on 17 May 2011
I am Learning Welsh as part of my degree (In Wales, of course)and have all the notes, course books and syllabus. I brought this book as I wanted something 'simple' and portable to carry around.

What I found was that this book has more practically helpful hints and tips on how to structure Welsh sentences and phrases than my other material. I struggle slightly with the "dont worry, you'll get it in time" approach to learning. This book explains the simple things to you that make learning Welsh that little bit easier.

A great little book that is genuinely useful and will help you improve your Welsh as well as providing a phrase book and mini dictionary that you can easily carry.

Small, cheap and effective. A very good buy.

*As an addition to this review now that I have studied Welsh to more advanced level. I would like to point out that this book has a slight tendency towards 'South Walian'. Due to the 'basic' nature of this book at this level it shouldn't cause too much of a problem though.*
on 15 July 2009
Size matters? - well yes but don't be put off by how small this one is. Compared with other phrasebooks this book is packed with lots of information, has a good structure and even a dictionary. I like the fact that every phrase has an approximate pronunciation. The pictures of Welsh signs (eg for an optometrist's (optegydd) practice) and places plus rather happy looking people in pubs helps break up the text.
on 23 March 2010
This book has become my bible! It's a grammar, dictionary and phrasebook all in one and it uses REALIFE phrases! (A previous phrasebook I bought included such useless gems as 'are you a keen yachtsman?' and 'the tramp is on the bench.') It includes nice photographs to break up what could otherwise be a scary cluster of phrases!
The pronunciation is also very helpful. Llanfarchiadau - this is the best book in my growing Welsh language collection :)
on 28 September 2013
I bought this a "jokey" present for a friend going to a new job in Wales (I am Welsh). But , it is actually a really good little book, and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 8 August 2012
I bought this for an English friend who is keen for us to speak Welsh to each other and he is delighted. It's also made a Welsh friend of his who doesn't speak much Welsh; pronounce Welsh words correctly, RESULT, especially as he would argue.
on 6 December 2011
not lived in wales for a long time now. my welsh is abysmal. This little book serves as a simple reminder of phrases in common use,
a springboard which hopefully will awaken my memory. Will be equally useful for those with no welsh to get on the ladder, if only to understand some of the phrases used around them in welsh speaking areas. Distinctions (sometimes) between S & N Walian wording. Very useful - glad I bought it.
on 20 October 2013
Many popular phrases which are a great help for Welsh learners Pocket sized book that you can take with you wherever you go .
on 27 January 2016
Very happy with the book and it has been very useful so far as I learn Welsh.
It's broken down into scenarios and sections (shopping, restaurants, etc.) and I find the phonetics column very helpful when needing to know how to pronounce the more difficult words. A good dictionary is tagged on at the end also and serves as a useful reference.
The only way I'd like to see it improved is to make the physical size of the book a little smaller as like the Lonely Planet Phrasebook series - so it can easily fit into pockets, etc...
Other than that, really happy with it and shall use it often as a reference.
on 18 March 2016
I have Mr. Gruffudd's 'Hands Free Welsh' which compliments this book.
It is a difficult subject to learn. The books do a good job but with the Street Welsh I found for instance, that 'dd' is pronounced 'th' then we are shown the incorrect description in the guide section. It's simply baffling.

eg: ' at midday ' ganol dydd gahnol deedd. By the rule shouldn't that be ' deeth ' ? And there's more. Very frustrating.
on 27 March 2015
This book ignores the obvious fact that the vast majority of Welsh speakers speak English. E.g. If you need this book, no doctor is going to speak Welsh to you - it would be dangerous. "I need an ambulance" "I've broken my leg" - space wasted which could have been filled with basic conversation ideas. Useful grammar section though.