjoy looking at the beautiful pictures and being read to, and hopefully read it himself when he is older.

The illustrations have many familiar elements to them (too many to really go into- a testament partly, I think, to his influence upon traditional children's book illustration and also of the time in which he lived). To be simplistic in my description of them, they are somewhat reminiscent of Arthur Rackham's muted colour palette and sensibilities, but more grotesque- not in a very frightening manner, but 'grotesquerie' to me seems part of Bauer's style. It is also worth noting that it is rightly so, as Swedish fairy tales largely revolve around the doings of mischievous trolls and their interaction with the human world. In my experience many children love a slightly darker tale with creepy strange pictures and will spend a lot of time poring over them, and will return to them time and again.

As I said before, I had bought this book as a present, 'sight unseen'. Once I received it I had a look and quickly became entranced myself- by the illustrations, and by the fascinating stories and cultural inheritance of Sweden. I'm afraid I can't remember much about the stories themselves, but they were well-written, and varied in length from quite short to much longer tales, so could be suitable for a quick read, or daily instalments if reading aloud to children. I loved it so much, that I immediately bought myself a copy too which I spent several nights happily reading! It was also surprisingly thick, so there is quite a lot to keep you (or your child, if you can bear to part with it!) entertained.

My friend (a trained Illustrator) was thrilled to receive it and, like me, spent much time looking through it. There has not been time yet for her to read it to her little boy, so I can't report back on how he has found it, however she is really looking forward to doing so and thinks he will love it. For just over £10, this was a purchase that will be used and treasured, with plenty to keep you going back to it. For those who love traditional stories, folk tales and detailed, darkly beautiful illustration, I believe this is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been reading folk tales for many years, both ..., 22 Oct. 2014
J Payne "jp003h2341" (Richmond, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
I've been reading folk tales for many years, both the adult versions and those aimed at children. I expected at least some of the tales in this book to be familiar - many themes are common across the world, and Sweden isn't that far from the UK. But most of the tales were quite new to me. The style, translations, illustrations - the whole presentation - are absolutely first-rate. If I had to choose one book for reading to an eight-year old girl (as in my case), this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book with excellent drawings, 18 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
I am very satisfied with this book, nice outlook, good stories and illustrated with real arts. Also a Good quality book regarding the item.
However note that do not match it with the other book called "Swedish fairy tales" as the 2 books contain exactly the same stories and pictures, only the hardcover and publisher different.

5.0 out of 5 stars great tales and superb illustrations, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
if you are looking for something new after all the snow whites and red riding hoods,
swedish folk tales is the right book for you

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for children and Adults alike, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
Beautifully illustrated Folk Tales,which bring alive ancient tales of Princesses,Trolls and Giants. Parents will enjoy reading this book to their children.As with most Folk Tales,there is meaning and wisdom to be found in each story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing, me and my family have loved john bauer's ..., 4 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
Absolutely amazing, me and my family have loved john bauer's work since I was little, and this made the perfect birthday pressie :) absolutely beautiful work and wonderful stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations, 18 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Swedish Folk Tales (Hardcover)
Read some of the stories when I was young and now read them to my grandchildren who enjoy some stories more than others in the book. The illustrations are beautiful.

Swedish Folk Tales
Swedish Folk Tales by Polly Lawson (Hardcover - 26 Aug. 2004)