Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 May 2011
Being an avid fan of Mr O'Carroll's work, I bought this book knowing that it wasn't part of the Agnes Brown world.

I wasn't disappointed either. Brendan's wit and humour are in abundance in this novel, despite it having a fairly serious plot line.

The story itself winds it way through the life of Sparrow McCabe, an Irish boxer who finds himself unable to lift the European crown and ends up working for a local gangster.

I found that I was reading the final couple of chapters with my map of Dublin to hand - having visited Dublin many times, I was interested to trace the route that Sparrow takes - I will walk that route next time I am there!

For anyone who hasn't read the Agnes Brown stories, read this and you will get a feel for Brendan O'Carroll's style, full of humour, wit, imagination and passion.

Throroughly recommended read.
on 5 November 2004
for all of those children of irish parents this is the series of books for you, hearing tales from my parents of life in ireland has always held dear memories for me, I started to read these books and once started could not put down I have laughed till my stomach hurt and cried whilst still laughing to say these are a must have books is an understatement you will live your life with Agnes Brown share her ups and downs and all the rest of her life discoveries I could not put them down and went straight on to read the rest of the trilogy happy reading is an understatement
on 17 December 2012
Just good subject matter from an imaginative source of life experiences in the early fifties when life in the British isles was hard for all working classes, and comedy especially slapstick type and realism comedy relating to everyday activities was welcome relief to the masses.
on 3 September 2011
This is another entertaining story form Brendan O'Carroll. Not as hilarious as the Agnes Browne novels but well worth reading. And it is not without some laughs and excellent humour.
What I fail to understand however, is the two different titles. Is it "The Scrapper" or is it "The Sparrows Trap"?
on 19 September 2011
read all of brendan o,carrolls books, all brilliant, and this one is i think the best. i must find out if there are any that i have missed.
on 5 March 2013
This is simply Sparrows Trap re-released with a new cover and a different name. It is great if you have not read Sparrows Trap but a waste of money if you have.
on 13 July 2012
This book is totally different to the Mrs Browne genre. Brendan has done it again he is a brilliant writer. He doesn't just do comedy but does intrigue and action also. This is one that you should definately read.
on 30 March 2013
Well when i started to read was initially disapointed as so unlike the mammy trilogy but once into the story couldn't stop reading until i finished it . Something different and very much enjoyed .
on 18 November 2013
Whilst the style of writing was lightly humorous, I didn't find nearly enough in the plot to interest me. Cardboard cut-out villains and heroes, no depth to the storyline. Sorry Brendan - didn't like it!
on 25 April 2015
This was an "ok" book and I did like the Dublin Humor - but James Joyce this is not.
The story was boringly predictable, about the local boy who done good (could only have been a boxer or a footballer for this to work) but then falls upon hard times and ends up on the wrong side of the law. But HOORAY in the end good presides over evil and they all live happily every after. ....... classic comic book hero stuff !!